The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 8, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #14,911 of 18,652

Yes, it was quite frustrating and there was a little divided nation between members wanting to take hammers to their units and others who expressed no issues, or at most very little. The entire reason I ended up with another DX50 unit was because I borrowed one after being told "it's now stable bro, check it out" which I did and was pleasantly surprised, so purchased the unit from the loan member. 

is your brother using an amp with his DX50? I did demo DX90 about a month ago for two weeks, it was great.

PS: The reason DX90 released virtually bug free is because it basically uses the same OS as DX50, so all the bugs had been ironed out previously.

To say it differently, DX90 started with the stable build from DX50 (1.2.8). The core software should be identical around 99%. The only difference is the hardware calls (e.g volume control) because of different DAC. 

It's virtually bug free, but inevitably inherit the remaining quirks and issues.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #14,912 of 18,652
Yes, it was quite frustrating and there was a little divided nation between members wanting to take hammers to their units and others who expressed no issues, or at most very little. The entire reason I ended up with another DX50 unit was because I borrowed one after being told "it's now stable bro, check it out" which I did and was pleasantly surprised, so purchased the unit from the loan member. 

is your brother using an amp with his DX50? I did demo DX90 about a month ago for two weeks, it was great.

PS: The reason DX90 released virtually bug free is because it basically uses the same OS as DX50, so all the bugs had been ironed out previously.
no he's rocking it without an amp and loving it

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #14,913 of 18,652
guys are you already try this firmware?? this one interested i think

DX50 Sound Unlocked

Technical details:
- fully based on original 1.5.0
- removed android lib/soundfx
- used different configs for MangoPlayer(lossy/lossless) to prevent degrading sound quality for lossless formats because of using FFMPEG/EQ
- used HIGH irr bandwidth for WM8740 (can be switched)
- Updated Mango player(use from DX90 with fixed CUE support)
- New sound mode "Flac only".
- Add possibility to fix CPU freq. It affects SQ.

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #14,914 of 18,652
Question guys. Am I correct that if I plug the iBasso DX50 up to a car stereo through the AUX port (using a patch cable), that the car stereo will have to be able to play FLAC files (since that's all I have on my DX50) in order for everything to work?

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #14,915 of 18,652
Nope.  you are good to go.  Just plug it in and away you go.  The line out of the dx50 just sends out a signal, does not matter what the encoding is on the dx50.  Any AUX port will do

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #14,916 of 18,652
  Nope.  you are good to go.  Just plug it in and away you go.  The line out of the dx50 just sends out a signal, does not matter what the encoding is on the dx50.  Any AUX port will do

OK, that's awesome! That opens up a lot more possibilities since I don't have to worry about which car stereos play FLAC (not many) and which ones don't.

Thanks for your help!

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #14,919 of 18,652

I think many readers of the DX50 firmware forum use SU (others use Rockbox).

Downloaded SU also.  Wanted to try v1.5 first to get a "base line" for sound.  Is there a link to the manual?  Can you toggle between 1.5 and SU if installed?  Also, what is the album.img file that is already installed?  Can I delete it?   Thanks again

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #14,920 of 18,652
Please read FAQ thread: http://www.head-fi.org/a/ibasso-dx50-faq#user_update

Manual: http://www.ibasso.com/download/DX50_UserGuide.pdf

You can install only one OS/UI if Mango Based official FW and its derivates are being used. With rockbox I think it was possible to use two installed FW`s but not sure. Personally I do not see any point in it.

album.img folder is created for album art and You can delete it. It will be re-created every time You do scan sd card or rescan library.

also, after doing FW update make sure to delete update.img file on internal memory and then do factory reset.

Can we add the dac on  this dx50?  which one?

No, not as standalone-DAC, but DX50/DX90 can be used as DAC on a Windows Computer with iBasso's driver.

Not quite true (I think You understood question in wrong way):
Quote:

Can I use the DX50 with an external DAC?

Oh yes you can! The DX50 features a 3.5mm digital COAX output allowing you to use an external DAC of your choice. This will allow you to digitally connect the DX50 to your home setup for use as a transport only or to use a balanced portable DAC like the Ibasso DB2 for instance.

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #14,921 of 18,652
You're right! Sorry, reading is not one of my strengths 
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #14,922 of 18,652
I bought DX50 bundled with Westone 3 IEM's an year ago, mainly for "on the go" portable rig and I find myself quite satisfied with this kit. While trying to follow this thread eagerly since the beginning I just haven't had the chance to add my comments about DX50 yet, but I was thinking to share my experience then now. And my gratitude goes to all those contributors who have created, tested and provided feedback on different firmwares, bugs, mods here. It's a lot of help for all its users and it's cool to see so many enthusiasts around it! I'm sure I would have "bricked" my DAP long time ago without all those tips! :D

Now, year after release, there are so many different ways to make this piece of equipment to shine, but when thinking back, at the beginning I wasn't really happy with that player, especially with the sound color and synergy between those two - DAP and IEM's. It felt just too flat, or even too bright, and not giving enough punch on the bass side. And original FW with EQ's didn't help along either. I remember that every time new FW came out I was hoping for an improvement and it was kind of exciting to try them all out, it was somehow like a bonus on top of the original purchase :D It took a while until CW's started to bring some affect to EQ and sound signatures. Still, for me it didn't feel good/right enough, it felt more of a tease or an illusion. I mean those sound libraries were a real mess. Nobody had an exact picture what was changed there, or how EQ was supposed to work. Finally when Rockbox was ported to DX50 it gave an access to all sorts of tweaks and most importantly to EQ which was working at last! I have always loved the complexity and all those additional features that come with RB (already used it on my old DAP Cowon's X5), and this time as well I was really excited to try it out right away. RB is pretty much "transparent" itself, though its EQ and sound libraries are much more refined and mature which makes it easy to modify the sound to your taste. I found it perfectly suitable to my needs.

The sound difference in this case is noticed especially when swapping between W3 IEM's and pair of Denon AH-D2000's I use at home usually (attached to Audiotrak's DR.DAC3 preamp). Even when connecting D2000 straight to DX50 it has enough power and depth to run those cans. And that bass is a bliss with Rockbox! So clean and deep! In my eyes nothing can be compared to this, none of the CFW I have tried previously and I think I have tried them all (starting with DOC's versions plus now the Sound Unlocked). Yes, Sound Unlocked feels very neutral and all but it's not touching even the edge of the bass what RB can deliver. DX50 & RB combo goes even better when running through DR.DAC3, which adds wider impact to bass from its side as well. So in my eyes I think I have found this perfect combination and don't think I will be updating my player any time soon - rockbox is there to stay.

Like they say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #14,923 of 18,652
Glad You found suitable FW for Your taste. Seems You are more bass-hungry than most of us
biggrin.gif
 I have tried also most of those known/hyped FW`s including rockbox and I personally found ( and still do) Sound Unlocked best sounding - most natural, flat, accurate and true sounding with nothing recessed or enhanced. Soundstage & imaging are also the best I`ve heard yet. And imho bass goes very deep (as it should go) and It definitely doesn`t feel unclean or recessed. But it`s matter of taste and that`s also good thing with DX50 - You can "tune" everything to match Your setup and liking. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #14,925 of 18,652
Thanks for all the help and info. Have deleted update file and will delete img file.  Will play with my new toy for a little and then try SU. So far VERY enjoyable experience with IEM. RHA MA 750.  Used to cans but needed something smaller for a long plane flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back