The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 11, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #14,927 of 18,652
noob alert but please bear with me here. I know the eye roll when someone registers to a forum and is immediately asking for help, so go easy on me. Just looking for guidance :)

Background: very tech savy but an audiophile I am not. Recently started using EAC to re rip my entire library (about 20K songs). So I've learned the coding to optimize LAME and whatnot. Always had stuff around 192kps, been wanting to do either 320 for most of my lib or FLAC for the stuff I listen to more often. I've been using an Ipod classic for years (*horror movie screams*), and to be honest, totally content with it (*more screams*). Apple however quietly alongside their Iphone announcement killed off the classic completely, leaving me to either pick up another one when mine goes, or to try something else. I only listen to music in my car. And I think I have a pretty nice system in there. Polk speakers,good kicker amps,higher end deck w/4V preouts, dynamatted the doors. So I'm not just trying to blast music in some tin can on wheels with stock garbage. I've at least put a concerted effort into it. So that brings me here....

Started looking at higher end DAPs. Fiios look like garbage. Ponomusic is too startuppy and pricey for still an unknown product. So I've happily narrowed my search to either the DX50 or DX90. I've flipped through a dozen or so pages in both threads to get my hands dirty. Really haven't seen a bad review about the DX90, but wondering given my use and everything if I will even notice any audio difference or performance difference to justify the price.

I think one of my biggest concerns I have read about the DX50 (and please let me know if same goes for the DX90 or if the 90 does better with the following issues)  is that it makes lossy audio actually sound worse. Is that an ongoing issue or something that the newer firmware or custom firmwares have resolved? 
-Other concerns is gapless playback seems to not be supported?
-also keeping the battery charged while driving...obviously with my ipod plugged in through 30 pin I never have to worry, but with these DAPs,I have read some issues with the devices being really picky with charging through something that is not a wall outlet. In a perfect world (and let me know if it is possible), that I could just plug my  DX___ through USB to my deck and it would charge and allow me to navigate folders via the deck instead of the DAP. I know my deck supports reading audio from a usb drive so it has some support beyond just apple/android only. But I'd still be ok if I had to do AUX for audio, usb to charge, And just change songs from the DAP. 

I'm just looking for a good investment that will last. Any of your vast knowledge is beyond appreciated. Please limit biting off my head to a minimum as I only have 1 and would like to use it from time to time

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #14,928 of 18,652
-Other concerns is gapless playback seems to not be supported?

Gapless play still has some issues. But I personally don`t care about it. Using Sound unlocked 1.3.3 and having really good time with my Fidelio X1 and Piston V2.1

-also keeping the battery charged while driving

No problems with my DX50. Have been charging in different places, with different chargers and with different devices and no problems.

In a perfect world (and let me know if it is possible), that I could just plug my  DX___ through USB to my deck and it would charge and allow me to navigate folders via the deck instead of the DAP

Should be possible if You set your DX50 to "storage only" but I guess it`s about compability.
I think one of my biggest concerns I have read about the DX50 is that it makes lossy audio actually sound worse.

Imho, no, at least not with Sound Unlocked and 1.5.0 stock FW but this is subjective of course.

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #14,929 of 18,652
  Friends,
i have this link http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=139417
which i use to test versions but i can not find the sound unlock. were can i fond everything?

10x

Let's see: Google iBasso "DX50 Sound Unlocked" got me this:  https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #14,930 of 18,652
well..i download the the Sound Unlocked and its amazing. wow!
I was able to get to the "hidden" setting and and went back to player. when i tried going back to setting (using the same method) the all thing started showing blank screens. even after i took the battery out and back in to restart (cause the normal restart didn't work) i came back to a blank screen. After few tries i was able to get back and to see the player.
I pasted and installed the DX50_MEGA_SOUND_EXPLOSION_SECOND_EDITION which i used before.
what am i doing wrong cause i want to keep trying the settings but don't want to get stuck all over again..

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #14,931 of 18,652
Were You trying 1.3.5 beta? Or 1.3.4 beta? They have some freeze issues and other setting problems. Get 1.3.3 - works without problems. At least I have not experienced ANY issues with it. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #14,932 of 18,652
  Were You trying 1.3.5 beta? Or 1.3.4 beta? They have some freeze issues and other setting problems. Get 1.3.3 - works without problems. At least I have not experienced ANY issues with it. 

yup alot of freeze on 1.3.4 and 1.3.5
but for 135 happen when you enter setting menu if not wrong

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #14,934 of 18,652
are you already try to reset factory after installing it?

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #14,935 of 18,652

I downloaded the latest: dx50_sound_unlocked_1.3.3.7z

Seems to be correct latest stable version. Just to make sure, download it again and check MD5 hash before installing. Then unpack it, do system upgrade, after that connect DX50 and delete update.img (also if You have album data/img folders then delete those), then do factory reset and after that start experimenting with settings and do rescan library. Also make sure ONLY update.img file is on DX50 internal memory while updating.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #14,936 of 18,652

Seems to be correct latest stable version. Just to make sure, download it again and check MD5 hash before installing. Then unpack it, do system upgrade, after that connect DX50 and delete update.img (also if You have album data/img folders then delete those), then do factory reset and after that start experimenting with settings and do rescan library. Also make sure ONLY update.img file is on DX50 internal memory while updating.

Hi
I did everything you wrote above but i can not seem to get to see the setting window.
once i did all the above - > move button to lock - > click the on/off button in order to close
result: device goes blank and nothing happens. once while im still on lock i restart the device, all i get is blank screen and nothing happens, after few seconds i give up and unlock it and i see the player and 
what am i doing wrong?

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #14,937 of 18,652
Hi
I did everything you wrote above but i can not seem to get to see the setting window.
once i did all the above - > move button to lock - > click the on/off button in order to close
result: device goes blank and nothing happens. once while im still on lock i restart the device, all i get is blank screen and nothing happens, after few seconds i give up and unlock it and i see the player and 
what am i doing wrong?

Just a thought, if you are connecting to an amp through LO, remove the cable and try.

There was a problem on rockbox, not the same, but it relates to the lock switch, boot and LO.

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #14,938 of 18,652

Hi
what am i doing wrong?

1. Install SU 1.3.3 FW like any other FW without any cables connected and mSD card removed.
2. Delete update.img after install is done.
3. Do factory reset.
4. Turn OFF Your DX50.
5. Switch LOCK button to ON position.
6. Turn ON Your DX50. Settings screen will appear. Select what You want.
7. Slide LOCK button to OFF and it will resume to UI.

If it doesn`t work then You are just doing something wrong or understood something wrong. I think You will be then first person to have such problem.

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #14,939 of 18,652
I have recently received my Topping NX1 amp and am loving the sound coming from it my DX50 when used together. The first time I listened there seemed to be no difference in sound quality but it gives it an edge that I love. It is more spacious and gives it just a little more detail. Fully charged it when it arrived and have been using it for three days now, not had to charge it again. I can't believe how small it is too compared to the Ibasso. A great combination of hardware, am loving my music now. Will eventually get a Fiio L3 and try it with my iPhone too.

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #14,940 of 18,652
I have Topping NX1, SMSL sAp-5 and C&C BH and imo BH (out1/noFX) is still DX50's best friend: more air, more space, more dynamics, more resolution...
NX1 sounds to my ears a trifle too straight, almost dry, too cool and distant on the mids
SMSL SAp-5 is fun, fun, fun... but not too much with the DX50, though I don't know why. (With an old Sansa Fuze or, better, a rockboxed Samsung R0, it's heaven in a palm!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back