The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #14,566 of 18,652
If You anyhow end up hating Your DX50, please sell it fast and cheap to those who can and know how to appreciate it :wink:

I didn't say I hated it. You're trying to put words in my mouth. You come across as a person who likes to give snide answers, but never really says anything. No offense and I'm not trying to argue.

The replaceable battery, the OTG option and the expandable memory are all very good reason to buy this. In fact I said those are the very reasons why I bought it. Telling me I'm not worthy or some other asinine answer, because I don't hear the difference between flac and MP3's is ridiculous.

And I really was serious about this, what in the world was this supposed to mean? "When You have 3500+ albums, then it probably doesn`t matter much" It's makes no sense what so ever.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #14,567 of 18,652

I've ripped CD's as both flacs and L2 VBR's, put them both into a folder on my Cowon i9+, hit shuffle and repeat and listened to them over and over, mixing them up, with my Audio Technica ATH-A700X headphones and I can't tell the difference. To be honest I think most people can't. They just like to sound all superior for using flacs. They take up 5x more sopace and I get no benefit. That's why I don't use flacs. Just my 2 cents.

If you read my original post you would see what interested me in this device.

I'm not a fan of Crapple. I guess I'm just not cool.

Almost forgot... I'm not an audiophile, and most people who think they are, aren't. Just my 2 cents.

I did read your entire first post.  I didn't respond to any of your reasons for your purchase because it wasn't part of what you were asking about.

I like Apple, I own stock, I have lots of Apple devices, have never purchased a Windows device.  Apple music players work quite well, I just wanted a bit more quality in the sound after I had, at first, bought better earbuds and then quality iems.  

I'm not sure I would qualify as an audiophile (or want to), but I certainly am trying to squeeze out the most quality I can from my listening devices and music files.  Better quality equals a better listening experience.  I see posts on forums from people complaining they can't see a difference between DVD and BluRay.  I have BD and I can see the difference.  I want to have a better watching and listening experience so I have a high-quality BD player to enhance it.  Same thing.

There are music files I can tell are better than others just by listening.  Sometimes it's because of mastering, sometimes it's because of the quality of the sound file (I have some hi-res Dead that is clearly superior to a similar song in 16 bit file sonically).  I've had some h-res files that sounded worse than 16 bit (David Bowie).  Flac, for me, puts my music in a format that I'm comfortable with and that I can depend on to deliver decent or better sound (if it is there in the original)  and is easy to work with (rip, tag, edit, adjust, etc.).  Size is not an issue, I probably have 50-60 albums or compilations in my directory, and if I want to I change some out as I find I'm not listening to them.   And FLAC lets the DX50 show my cover art where WAV, for example, does not.  

I can hear the differences between what my music sounds like on an iPhone and a Colorfly C3 and an iBasso DX50.  I can hear the differences in the multitude of firmwares available here for the DX50.  I can certainly hear the differences between the various iems I have,  I don't have "magic ears."  After the '60s there's no way that could be.  But I can hear differences.  Many people here can hear much better than I can.  H20Fidelity spends all day listening to and quantifying different devices and then talking about them here.  This is a site for people who like high-quality listening.  That is the mind-set here.  No one here is saying you need to change from MP3.  But to get what you want on this player (gapless) you would have to make the transition.  That's a choice for you to make, assuming you really want gapless.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #14,568 of 18,652
  olddude already tried SU and sent the feedback, see this post - http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-5-0/14160#post_10707191

I was talking about .2, the previous iteration.  I haven't tried the newest, been too busy playing with my new Altone200 iems.  
L3000.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #14,569 of 18,652

If You anyhow end up hating Your DX50, please sell it fast and cheap to those who can and know how to appreciate it :wink:

I didn't say I hated it. You're trying to put words in my mouth. You come across as a person who likes to give snide answers, but never really says anything. No offense and I'm not trying to argue.

The replaceable battery, the OTG option and the expandable memory are all very good reason to buy this. In fact I said those are the very reasons why I bought it. Telling me I'm not worthy or some other asinine answer, because I don't hear the difference between flac and MP3's is ridiculous.

And I really was serious about this, what in the world was this supposed to mean? "When You have 3500+ albums, then it probably doesn`t matter much" It's makes no sense what so ever.

Look, I`m just going to stop here without commenting any further. It doesn`t mean I`m backing up about my opinion but when someone uses demagoguery and say something about others "have done" with doing it themselves and not reading post text properly and don `t get the context... it will be offtopic and flames. Going to end here.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #14,570 of 18,652
Everyone has their opinion 
wink.gif
 Don`t mind someone giving me names. Sorry for my rudeness and offtopic and lets end it here and now please.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #14,571 of 18,652
  Does anyone here have contact with iBasso, to make suggestions with future firmwares? Here's a few I've thought of...

1. The gapless playback desperately needs to be fixed.

2. Rather than display the 16/44 as Bit and KHz it should display it as the track number, as in track 16 of 44. Not displaying the track number on a music player is madness. Knowing the Bit and KHz is pretty much useless.

3. If they wanted to, they could take a page from the Cowon S9's book. Touching the album art changes it to the song information... File Type (MP3), Bitrate (205), and KHz (44).

4. They should add support for ReplayGain. Everybody likes it when their music is the same volume.

5. Also, like on the Cowon S9, you can wake the screen by touching it. The lock button has 2 options. Lock screen and buttons, or lock screen only.

6. Reading ID3 tags is hit or miss.

7. When I turn it on, it's on the song I was last listening to, but when I hit play it has a problem resuming. I've had it finish playing that song, but then stop. I've had it finish that song, but then skip over then next few songs, play a song and then stop after that song. Sometimes it even picks up where it left off and then it plays right.

You should email to service@ibasso.com :) 
BTW, some DX90 user already suggested to display a track number. He received the response from iBasso, it was a failure :wink:

Quote:
Still, wasn`t 1.2.2 different sounding since FLAC-only mode came with 1.3.0 and CPU kHz with 1.3.3 ?

I forgot. Yep, the sound is different :)

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #14,572 of 18,652

Dude! My thoughts... I'm not an audiophile, but I do like music. I don't have a $200-$500 DAP yet, but I'm sure I will soon (although I suppose the C3/BH combo  - which is approx $200 - might put me in that club now). At any rate, I also felt that "I'd rather have the best quality I can get to start off the music chain that ends at my ears", but I cannot with any measure of consistency distinguish between my 320mbps mp3's and my flac versions, so you can count me into the group that will most likely be listening to mp3's when I do get that nice new shiny DAP. I bet there are more of us out there than you think! Anyway, that's my 2 cents :)

I began this off with the C3 and then added the BH.  Then added a JDS Labs C5 amp, then got a DX50 and sold the C3/BH.  

I'd rather start off with the best I can, just so I know I have the best source material I can get.  And I was unsure of hi-res until I got ahold of the Dead 24/192 stuff they put out.  I compared Box of Rain and Friend of the Devil  in hi res to my 16/44 copies and I can hear the difference.  I also compared some 24 bit David Bowie to some 16 bit and went back to the 16 bit.  FLAC to MP3?  Not sure if I can tell, but I'd rather have the FLAC and know that if the difference is there, I have the possibility of hearing it.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #14,573 of 18,652
I really want to try Sound Unlocked I'm just unsure about two things. First of all, if you use FLAC only I've read that gapless doesn't work. Gapless is pretty important to me since there are some intro tracks on albums that fade into the next song. And secondly, is it still better than the stock if I don't use FLAC only? I use FLAC almost exclusively, but there are some songs I've gotten on the internet and I wasn't able to find FLAC so I settled for MP3.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #14,574 of 18,652
  I began this off with the C3 and then added the BH.  Then added a JDS Labs C5 amp, then got a DX50 and sold the C3/BH.  

I'd rather start off with the best I can, just so I know I have the best source material I can get.  And I was unsure of hi-res until I got ahold of the Dead 24/192 stuff they put out.  I compared Box of Rain and Friend of the Devil  in hi res to my 16/44 copies and I can hear the difference.  I also compared some 24 bit David Bowie to some 16 bit and went back to the 16 bit.  FLAC to MP3?  Not sure if I can tell, but I'd rather have the FLAC and know that if the difference is there, I have the possibility of hearing it.  

Regarding hi-res, I can hear differences from a hi-res album and low res rips of a differently sourced original.  

However I haven't been able to tell any difference when I take my hi-res copy and create my own new 16/44 copy out of it.  After performing this test with various songs I decided to downsample all my hi-res albums to 16/44 flacs.  I keep the original hi-res files on my home theater pc for the big sound system, but for the sake of squeezing a little extra space on the dx50 I put the downsampled copies on it.  For the things I had copies of that were already 16/44 that came from elsewhere I deleted as they actually sound quite bad by comparison.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #14,576 of 18,652
  I really want to try Sound Unlocked I'm just unsure about two things. First of all, if you use FLAC only I've read that gapless doesn't work. Gapless is pretty important to me since there are some intro tracks on albums that fade into the next song. And secondly, is it still better than the stock if I don't use FLAC only? I use FLAC almost exclusively, but there are some songs I've gotten on the internet and I wasn't able to find FLAC so I settled for MP3.

SU 1.3.3 has 3 modes:

1) Lossy - should sound same and work same as stock 1.5.0 FW since SU is based on 1.5.0.
2) Lossless - plays different lossless formats but gapless doesn`t work. Still, it should sound better because ffmpeg codec is avoided.
3) FLAC-only - as name says, plays only FLAC files. Gapless doesn`t work. Sound is best with that, subjectively. Also recommend to try 2 different settings with FLAC-only:
Quote:
1) FLAC-only + irr OFF + CPU performance default --- more depth towards front/middle and vocals for example more out of headstage.
    More airy soundstage/imaging and more dynamics.

2) FLAC-only + irr ON + CPU 312kHz --- closer, more intimate and clearer imaging with little more separation in width.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #14,578 of 18,652

Regarding hi-res, I can hear differences from a hi-res album and low res rips of a differently sourced original.  

However I haven't been able to tell any difference when I take my hi-res copy and create my own new 16/44 copy out of it.  After performing this test with various songs I decided to downsample all my hi-res albums to 16/44 flacs.  I keep the original hi-res files on my home theater pc for the big sound system, but for the sake of squeezing a little extra space on the dx50 I put the downsampled copies on it.  For the things I had copies of that were already 16/44 that came from elsewhere I deleted as they actually sound quite bad by comparison.  

I haven't tried downsampling much- I did downsample the Dead stuff from 24 bit really high to 24 bit middle high when I put it on my C3,  Still sounded good.  But I went back to the original for my DX50, and it really sounds open and good.  Surprised me, really, that I could hear the difference between it and my original 16/44 rip from the remastered album.  I don't care all that much about large-size files, with a 64gb card I've got more than enough room, and I can always move things around.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #14,579 of 18,652
One thing everyone has to realize is that the mastering is VASTLY more important than the resolution. I love that this device can play 24/192, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense when downsampling said files to 24/96 or even 24/48, analysis shows that nothing was changed except file size

"IT'S THE MASTERS, DAMMIT" - Tyll

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #14,580 of 18,652
  Anyway, the "All formats" mode sounds different than stock...

Really? I thought using All (Lossy) uses same processes/settings as stock. Sry that I`m mistaken, don`t use it so I couldn`t tell
biggrin.gif
 Or was it previous SU version that had only Lossy mode and sounded same as stock 1.5.0 ? My head is spinning 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back