The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 6, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #14,552 of 18,652
Did You try Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 ( https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked ) with these settings?
1) FLAC-only + irr OFF + CPU performance default --- more depth towards front/middle and vocals for example more out of headstage.
    More airy soundstage/imaging and more dynamics.

2) FLAC-only + irr ON + CPU 312kHz --- closer, more intimate and clearer imaging with little more separation in width.

If not, try this FW. Highly recommend it. I have tried very many FW`s, rockbox also and I personally find this to be The Best :wink:

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #14,553 of 18,652
Hi,

I used Sound Unlocked_1.3.3 with CPU 312kHz setting.
I noticed random ticks listening to 24-192 flac tracks. (also browsing the directory on my SD card while listening got really sluggish (I can imagine why 
biggrin.gif
 ))

Changing the CPU speed to the higher CPU frequency made the ticks dissappear! (and browsing is more responsive)

Anyway, hope this helps.

p.s. Sound Unlocked sounds great!

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #14,554 of 18,652
Seems that CPU @ 312kHz gets "slow" for 24/192 hi-res files? Haven`t had such issues with my 16/44 FLAC library or few of my 24/96 vinyl rips yet. Were You using it along with irr ON or OFF? And what card are You using (speed class, capacity etc.)?

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #14,555 of 18,652
  "they better make a player that works with the single most popular digital music format."

I'm not sure that most people using audiophile (or nearly) DAPs are using MP3 files.  We would need to do a survey, but my assumption is that if someone buys a device other than a phone or an iPod to play music (in the range of $200-500), and spends $100+ on ear devices for it, plus possibly an amp, most likely they are looking/expecting to get a better sound quality from their listening experience than MP3 delivers.  

​Personally, I never used MP3 (not even in my iPhones).  I'd rather have the best quality I can get to start off the music chain that ends at my ears.  I can't speak for everyone else here (I'm sure they'll start chiming in), just my 2 cents.

I've ripped CD's as both flacs and L2 VBR's, put them both into a folder on my Cowon i9+, hit shuffle and repeat and listened to them over and over, mixing them up, with my Audio Technica ATH-A700X headphones and I can't tell the difference. To be honest I think most people can't. They just like to sound all superior for using flacs. They take up 5x more sopace and I get no benefit. That's why I don't use flacs. Just my 2 cents.

If you read my original post you would see what interested me in this device.

I'm not a fan of Crapple. I guess I'm just not cool.

Almost forgot... I'm not an audiophile, and most people who think they are, aren't. Just my 2 cents.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #14,557 of 18,652
Try irr ON and tell if there`s difference. I use 312kHz along with irr ON, maybe that`s why I haven`t had issues with clicks/responsiveness.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #14,558 of 18,652
  +1 

For me buying DX50 to play mp3`s is like "driving" Bugatti Veyron on cheap dirty Tractor fuel. 

Sorry to hear that DX50 doesn`t work out for You and have such weird problem with tags. Like I said there might be problem with Your ripping method tagging and metadata lines it creates.
And as You saw, rescan library fixed that issue in a weird way. I don`t know if You have already changed FW`s or not but it might come also from old FW image or not doing factory reset+rescanmedia+rescan library. Last two are littlebit different btw.

When You have 3500+ albums, then it probably doesn`t matter much because I can`t even imagine how much of that You actually listen. 
This is not just another mp3 player - there are plenty of those out there. This is Hi-fi DAP for audiophiles and these ppl certainly do NOT think of mp3 as most popular/useable/quality format. 

I think You might have stepped into "wrong area" here if You want to listen so many VBR mp3`s and need gapless playback and IDTags so much. This is not some iPhone/iPod. Just a thought.

Your calling MP3's dirty tractor fuel is a wild exaggeration. Most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. They like to think their ears are somehow special, that they can hear things above and beyond the range of the average Joe, but they can't. As I said, most people who call themselves audiophiles, aren't.

Mine came with the 1.50 firmware installed, so I have no idea if they did a system reset afterwards. I forgot about trying that. Thanks for reminding me.

I have 3500+ albums because I like a lot of variety. More than most people. I get around to them all, don't you worry. And if you wouldn't mind, what exactly is this supposed to mean... "then it probably doesn`t matter much"?

I don't think I've stepped into any "wrong area". Gapless playback and reading ID3 tags correctly are pretty much a staple of every music player going today. So is telling you what track number you're on. I like how people use the just get an ipod line. It's like it makes them feel better. But as I said, I'm normally a Cowon guy.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #14,559 of 18,652
  for 1.3.3 it should be 6a90ab2e39a6db05381712ad281e1e4e

Sorry guys, the hash I posted above is wrong.

Thanks CoiL! The hash below is true.
Was bored and just checked MD5. I Can`t get a match. Did You re-upload it or fixed/changed it meanwhile?

I get:

Packed .7z file: 76fdb4330037286a6666d7bbe46f7566

Unpacked .img file: adf2f778be8783a1f99dafb4519ef014

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #14,560 of 18,652
  Your calling MP3's dirty tractor fuel is a wild exaggeration. Most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. They like to think their ears are somehow special, that they can hear things above and beyond the range of the average Joe, but they can't. As I said, most people who call themselves audiophiles, aren't.

Mine came with the 1.50 firmware installed, so I have no idea if they did a system reset afterwards. I forgot about trying that. Thanks for reminding me.

I have 3500+ albums because I like a lot of variety. More than most people. I get around to them all, don't you worry. And if you wouldn't mind, what exactly is this supposed to mean... "then it probably doesn`t matter much"?

I don't think I've stepped into any "wrong area". Gapless playback and reading ID3 tags correctly are pretty much a staple of every music player going today. So is telling you what track number you're on. I like how people use the just get an ipod line. It's like it makes them feel better. But as I said, I'm normally a Cowon guy.

Sorry but in my eyes Cowon i9+ is NOT Hi-fi/audiophile DAP but just another mp3 player. Well, look at techincal specs. Maybe that`s why You can`t make difference between SQ? Yes of course it was exaggeration/joke but I don`t want to argue, most people really don`t notice difference because their ears aren`t used to concentrate on details inside the music. I agree on that. But this is audiophile world and there are ppl who can make difference (including me). I have done my blind tests to get idea if I hear pseudo or there really is difference - it wasn`t 100% but it was mostly 80-90% and it tells me I CAN make enough difference to prefer lossless formats. And then there`s point of making backup/usage-copy CD`s also from lossless. But let`s not argue about this subject - this is DX50 thread.

If You anyhow end up hating Your DX50, please sell it fast and cheap to those who can and know how to appreciate it :wink:

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #14,561 of 18,652
  Did You try Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 ( https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked ) with these settings?
If not, try this FW. Highly recommend it. I have tried very many FW`s, rockbox also and I personally find this to be The Best :wink:

olddude already tried SU and sent the feedback, see this post - http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-5-0/14160#post_10707191

I used Sound Unlocked_1.3.3 with CPU 312kHz setting.
I noticed random ticks listening to 24-192 flac tracks. (also browsing the directory on my SD card while listening got really sluggish (I can imagine why 
biggrin.gif
 ))

Changing the CPU speed to the higher CPU frequency made the ticks dissappear! (and browsing is more responsive)

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #14,562 of 18,652
CoiL, also with Irr ON and CPU speed @ 312kHz an occasional (not less than with Irr off) tick can be heard (not very loud). The ticks occur randomly and are not present in the source material (Rachmanoff piano concerto no. 2). 

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #14,563 of 18,652
That`s weird. I will try to listen my hi-res vinyl rips for some time and see if I come across this problem also.

medmitry, sorry about olddude post... can`t remember everything! :wink: Still, wasn`t 1.2.2 different sounding since FLAC-only mode came with 1.3.0 and CPU kHz with 1.3.3 ?

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #14,564 of 18,652
  "they better make a player that works with the single most popular digital music format."

I'm not sure that most people using audiophile (or nearly) DAPs are using MP3 files.  We would need to do a survey, but my assumption is that if someone buys a device other than a phone or an iPod to play music (in the range of $200-500), and spends $100+ on ear devices for it, plus possibly an amp, most likely they are looking/expecting to get a better sound quality from their listening experience than MP3 delivers.  

​Personally, I never used MP3 (not even in my iPhones).  I'd rather have the best quality I can get to start off the music chain that ends at my ears.  I can't speak for everyone else here (I'm sure they'll start chiming in), just my 2 cents.

Dude! My thoughts... I'm not an audiophile, but I do like music. I don't have a $200-$500 DAP yet, but I'm sure I will soon (although I suppose the C3/BH combo  - which is approx $200 - might put me in that club now). At any rate, I also felt that "I'd rather have the best quality I can get to start off the music chain that ends at my ears", but I cannot with any measure of consistency distinguish between my 320mbps mp3's and my flac versions, so you can count me into the group that will most likely be listening to mp3's when I do get that nice new shiny DAP. I bet there are more of us out there than you think! Anyway, that's my 2 cents :)

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #14,565 of 18,652
CoiL, just reverted to Irr off and the higher CPU speed, the ticks have definately gone away (24/192).
Slower response is no issue, just stop playing and the responsiveness is back again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back