The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #14,581 of 18,652
  Everyone has their opinion 
wink.gif
 Don`t mind someone giving me names. Sorry for my rudeness and offtopic and lets end it here and now please.

OK, last time. I really, really, really need to know what this means... "When You have 3500+ albums, then it probably doesn`t matter much". It's just eating me up inside trying to figure it out. How could having a lot of music make "it" not matter... and what the hell is "it"? And what doesn't matter? For the love of humanity... what... does... this... mean?

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #14,583 of 18,652

I really want to try Sound Unlocked I'm just unsure about two things. First of all, if you use FLAC only I've read that gapless doesn't work. Gapless is pretty important to me since there are some intro tracks on albums that fade into the next song. And secondly, is it still better than the stock if I don't use FLAC only? I use FLAC almost exclusively, but there are some songs I've gotten on the internet and I wasn't able to find FLAC so I settled for MP3.

SU 1.3.3 has 3 modes:

1) Lossy - should sound same and work same as stock 1.5.0 FW since SU is based on 1.5.0.
2) Lossless - plays different lossless formats but gapless doesn`t work. Still, it should sound better because ffmpeg codec is avoided.
3) FLAC-only - as name says, plays only FLAC files. Gapless doesn`t work. Sound is best with that, subjectively. Also recommend to try 2 different settings with FLAC-only:
Quote:
1) FLAC-only + irr OFF + CPU performance default --- more depth towards front/middle and vocals for example more out of headstage.
    More airy soundstage/imaging and more dynamics.

2) FLAC-only + irr ON + CPU 312kHz --- closer, more intimate and clearer imaging with little more separation in width.

I really like the 2nd setting, but I it makes the vocals more distant. Is there any way to get a little more depth in the vocals without changing the rest of the sound too much? I assume maybe changing the CPU settings would be my only option, correct?

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #14,584 of 18,652
Thanks for clearing that up medmitry! :wink:

Originally Posted by 7S Cameron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really like the 2nd setting, but I it makes the vocals more distant. Is there any way to get a little more depth in the vocals without changing the rest of the sound too much? I assume maybe changing the CPU settings would be my only option, correct?

Can`t tell it for sure because it might affect/match Your setup differently. Just try and experiment :wink:

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #14,585 of 18,652

1) Lossy - should sound same and work same as stock 1.5.0 FW since SU is based on 1.5.0.

Just a little correction, "Lossy" sounds different from stock because of android soundfx libs are removed.
And using "Irr Bandwidth" you will add just more difference :)

Whaexactly is IRR bandwidth? I really like how it improves the imaging.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #14,586 of 18,652
  I began this off with the C3 and then added the BH.  Then added a JDS Labs C5 amp, then got a DX50 and sold the C3/BH.  

I'd rather start off with the best I can, just so I know I have the best source material I can get.  And I was unsure of hi-res until I got ahold of the Dead 24/192 stuff they put out.  I compared Box of Rain and Friend of the Devil  in hi res to my 16/44 copies and I can hear the difference.  I also compared some 24 bit David Bowie to some 16 bit and went back to the 16 bit.  FLAC to MP3?  Not sure if I can tell, but I'd rather have the FLAC and know that if the difference is there, I have the possibility of hearing it.  

Yup, nothing wrong with wanting to do that. I certainly would like to have FLAC copies of all of my CD's for backup purposes. And when they come up with affordable 3TB microSD cards, I may very well switch over toe FLAC for the very same reasons as you :)

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #14,587 of 18,652
  Really? I thought using All (Lossy) uses same processes/settings as stock. Sry that I`m mistaken, don`t use it so I couldn`t tell
biggrin.gif
 Or was it previous SU version that had only Lossy mode and sounded same as stock 1.5.0 ? My head is spinning 
redface.gif

Yep, it sounds different(more airy/no so flat). I described the reason above.  All versions sound different, see tech details and changes - https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked#technical-details :)

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #14,588 of 18,652
I can hear the differences between what my music sounds like on an iPhone and a Colorfly C3 and an iBasso DX50.

I'm with you on this one. I can defiantly hear the difference my ipod (worst) both Cowon players (better) and the DX50 (best). I just can't hear the difference between flacs and MP3's.

By the way, I don't know if it will work with flacs, but with MP3's I can just put the album cover in the same folder as the songs (I use JPEGs), and name it "cover" (w/o the quotes) (and I think "folder" works also). You can free up tons of space by not embedding the artwork in every single song. Yet another reason I have nothing but contempt for the ipod.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #14,589 of 18,652

OK, last time. I really, really, really need to know what this means... "When You have 3500+ albums, then it probably doesn`t matter much". It's just eating me up inside trying to figure it out. How could having a lot of music make "it" not matter... and what the hell is "it"? And what doesn't matter? For the love of humanity... what... does... this... mean?

Well obviously it means if you have that much music, there is something wrong with you - potentially seriously wrong with you. If I were you, I would rectify that as quickly as possible and get rid of at least 2500 of those albums. I will be happy to discard them safely for you. My address is...
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #14,590 of 18,652
  Whaexactly is IRR bandwidth? I really like how it improves the imaging.

Ok, I'll quote some suitable info

PCM Bandwidth selects the range of which
the dac will filter the signal. Allowing higher bandwidths may introduce more information and noise than
desired. IIR stands for Infinite Impulse Response. This is another setting that each customer should tune to
their liking.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #14,591 of 18,652

Well obviously it means if you have that much music, there is something wrong with you - potentially seriously wrong with you. If I were you, I would rectify that as quickly as possible and get rid of at least 2500 of those albums. I will be happy to discard them safely for you. My address is...
biggrin.gif

I agree about something being seriously wrong. 2500? I don't know... that would (roughly) be my #'s and A-R's I'd hate to give up my 5.6.7.8's through Russian Red. I have a folder, you see, with all of my album covers. For multi-disc sets that all use the same cover, I count that as 1, but for some Various Artist sets it can be as many as 10 discs, so the total number is more than 3500, but at this point, who's counting?

I just checked. I use Foobar as my music player. All of my music would take 19 weeks, 5 days, 17 hours to play. I rounded to the nearest hour.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #14,592 of 18,652
Hi,

Hi,

Could you check md5 for the file? (for 1.3.3 it should be 6a90ab2e39a6db05381712ad281e1e4e)
Anyway, what does that mean "doesn't see it as a valid file"?(you can't run "system update" or you have some errors while updating system)

Hmm yeah good shout, the MD5's are not the same. I have to say I am roughly aware of what these are but what do we do now? If no one else is having an issue then I guess it's some problem at my end? Apologies for my newbieness with this..
At any rate, all the links I can find on github give me a file with that incorrect checksum, the same infact. ADF2F778BE8783A1F99DAFB4519EF014.

Spotted your updated MD5 Dimitry, hmm, so the MD5's are the same. Do I just happen to have a random wierd DX50 that doesn't work?!

When I said that it doesn't see it as a valid file, "not a valid file" is the error message that flashes up on the DX50 display during the attempted flash. But I guess that's now explained with the incorrect MD5? I've also tried the RKBatchtool method and that fails also.

I'm stumped, any ideas? 
blink.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #14,593 of 18,652
  I'm new to the iBasso line. I normally use Cowon players. I was attracted to the idea of 2TB of storage, the OTG option and a replaceable battery. Mine came with firmware 1.50 installed. I love the sound that comes out of this thing.

I was reading that they fixed the gapless playback issues, however I hear a slight pause between tracks on all of my live albums and albums where the tracks run together. All of my music is ripped as Level 2 VBR MP3's. I tried a few albums ripped as Flacs and they played fine gaplessly (?). Do other people have gapless playback problems with MP3's? I don't have any problems with gapless playback on my 2 Cowon S9's, my Cowon i9+, my rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip and the 80GB iPod Classic I leave in my car as a CD changer.

When I'm listening to my iBasso, on the Home screen, above the song title, it says 16/44 (I know what that means and all of my music is 16/44). When I touch it, it turns white, but nothing else. Is it supposed to do more than turn white?

Does anyone here have contact with iBasso, to make suggestions with future firmwares? Here's a few I've thought of...

1. The gapless playback desperately needs to be fixed.

2. Rather than display the 16/44 as Bit and KHz it should display it as the track number, as in track 16 of 44. Not displaying the track number on a music player is madness. Knowing the Bit and KHz is pretty much useless.

3. If they wanted to, they could take a page from the Cowon S9's book. Touching the album art changes it to the song information... File Type (MP3), Bitrate (205), and KHz (44).

4. They should add support for ReplayGain. Everybody likes it when their music is the same volume.

5. Also, like on the Cowon S9, you can wake the screen by touching it. The lock button has 2 options. Lock screen and buttons, or lock screen only.

6. Reading ID3 tags is hit or miss.

7. When I turn it on, it's on the song I was last listening to, but when I hit play it has a problem resuming. I've had it finish playing that song, but then stop. I've had it finish that song, but then skip over then next few songs, play a song and then stop after that song. Sometimes it even picks up where it left off and then it plays right.

I'm under the impression that this is a pretty new product, and realize that there are going to be bugs. I saw that there was a rockbox for this, but I'd rather stay with the stock software. Do they take peoples opinions in to account with new firmware?

I have to say I like having the Bit rate and KHz on the screen but I also want the track number, definitely! 

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #14,594 of 18,652
  At any rate, all the links I can find on github give me a file with that incorrect checksum, the same infact. ADF2F778BE8783A1F99DAFB4519EF014.

When I said that it doesn't see it as a valid file, "not a valid file" is the error message that flashes up on the DX50 display during the attempted flash. But I guess that's now explained with the incorrect MD5? I've also tried the RKBatchtool method and that fails also

Sorry, as I noticed above, this hash is correct. I'll try to investigate this issue :)

I really like the 2nd setting, but I it makes the vocals more distant. Is there any way to get a little more depth in the vocals without changing the rest of the sound too much? 

Seems like you should try 1.3.4_beta but it has some bug :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back