The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #9,811 of 18,652
I'm pretty happy with the stability and features of the 1.2.7 release.

I hope that, from now on, our discussion is mainly about amps, storage sizes, sound quality and wallpapers.

biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #9,812 of 18,652
I am confused about the EQ on 1.2.7. It seems to be working on frequencies twice as high as advertised...

Wow. If those are accurate then something really is wrong in the new EQ system. This definitely is worth showing to iBasso.

As an aside, those first two graphs show that the base line frequency response really is nearly flat. If it's not too much to ask, can you run the same analysis against version 1.2.2 and post the results? I, and I'm sure others here, would find it interesting to see precisely what has changed between v1.2.2 and v.1.2.7 in terms of frequency response.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #9,813 of 18,652
The differences in frequency response between firmwares will be much less than the imperfections generated by the crappy soundcard I am using. You need proper test equipment to do that comparison.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #9,814 of 18,652
Because listening to music is what DX50 is for. Not reference listening, not critical listening, just sitting back and enjoying the sounds.
That's you. It's good to tell people just what you mean by "significant" or "ridiculous" when yong is.

For me, sitting back and just enjoying the music requires a player that is relatively free of colorations. Otherwise, wouldn't we all just be using iPods?

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #9,815 of 18,652
For me, sitting back and just enjoying the music requires a player that is relatively free of colorations. Otherwise, wouldn't we all just be using iPods?

Some people do like the coloration though, i for one can't really stand neutral sound and require a bit of spicing in the sound to actually enjoy listening to music

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #9,816 of 18,652
I am confused about the EQ on 1.2.7. It seems to be working on frequencies twice as high as advertised...

EQ off:

EQ on:

All flat, except 30 Hz at +8:

All flat, except 1k at -6:

All flat except 4k at +6:

All at +10:

Whoa, the last graph looks really bad. Maybe that could explain why turning on the EQ and setting all the sliders to flat other than at +6 "muddies" or "dulls" the sound as reported by some users.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #9,818 of 18,652
  Of course i did. I guess sound quality is a very personal thing. I have used the dx50 with ALL my headphones both amped and un-amped and find the hm601 to just sound much nicer. Wether this is because it uses a NOS dac i dont really know. What i did find the dx50 to have is lots of power to drive any headphone i plugged into it. 
   When i first got my Sansa Fuze i thought it sounded pretty average, however as soon as i installed Rockbox it changed into a much nicer player. Not only did you get all the additional functions that Rockbox offered, to my ears it  made it sound a whole lot better. I am hoping that an upcoming firmware revision will give me the sound that i am after.

If you prefer the smoother, analog sounding NOS dac sound, I can see why you'd dislike the DX50, even though many others love it. I guess if you prefer strawberry jam, even the finest blackberry jam won't do it for you. That's why it's great to see the hifi DAP market heating up - More choice, lower prices, consumers win.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #9,819 of 18,652
  I am having fun too and it's nice not to have to struggle with anything but the choice of music. 
o2smile.gif

+1, which is why today I went back again to 1.2.7 (after using the last couple of times for comparisons - quality time with 1.2.7, then some more 1.2.6, then a lot more with 1.2.2, and now once again 1.2.7)…

That said, my subjective preference is definitely towards 1.2.2, so if it were possible to have 1.2.2 sound with 1.2.7 sound I WOULD personally be happier. I also understand that there are others who think differently, so I'll not be holding my breath
wink_face.gif
. On the other hand, maybe there will more future FWs, and we will see what the roll of the dice on sound signature will be (maybe better than 1.2.2
smile.gif
?)...

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #9,820 of 18,652

Ahem. That's what the EQ is for.

If Pottsy2's graphs are accurate then DX50 with v1.2.7 isn't just relatively free of coloration. It's almost entirely free of coloration except for a slight dip from 60Hz down to 20Hz which may account for the "lifeless" feeling that some of you have described. That should be easily corrected by tweaking the 30Hz EQ band modulo any fixes iBasso needs to make.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #9,821 of 18,652
As mentioned before hope ibasso can come out the next firmware with 1.2.2 sound n 1.2.7 ui n features... perfect DAP

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #9,822 of 18,652
Ahem. That's what the EQ is for.

If Pottsy2's graphs are accurate then DX50 with v1.2.7 isn't just relatively free of coloration. It's almost entirely free of coloration except for a slight dip from 60Hz down to 20Hz which may account for the "lifeless" feeling that some of you have described. That should be easily corrected by tweaking the 30Hz EQ band modulo any fixes iBasso needs to make.

I'd say that's backwards. The pupose of EQ is not to repair colorations in a poorly implemented piece of playback gear, but to correct for colorations in poorly recorded music.

In other words, the gear should be relatively neutral by design. The recordings you have no control over and that's where EQ may be useful.

As for those graphs, I wouldn't put too much faith in their accuracy based on Potty2's comments.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #9,823 of 18,652
<late comer

I'm on 1.22 (went back from 1.27), scanning time is horrendous (around 20minutes now). How can I know if it's just stuck and what could be the cause? Illegal file names/types?

Sorry if it's been asked before, too many pages to go through :frowning2:

Much appreciated

Yay, finished! Anyone reading this in the same situation- don't be discouraged :> 20-25 minutes but it did end ! Hooray :D

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #9,824 of 18,652
I'd say that's backwards. The pupose of EQ is not to repair colorations in a poorly implemented piece of playback gear, but to correct for colorations in poorly recorded music.

Yeah. I'll point at the recording engineers who insist that you're supposed to listen to the music exactly as they recorded it.

You can't both be right.

I say that you're both wrong. The purpose of EQ is to make the music that I listen to sound good to me.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #9,825 of 18,652
Whoa, the last graph looks really bad. Maybe that could explain why turning on the EQ and setting all the sliders to flat other than at +6 "muddies" or "dulls" the sound as reported by some users.

Have you seen the graph that ibasso sent me with the 30hz eq? It's not the same with yours. Is your equipment correctly calibrated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back