The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 3, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #9,796 of 18,652
I have heard other daps change sound with fw change.

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #9,797 of 18,652
I have heard other daps change sound with fw change.

DX100 definitely, it became famous with its this feature
happy_face1.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #9,798 of 18,652
I´ve been running the DX50 for almost 2 weeks on 1.2.6 & the last couple of days on 1.2.7. The improvements over the last period are impressive. Fast scanning, personalize it with your own wallpaper, better EQ, gapless works fine (again) etc.
But at the end of the day the main reason I bought this fabulous player was the sound quality! This morning I put it back to fw 1.2.2 and fell in love with it all over again.
So iBasso: 1.2.7 functionalty with 1.2.2 SQ = killer combination! Please, please, please...

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #9,800 of 18,652
Oh dear, i just received my dx50 today and boy am i dissapointed. I was seriously expecting it to be an upgrade over my hm601 but the hm601 stomps all over it, and what's with the eq? it does not work!! god i thought it would have been fixed in the latest firmware but no it has not. This shall be going into a drawer until they can sort the firmware out.

I hope you put your IEM on the headphone out located at the bottom, extreme left. I have a HM601 myself and no way it trumps the dx50 :D

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #9,802 of 18,652
I´ve been running the DX50 for almost 2 weeks on 1.2.6 & the last couple of days on 1.2.7. The improvements over the last period are impressive. Fast scanning, personalize it with your own wallpaper, better EQ, gapless works fine (again) etc.

But at the end of the day the main reason I bought this fabulous player was the sound quality! This morning I put it back to fw 1.2.2 and fell in love with it all over again.

So iBasso: 1.2.7 functionalty with 1.2.2 SQ = killer combination! Please, please, please...

Ditto!!!!

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #9,805 of 18,652
I hope you put your IEM on the headphone out located at the bottom, extreme left. I have a HM601 myself and no way it trumps the dx50
biggrin.gif

Of course i did. I guess sound quality is a very personal thing. I have used the dx50 with ALL my headphones both amped and un-amped and find the hm601 to just sound much nicer. Wether this is because it uses a NOS dac i dont really know. What i did find the dx50 to have is lots of power to drive any headphone i plugged into it. 
   When i first got my Sansa Fuze i thought it sounded pretty average, however as soon as i installed Rockbox it changed into a much nicer player. Not only did you get all the additional functions that Rockbox offered, to my ears it  made it sound a whole lot better. I am hoping that an upcoming firmware revision will give me the sound that i am after.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #9,806 of 18,652
I am confused about the EQ on 1.2.7. It seems to be working on frequencies twice as high as advertised...

EQ off:

EQ on:

All flat, except 30 Hz at +8:

All flat, except 1k at -6:

All flat except 4k at +6:

All at +10:

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #9,808 of 18,652
I would call a change of 1db significant, but I'm not sure how noticeable that would be.  A 3db change would definitely be noticeable.  But isn't the whole point of a "reference" player to have a flat frequency response with minimal colorations? 

Nowhere that I've seen does iBasso describe DX50 as a reference player.

A 1dB change is noticeable if, as headwhacker describes, you're laser-focused on every niggling little thing which, as headwhacker also points out, isn't something you'd normally do while just listening to music. The changes in 1.2.2 to 1.2.5 (skipping 1.2.3b) are in the ~1dB range. The changes from 1.2.5 through 1.2.7 are less if they exist at all. I'm not convinced that there are any that are humanly detectable.

Because listening to music is what DX50 is for. Not reference listening, not critical listening, just sitting back and enjoying the sounds.

I wouldn't use "significant" or "noticeable" to describe the bass boost of 1.2.3b.  I would call that "ridiculous."  I would probably use the same word to describe the FiiO X3's mid-bass bump as well.

That's you. It's good to tell people just what you mean by "significant" or "ridiculous" when you make statements about how bad (or good for that matter) something is.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #9,809 of 18,652
I am just having fun listening and truly Enjoying the sound of Music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back