The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 9, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #8,208 of 18,652
Thanks to soren for posting a mirror of the FW.

Sound impressions IMO:
The sound is more like 1.2.5 but lesser bass. I'm so loving the sound.(EQ OFF)
Soundstage seems to be a bit wider.
Gapless set to 5/10secs is more like a crossfade now.
Still no hiss at all gain level.(DX50/R-50 unamped)

Interface:
Touch screen is now less sensitive
Scanning time minimize
A lot menu improvements(new wallpaper is really cool)
No more scanning media every time your turn on the dap.

My very first update and I love it!!

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #8,209 of 18,652
any comparison between the 1.22 and the 1.26?
the 1.22 got the best neutral and balance among all the old firmware.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #8,210 of 18,652
This was the response that I received earlier today from iBasso.

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We used the WM8740's digital attenuation to control the volume. for example, it can reduce the signal voltage from 1.5V to 1V. It isnt reduce the signal from 24bit to 20bit. in other words, both of the 1.5V and 1V signal are 24bit or 16bit. They have the same bit rate.
If you would like to cancel your order, please get back to us ASAP.  Your shipment is ready for pick up now.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #8,211 of 18,652
Thanks. I found it interesting that the EQ steps seem to match the volume steps and the connection seemed logical.

If they really do, then iBasso made a mistake in the EQ implementation, because they explicitly claimed the EQ range is 12 dB.

If the volume and the EQ steps are the same, then the EQ range is just about 6 dB. This explains why some people tell it's not enough for them.

I guess, the iBasso guys need to review this part of the FW code.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #8,214 of 18,652
I tried switching cards and it's so much smoother with the updated scanning function now it's a charm using. The gapless works but it works as a fading out of the previous song into fading in of the next song. I don't mind that functionality, works like a DJ's set.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #8,215 of 18,652
Yes the gapless has a glitch. It actually overlaps the end of one song and the beginning of the next - kind of a cross-fade. V1.25 handled gapless better but it should be easy for iBasso to fix. 

I am going to keep giving 1.2.6 a chance though. It is sounding quite fine through the line out to my Pico Power.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #8,217 of 18,652
This was the response that I received earlier today from iBasso.

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We used the WM8740's digital attenuation to control the volume. for example, it can reduce the signal voltage from 1.5V to 1V. It isnt reduce the signal from 24bit to 20bit. in other words, both of the 1.5V and 1V signal are 24bit or 16bit. They have the same bit rate.
If you would like to cancel your order, please get back to us ASAP.  Your shipment is ready for pick up now.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

I suppose this means that we can lower the volume as much as we want without compromising bit-perfect playback?

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #8,218 of 18,652
@cooperpwc thanks that was the term I was looking for a cross fade. What would bet great is if they could allow us to pick how we want to transition from song to song.

It isn't terrible in 1.2.6 but it isn't right either. The funny thing about V1.2.5 is that sometimes there was a tiny gap and then sometimes it got the gapless perfect. So it seems like they were close to pegging it.

I am definitely enjoying the sound of the new firmware. They seem to have succeeded in widening the soundstage without sucking out the mids as was my complaint in 1.2.3beta. The bass may be a bit stronger than 1.2.5 but it is sounding plenty tight.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #8,220 of 18,652
To me the sound is great and I don't want to change that on the new firmware. Not crazy about the gapless, it works best for me off. The sound between the X3 and the DX50 is so different now that I see no comparison. The DX50 is much better, IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back