The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 9, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #8,192 of 18,652
Just updated to 1.2.6, went without an hitch… scanning times have improved tremendously, and I personally like the sound signature a LOT (after trying 1.2.5, I went back to 1.2.2 - but I think that I'll stay with 1.2.6). Haven't had time yet to see if the problems others have mentioned (new sleep feature not working properly, gapless working worse than before) are there for me too.

Overall, even if the problems others have mentioned will be there, I'm personally pretty happy with the new FW.

Edited to add: Oh, and I just noticed that the "grab the title and slide to the left to read it all" (when a song is playing) now works also on the album title… very good addition

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #8,193 of 18,652

I don't think there is a sleep timer feature, it only has auto shut down in case of no activity (I am running 1.2.5). Also when  the player shuts down, it starts again in scan files window, it doesn't start with playing the song , which it was playing when it shutdown. It is such a pain to go back to that album & select that song again.

I have X3  also, it is so much more user friendly & has much better features IMHO. Even HM601 is more user friendly, it may not look as good & have a slick UI , but is certainly better to use due to having more features.

What do you think about the SQ compared to X3 if we exclude the amp section? (Line out to other amp) So player and DAC only.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #8,194 of 18,652
Hi All,
I have a problem which i wanted to share with you.
I am an owner of the amazing DX50 (latest software version) and been using it with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms.
Sound is amazing and detailed.

Last week i got the Westone 3  (3 drivers)..i connected it to my computer and my Cowon S9 and they all sounded amazing, detailed as it should be. The only MAIN problem is when I connect it to the DX50, it goes down the hill... no details.... no brights.. and I don't know what to do.

i have couple of אheories:

1. the beyer are 80 ohms and the W3 are 30 ohms and DX doesn't sound good with lower ohms (?)
2. maybe 1.2 software version doesn't go well with the W3, i need to roll back to the oldest ver and text

please advise.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #8,195 of 18,652
Holly Crap, that is some big bass! Just upgraded to the new 1.2.6 FW and it is very different sound wise, more of a fun signature using my NT6 Pro. It is much warmer and smoother with fuller bass and more punch but retaining the detail and without bloat. I can't use my amp any more as it doesn't sound good, nor do I need it any more. IMO, this DAP no longer needs an amp to sound complete.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #8,196 of 18,652
The W3 should pair well and the DX50 does well with lower impedance IEMs. Maybe it's just bad synergy like the RE400?

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #8,197 of 18,652
Done updating. I love the sensitivity of the touch screen.
Follow up for the impressions later

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #8,198 of 18,652
  Hi All,
I have a problem which i wanted to share with you.
I am an owner of the amazing DX50 (latest software version) and been using it with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms.
Sound is amazing and detailed.

Last week i got the Westone 3  (3 drivers)..i connected it to my computer and my Cowon S9 and they all sounded amazing, detailed as it should be. The only MAIN problem is when I connect it to the DX50, it goes down the hill... no details.... no brights.. and I don't know what to do.

i have couple of אheories:

1. the beyer are 80 ohms and the W3 are 30 ohms and DX doesn't sound good with lower ohms (?)
2. maybe 1.2 software version doesn't go well with the W3, i need to roll back to the oldest ver and text

please advise.

You are using the HP out and not the lineout, right?

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #8,202 of 18,652

What do you think about the SQ compared to X3 if we exclude the amp section? (Line out to other amp) So player and DAC only.

SQ wise both are same to me, no preference (both HP & Line out).

The output impedance of the HP out is very low (below 2 ohms I believe was measured) while the OI of the Lineout was measured to 120 ohms. That should make quite a difference, especially with multi-BA iems. I remember trying the Calyx Kong (32ohm OI) with the W3 and they sounded HORRIBLE from it. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #8,203 of 18,652

The output impedance of the HP out is very low (below 2 ohms I believe was measured) while the OI of the Lineout was measured to 120 ohms. That should make quite a difference, especially with multi-BA iems. I remember trying the Calyx Kong (32ohm OI) with the W3 and they sounded HORRIBLE from it. 

Sorry your post isin't clear to me. What I meant from my post was i do not have any preference between Fiio X3 HP out vs Dx50 HP out. (with Shure SE 530, SE 535 RED Ltd, Senn HD 25 Aluminium, Beyer DT 1350, DT 770 32 Ohm). Similarly  no preference  between X3 & Dx50 Line out connected to my Kenwood car stereo. SQ wise both X3 & DX50 are equal IMHO.

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #8,204 of 18,652

Sorry your post isin't clear to me. What I meant from my post was i do not have any preference between Fiio X3 HP out vs Dx50 HP out. (with Shure SE 530, SE 535 RED Ltd, Senn HD 25 Aluminium, Beyer DT 1350, DT 770 32 Ohm). Similarly  no preference  between X3 & Dx50 Line out connected to my Kenwood car stereo. SQ wise both X3 & DX50 are equal IMHO.

Ah, my bad - I thought you meant that the linout and the HP out sounded the same :)

...still doesn't solve the mystery of the W3 performing poorly out of the DX50, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back