The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 8, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #8,178 of 18,652
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whatever sounds good to you. Seriously. The only person who can tell you what sounds best to you is you. Everything that I and others have posted on the technical side of things isn't there to tell you what to do. It's to explain what the controls do and why so that we can all find our own sweet spots.

Because the truth of the matter is that few of us really want to hear music "exactly as it was recorded". Some of us want skull-crushing bass. Some of us want to sit with the band instead of in the tenth row. Some of us want an analytical experience with just enough fun to cover up (or distract us from) mastering mistakes. Some of us just want a comfortable set of cans and a music player that fits in our pockets and doesn't sound like bargain basement junk. And it's likely that most of us want different things at different times.

Experiment. Play around with the settings. Find some that you like. Find some that you hate and make notes not to go there again. Because I can't tell you what's going to sound good to you.

I can, however, make a suggestion. Assuming that you like how firmware v1.2.5 sounds and you want to use v1.2.6 then look at the Classical EQ preset curve and invert it. I think that will bring the bass and treble close to what they are in v1.2.5. It's all relative, after all.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #8,179 of 18,652
It's weird cause it should have. My best advice is to download again from the FAQ page and extract the file onto the DX50 and try again, you should get it to work. That's exactly how I did it.

I did this and opened up the dx50 on my computer and it shows the 1.2.6 firmware is loaded. When I complete the upgrade and subsequent factory reset and go to system info in the settings menu it still shows the 1.2.5 firmware and still has none of the new features. I don't quite know where to go. This is the first time in many FW updates I have done that this has happened.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #8,180 of 18,652
  The past few pages of EQ talk has been getting kinda confusing.  I just want my DX50 set to neutral; basically I like to listen to my music as it was recorded.  What should I set my player settings at?  Should I leave EQ off, but I heard when set to 'Off' it isn't totally neutral?  If I turn EQ on and set to custom what should I set the sliders at?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Set it to OFF so that the EQ itself is neutral (in some software just enabling the EQ slightly alters the sound). As to whether the entire system - the DX50 and/or the headphones you're using - is neutral is another matter. That's probably why some are saying it "isn't neutral" with the EQ off, and some might use the EQ to make the overall system (the DX50 on a particular headphone) neutral.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #8,181 of 18,652
I dropped the new FW into my DX50, updated, did a factory reset and it works fine.  

One nice thing, when you scan in a card, take it out, you don't have to rescan, it remembers the card though it does still take a little scanning to but not near as long as the first scan. 

Whoa, to me, with my TH900's the sound is different. Very dynamic, good layering and cymbals sound excellent. Wow. Incredible impact and solid, very solid bass. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #8,182 of 18,652
Seeking some tagging advice re. album art - in most cases it's recognised, but in others I just can't get it to appear on the player. The art is embedded in the file using MP3 Tag, but even after a SD card rescan it still doesn't show up. Any tips gratefully received as it's the one thing left that's really bugging me, particularly after the latest firmware has ironed out so many other wrinkles. Thanks!

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #8,183 of 18,652
So they fix one thing, and then break another. I hope this doesn't become a pattern. Looks like I'll be sticking to 1.2.2. until the next firmware update.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #8,184 of 18,652
This player is acting very strange. after I could not get the new FW to update I went back to the prior FW updates to see if they would install and they all did. when I tried the 1.2.6 FW again it would not show up in the settings menu of system info. I have tried everything I know to do with no success. Anyone else experiencing this? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #8,186 of 18,652
The EQ is subtractive. Yes, the numbers say +/-6 but they really mean -0 (top) through -12 (bottom). A slider at 0 subtracts 6 steps (they appear to match the volume steps from the volume controls) from maximum for that band. EQ "off" -- no presets can be selected, sliders can't be adjusted -- is the same as all of the sliders at maximum. You can test this by turning EQ "on", sliding all of the sliders to the top, adjusting the volume to a comfortable level, listening, and toggling EQ on and off. If you hear any changes then your mind is playing tricks on you.

Great, now got it thanks. Did the test and with all sliders at the top is the same as no EQ.

It also explains why beforehand I noticed that it was louder having "no EQ" compared to the custom setting by Ibasso of the Sliders at mid way, even though I thought that that meant that I had set it. I bet many people get similarly confused. Without this forum, I wouldn't have known it was a subtractive EQ and then asked the question, but then if I hadn't seen this forum, I wouldn't have bought the DX50 -:)

I also now see the type of EQ set in the top left hand corner, which I didn't see before because unbeknown to me I wasn't setting it.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #8,187 of 18,652
I either don't know how to use the timer feature or it ain't working. I played a 80 minute music session and even though I set the timer to 30 minutes, it kept going until the end.

I hope you are not confusing auto shutdown with sleep timer.  The first will only shutdown after X minutes if the player is not active.  Sleep timer should turn off your player after X even if it is still playing.

It could also be a bug because there have been problems with the autoshutdown feature too.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #8,189 of 18,652
I hope you are not confusing auto shutdown with sleep timer.  The first will only shutdown after X minutes if the player is not active.  Sleep timer should turn off your player after X even if it is still playing.

It could also be a bug because there have been problems with the autoshutdown feature too.

Nop I set sleep timer to 30 minutes, not 1 hour or 2 hours, it's definitively not working. I am wondering though if it has some interference with the auto shutdown feature.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #8,190 of 18,652
Nop I set sleep timer to 30 minutes, not 1 hour or 2 hours, it's definitively not working. I am wondering though if it has some interference with the auto shutdown feature.

I don't think there is a sleep timer feature, it only has auto shut down in case of no activity (I am running 1.2.5). Also when  the player shuts down, it starts again in scan files window, it doesn't start with playing the song , which it was playing when it shutdown. It is such a pain to go back to that album & select that song again.

I have X3  also, it is so much more user friendly & has much better features IMHO. Even HM601 is more user friendly, it may not look as good & have a slick UI , but is certainly better to use due to having more features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back