The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #12,241 of 18,652
Are you reserving judgment on the fiio x5 in battle of the best value to performance dap out there....?

Honestly, I did not perceive any remarkable signature difference when I went from the clip zip to the x3. I found it to be a little warmer and I did appreciate the functionality of the device. 

But when I went to the dx50, there was an appreciable improvement in the signature going from the clip. The only time I had heard my iems sound so good was with the Asgard 2 and uberfrost. So after that experience, I stopped following the fiio products TBH. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #12,242 of 18,652
Thanks guys for all the helpful replies, yeah I saw a photo of the DX50 with it's own ibasso amp and it looks fitting. I am also leaning towards the PB2 for amp and dac but since you guys have so much praise for the dac of the Dx 50 then maybe I can save some money and put in more for the amp itself.

The only other DAC I've owned besides the DX 50 is a ****ty govibe usb dac which and it's the lowest model of it's kind. So I dun have  much knowledge on the quality of DACs, but I'll take your word for it. Also another thing to note is that i do not own a 650 yet as IO was very clsoe to buying one last night but thought of getting a proper amp and dac for my Dx 50 so maybe I'll get that first before anything else.

Anyway bear in mind that if I am getting those amps I'll be using it for my HD 558 and triple Fi for now. :D

The PB2 is an Amp only. I run it balanced to HD 600 from the DX50 (you don't need it have a balanced input into the PB2) and it sounds really good. You can have a lot of fun rolling the OPamps in it as well. The Leckerton sounds good as well and is a little bit more mobile than the PB2.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #12,244 of 18,652
The PB2 is an Amp only. I run it balanced to HD 600 from the DX50 (you don't need it have a balanced input into the PB2) and it sounds really good. You can have a lot of fun rolling the OPamps in it as well. The Leckerton sounds good as well and is a little bit more mobile than the PB2.

Yeah I just found out that and from wat the guy told me it'll be awesome if I combo the PB2 with the DB2 for my DX 50 but the thing is I am trying to decide if I should get the amp BP2 or the HD 650 as I am a little tight on money and can't afford both so I am wanting to get something that has more value for dollars. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #12,245 of 18,652
any website are now selling the DX50 at $ 200 and I'm really debating whether to buy it now or wait for DX90, DX90 seems to you that should significantly improve the sound of the headphones I ordered DUNU DN1000.

Please help me decide.
wait for DX90, or buy now the DX50 at $ 200? What do you suggest?

I want to connect them only to DUNU DN1000 and I use only the music, I do not need quality screen video, etc. (I have GALAXY S3 now for that)

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #12,246 of 18,652
any website now selling the DX50 at $ 200 and I'm really debating whether to buy it now or wait for DX90, DX90 seems to you that should significantly improve the sound of the headphones I ordered DUNU DN1000.

Please help me decide.
wait for DX90, or buy now the DX50 Masdrop at $ 200? What do you suggest?

I want to connect them only to DUNU DN1000 and I use only the music, I do not need quality screen video, etc. (I have GALAXY S3 now for that)

It only a 40 dollar savings, which I suppose is a lot considering. The DX90 is suppose to be sold on there website this coming week. I personally would wait for the latest and greatest, but that's just me. On MP4nation they generally have good deals as well.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #12,247 of 18,652
  any website now selling the DX50 at $ 200 and I'm really debating whether to buy it now or wait for DX90, DX90 seems to you that should significantly improve the sound of the headphones I ordered DUNU DN1000.

Please help me decide.
wait for DX90, or buy now the DX50 Masdrop at $ 200? What do you suggest?

Well if you don't want to wait, I will say the DN1000 and the DX50 pair very well together (that's what I have now).
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #12,249 of 18,652
  Yeah I just found out that and from wat the guy told me it'll be awesome if I combo the PB2 with the DB2 for my DX 50 but the thing is I am trying to decide if I should get the amp BP2 or the HD 650 as I am a little tight on money and can't afford both so I am wanting to get something that has more value for dollars. 

Hey I just bought the PB2 amp and it sound amazing with my dx 50 and HD 558 but I was even more surprised when the person in charge told me I could have more fun with the amp by changing all the little chips or stacking them up together! which is great but I have no clue what chip give wat sound and if I can mix the chips togeher? or how the impedence controller works or will stacking the chips create a different kinda sound? can anyone give me a tutorial on that?  HTanks

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #12,250 of 18,652

Hey I just bought the PB2 amp and it sound amazing with my dx 50 and HD 558 but I was even more surprised when the person in charge told me I could have more fun with the amp by changing all the little chips or stacking them up together! which is great but I have no clue what chip give wat sound and if I can mix the chips togeher? or how the impedence controller works or will stacking the chips create a different kinda sound? can anyone give me a tutorial on that?  HTanks

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #12,251 of 18,652
Hi guys I need your help I am trying to get and amp and a dac or combo of both for my DX 50, I want to build my own personal ultimate portable sound gig, but I am not sure which amp or dac to buy. if possible I would like a combo but also I want it to utilize its own components to give me the best sound possible also I am planning to get the HD 650 sometime so I need something that can power up 300 impedance at least. thanks 

You need to take note that DX50 has Coax only for digital out to an external DAC. There are not many portable DAC out there that has Coax IN. If you go full iBasso stack look for DB2/PB2 combo. I'm sure it can power a wide range of headphones from iem to headphones. HD650 would be easy to drive for PB2.

But like others have mentioned DX50's DAC is already good and you may only need a portable amp.

Here are just a few that works very well for DX50

-PB2
-Pico Power
-Quickstep
-O2
-UHA760
-UHA-6S MKII (This one has a built-in DAC with Coax in, but imo not as good as the DAC in DX50)

I list them in the order of the most power it can supply not necessarily the best sounding. I personally tried O2 and UHA-6S MKII (my current portable amp paired with DX50) with HD650 and both can sufficiently drive HD650.

You can check out this thread as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687288/so-im-looking-for-that-perfect-amp

Don't forget C&C BH2^^

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #12,252 of 18,652

You can start with the OPamps and extra buffers that came the PB2. There is a a manual on the ibasso website that shows you how to change them.

You can also look at this thread which will give you more background information :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/528149/ibasso-pb-2-pelican-fully-balanced-portable-db-2-dac-hiflight-recommended-op-amps-page-16

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #12,254 of 18,652
Question is: 
[COLOR=333333]Will combination of the DB2 with[/COLOR] Dual WM8740[COLOR=333333] sounds better against one [/COLOR]WM8740 [COLOR=333333]on the DX50?[/COLOR]

When connecting using DB2, it logical to run a full balance system with portable amp like PB2, RSA intruder, Duet, etc
The benefit is quite immediate felt as you hear better soundstage, instrument separation and fuller sound.
I am sure how much that improvement is attributed to DB2 specifically and whether to SQ improvement justifies carrying a 3piece stack is up to each individual....

Its the same reason why DX90 looks promising with its dual DAC design...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back