The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 18, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #12,271 of 18,652

So yeah I am really enjoying my new amp but I am abit confused with the balance input, so the guy told me that unless my headphone uses a balance connector then it's pointless to use a balance cable between my PB 2 and DB2( which i will get in the future) My question is that I've seen someone saying they use the HD 650 balance connector to the DX 50 and PB 2  but the HD 650 I saw doesn't have a balance connector, do i have to buy one?

The shop guy told me that 6-pin balance connector are rare and hard to find, also i am wondering if I had a balance cable between my PB2 and DP2 if it's gonna sound better even if the output connector to my headphone is still unbalance. One last question is will it sound better if I use my cheap hippo amp as a preamp to my PB2 then Dx50? I just tried it and it works but I am hoping for someone to tell me if it will diminish the sound or improve it.

Sorry one more question, can someone explain to me more in detail with OPamp chips that came with the PB2? I just need to know which Opamp give wat kinda sound.

The shop guy might have been pulling your leg: http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=59 - $10 straight from Ibasso, just needs to be soldered onto a cable that'll fit your headphones 
smile.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #12,274 of 18,652
I have not been keeping up with this thread, but has ibasso announced anything on the next update that will allow the dx50 to be used as a USb dac? I'm tired of having to use my cheap hifimediy dac with my speakers when I am at home.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #12,276 of 18,652
Any sound comparison between iBasso DX50 vs Fiio X5?
Which one has wider soundstage, separation, and detail?

Seeing as you're in a Dx 50 appreciation thread I would say that the DX 50 has more detail and a wider sound stage but seriously if you can afford the Dx 50 then you should go for it tons of reviewers has said the DX 50 sound is superior to the Fiio X5 

I did much research before getting the Dx 50 and came across a cheaper alternative which is Fiio X5 but opt for the better one in the end. :D 

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #12,277 of 18,652
Seeing as you're in a Dx 50 appreciation thread I would say that the DX 50 has more detail and a wider sound stage but seriously if you can afford the Dx 50 then you should go for it tons of reviewers has said the DX 50 sound is superior to the Fiio X5 

I did much research before getting the Dx 50 and came across a cheaper alternative which is Fiio X5 but opt for the better one in the end. :D 

I think you've confused the X5 with the X3. The X5 is more expensive and the enteral consensus is that is sounds better also...

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #12,278 of 18,652
From what I hear the X5 is better but that's to be expected given the price. I'm interested to see whether the DX90 will beat the X5. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #12,279 of 18,652
I think you've confused the X5 with the X3. The X5 is more expensive and the enteral consensus is that is sounds better also...

It won't be a fair comparison. :wink:

Their coming X7 is more likely to be a better one. I have the feeling it'll be the dap to beat unless the Calyx M is superior. Who knows they are either on the design board or not released globally.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #12,280 of 18,652
I have had both, they are very close, the X5 has more detail at the expense of brightness.
I bought the DX50

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #12,282 of 18,652
This is 3 posts of back and forth compressed into 1 to answer your question:

I got to listen to a demo X5 this week and both my wife and I preferred the DX50 > X5...so DX90 should be >>>> X5 IMO.I have a small audio palette, but I know I love the iBasso sound and dont care for the Fiio sound.

I almost exclusively used the HO on both, as to eliminate any secondary influence on the sound. I hooked up the BH2 and an E12 for a bit, and I liked the X5 with the LO better. The X5 HO seemed too warm to me. The bass bled into the mids IMO, which I dont like. The LO seemed cleaner/less colored.

But for a stand alone DAP, DX50 > X5 no contest IMO. The wife knows nothing about hifi audio and I had her listen to the 2 without telling her anything, and she chose the DX50 by a large margin too. I guess a lot of it comes down to 'do you like the Fiio house sound'? If you like the X3 sound, you'll like the X5. If you like the DX50's more neutral sound, you'll love the DX90 (i bet). Personally, I like uncolored sound, which I think iBasso excels at. (or what they do add in, I like)

Via the line out, it becomes closer to a toss up. Sound wise, I thought the TI DAC on the X5 had slightly better instrument separation, but almost too much on some recordings, to the point that an instrument was too localized on the sound stage.

Overall, my wife called the DX50 more realistic and musical and closer to being at a live performance. I agree with that assessment. The X5 is a good player, and many will like it, but I prefer the Wolfson DAC/DX50 sound. I'll be interested to hear a DX90 to compare. I have not knowingly heard a Sabre DAC (although im sure i probably have unknowingly), but I enjoy the Wolfson 8740 in the DX50 a lot.

Using the LO on the X5 removed the lows bleeding into the mids, so thats a result of their amp I guess. Even Amped, I liked the DX50 by a hair, but it becomes much closer when using the LO. Also, when using bass boost on the amps, I thought the DX50 sounded better when boosted. The X5 got a little muddy when using a secondary bass boost.

. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back