The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #11,326 of 18,652
  I get UI freezes with the last Update.... (I also got one system freeze 2 days ago)

I used to have this issue before and in my case the only way to solve the problem was to burn the firmware again but first starting with a brand new download, extracting the image file and saving it to the DX50 internal memory. Then I would perform the update, wait until it starts up and finish with the factory reset. If I follow those steps closely I just do not get any freezes.

Hope you can solve your problem.

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #11,327 of 18,652
I have never had a freeze with 1.2.8 and use it every day. I imagine like the post above, just download it again and reload it and do a factory reset. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #11,328 of 18,652
Ill wait a bit more to see it it happens more or it old some songs and ill report back if i have proper news

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #11,329 of 18,652
I have some DAPs here that have higher resolution than the DX50 but, and to me this is Very important, IMO, the DX50 is one of the most musical daps I have. Better sound than the modified AK100 and more musical, and as detailed. Then there are others that outreach the AK easily but the DX50 is just plain musical with 1.2.8 and it works fantastic with an amp now with the same FW. If you like music, I can't see why this dap won't be good for years. 

Interesting)) can you expand your impressions on other daps vs dx50?

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #11,330 of 18,652
The weather has been a bit bad here in the UK, so finding myself prefering to stay indoors I thought I'd try a little maths [ based on what others have posted on here].

So take

Then add

And this equals

with a residual of a certain amount of smugness.

More .flac goodness than ever before.
atsmile.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #11,331 of 18,652
Mine freezes nearly every day since updating and I have downloaded and installed 1.2.8 firmware twice and did it correctly. I just have to reset it as I cannot live without my DX50, it is just to good.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #11,332 of 18,652
I had quite a bit of trouble with quality control of the rendition 1 (3 faulty amps) before getting a refund. Id be a little careful jumpin on the R1

I had zero issues with my R1 and I know of two other R1 owners here in Denmark who's had no issues either, but I wouldn't buy a new one from Heir, keep an eye on the B&S forum instead 
smile.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #11,333 of 18,652
Mine freezes nearly every day since updating and I have downloaded and installed 1.2.8 firmware twice and did it correctly. I just have to reset it as I cannot live without my DX50, it is just to good.

Mine works fine. Never encountered any freezing issues. I never used the internal storage of the dx50. The only thing that is inside of it is the wallpaper and the cached files.
Try reloading the firmware again and perform a factory reset.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #11,334 of 18,652

I was having freezing for awhile until I decided to rescan my microsd card. I usually rescan the card twice and it solves the freezing.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #11,335 of 18,652
I was having freezing for awhile until I decided to rescan my microsd card. I usually rescan the card twice and it solves the freezing.

I agree with you mate. What I usually do is scan the files, turn it off after scanning and turn it back on. You will see a progress bar when you turn it back on.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #11,336 of 18,652
I agree with you mate. What I usually do is scan the files, turn the it off after scanning and turn it back on. You will see a progress bar when you turn it back on.

Make sure there are absolutely no "stray" files on the microSD card, only supported music files and cover jpg's. No .m3u, .log or other files. That, combined with careful tagging and I have zero freezes or crashes on 1.2.8.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #11,337 of 18,652

I had constant freezing issues on a very regular basis until seeing what was going on.  When you perform an upgrade, by following the directions in the .txt that comes with the firmware upgrade file, and then perform a scan afterwards the music database gets messed up with duplicates, which definitely is a cause of freezing.  To fix it, this database should be deleted during an upgrade or downgrade of firmware.  Doing a factory reset through the UI doesn't delete this database.  

For the database to be deleted for a full reset you have to boot into recovery mode (shut down, turn on holding in the power button and volume up button, keep holding volume up button until in recovery mode).  Do a factory reset from that screen.  Also with the later firmwares, there's a folder that gets created on the root of your sd card.  Plug into a computer and delete that folder.  At this point you're ready to let the dx50 perform a full scan, and if that was the only issue causing all the freezing you should be good to go.  

I haven't experienced a freeze on any firmware since I discovered this a couple months back, after suffering through it daily for a good month, was about ready to ask for a refund.

None of this is intuitive or user friendly.  But key point to take away, do not perform a full file scan if you've already performed one and have all the database files still present from the previous scan.  Don't let it perform a full scan because you added or removed some albums from your SD card, just navigate to the new folder and it will scan and add only that directory to the database.  And, taking note, the regular factory reset does not wipe this database for you.  So if you keep changing firmware versions, and keep performing fresh scans after each one without clearing your database it becomes a total mess.  

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #11,339 of 18,652
  I do this literally every single time I add a new album and I've had zero problems with it so far...

I have tons of issues when I let it rescan the entire card because of minor changes, it creates a duplicate of every entry that already exists in its 'database', which seems to confuse the player and causes it to freeze when it doesn't know which database entry it should be using.  

It doesn't hurt the database to have files in it that no longer exist on the SD card, performing  a full scan won't remove those entries either.  It just doesn't create duplicates of them.  But from the directory view, it'll scan and add only those new albums you may have added since the last full scan.  

If your dx50 never freezes and you have a database folder consisting of duplicates of every song, that is impressive, as it's a repeatable issue for me.  But also an easily fixable issue once I noticed it.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #11,340 of 18,652
I have tons of issues when I let it rescan the entire card because of minor changes, it creates a duplicate of every entry that already exists in its 'database', which seems to confuse the player and causes it to freeze when it doesn't know which database entry it should be using.

This is true. Try deleting the cached files on both dx50 and the sd card. It may take time to scan again but no duplicates IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back