The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #3,691 of 18,652
  Ok , good to know that there will be a progress from my iphone to dx50 . Has anyone heard the dx50 with the westone 4 ? I havent found a single opinion about this combo and trust me i read quite many pages on this thread ;DD

I personally like the pairing.  I usually use my 4's with Comply tips because I don't like the highs with the silicone tips.  Often this attenuates the high's somewhat but still presents what to me is a "natural" presentation of music, though some folks may find it to be a boring or un-involving sound.  With the DX50, even with the Comply tips, the highs have some more sparkle to them though the sound generally remains balanced.  I could do with some more bass but it's there (I haven't messed with EQ though to see if that makes a difference).  Nice soundstage as well.  So I think if you like the Westone R sound in general you'll probably like the pairing with the caveat that, at least to me, it's a brighter sound than I'm used to getting out of them.

I want to add that I think the pairing works better with the X3 - a warmer sound, though at the expense of a more intimate soundstage.

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #3,692 of 18,652
  Ok , good to know that there will be a progress from my iphone to dx50 . Has anyone heard the dx50 with the westone 4 ? I havent found a single opinion about this combo and trust me i read quite many pages on this thread ;DD

I have, tried it with my buddy's W4R, I was worried it would be sibilant at first, since i've been using the SE215 and SE425, so I may have missed all the complaints of the DX50 being treble happy, but fortunately its not! Just need to put the amp on mid gain, and it sounds terrific. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #3,696 of 18,652
I personally don't find it sibilant, but to me the sound can often feel on the bright side to me, especially compared to the X3, which to me has a warmer sound.

The DX50 EQ will nicely take the edge off any brightness that is apparent with some ears or phones. The "Classical" preset sounds very nice and save a lot of trial and error.

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #3,697 of 18,652
No problem for me with the highs and I am sensitive to them. I do have a couple of daps I don't use do to the highs.

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #3,698 of 18,652
Hiya all, will someone please indulge me with some Line Out science. I fully understand and use the benefits of line out + ext amp but I do have a little science question. How is my DX50 in this case still able to change the volume even tho the amp is bypassed? iPods don't allow the volume to be changed with a LOD, is this an apple specific thing, why? Just curious 
gs1000.gif

Cheers,

Lee

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #3,699 of 18,652

Question: Did anyone else have problems with putting the protective screen on the screen without bubbles?

Yes I got the screen protector on with no bubbles. I have screen protectors on everything that has a screen, so I have installed screen protectors probably a few hundred times. Here's a couple tricks if you screw up with the installation. If you need to remove the screen protector, use a piece of tape. If you get dust on the screen protector, do not try washing it because sometimes the silicon/rubber layer will rub off. Instead get a piece of tape and tape the area where the dust particle is and it will remove. To get rid of bubbles, lift up the one corner with tape to the area where the bubbles are, then using a credit card slowly squeegee the screen protector flat. Hope that helps.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #3,700 of 18,652
Hiya all, will someone please indulge me with some Line Out science. I fully understand and use the benefits of line out + ext amp but I do have a little science question. How is my DX50 in this case still able to change the volume even tho the amp is bypassed? iPods don't allow the volume to be changed with a LOD, is this an apple specific thing, why? Just curious :gs1000smile:

Cheers,

Lee

I posted the reason why a little earlier. iBasso designed the LO using the line out from the dac and they used the digital volume control on the dac to control the player volume, unfortunately the control acts on both ports, that is the headphone out and the line out. That is why it behaves that way.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #3,701 of 18,652
I posted the reason why a little earlier. iBasso designed the LO using the line out from the dac and they used the digital volume control on the dac to control the player volume, unfortunately the control acts on both ports, that is the headphone out and the line out. That is why it behaves that way.

Cheers, I think I understand now. Is there an optimum volume setting for least distortion using line out? if that makes sense,thanks again, Lee

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #3,702 of 18,652
The volume is controlled digitally before the amp section. Not uncommon now days.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3,703 of 18,652
Cheers, I think I understand now. Is there an optimum volume setting for least distortion using line out? if that makes sense,thanks again, Lee

I used it full volume and no distortion I can detect however I tend to keep mine around 230, 240 range and let the amp control the final volume. Be careful though that's insanely high on the headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back