The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #3,661 of 18,652
I already ordered the dx50 but i keep asking myself one question. On my iphone 4 with w4r not only is the imaging bad but the instruments all seem small , almost like if miniature versions of instruments were Played by a tiny orchestra spread in front of me And maybe 10 degree behind. The detail And separation is superb though. Will the dx50 give me a bigger sound with a bigger soundstage than the iphone 4 or will i need an amp to make a reasonable difference. Also music from an iphone lacks emotional depth And people Say that ak100 gives you a great "emotional" view on music . Now if the dx50 is said to be better than ak100 will it also take me on such an "emotional journey". Im scared that the setup that im going to have - w4r +dx50 will be to neutral or lifeless . Am i right ? Also the problem with iphone seems strange as i hear people saying that iphone is the only audiophile dap ill ever need for iem , And raving about its sq

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #3,662 of 18,652
I already ordered the dx50 but i keep asking myself one question. On my iphone 4 with w4r not only is the imaging bad but the instruments all seem small , almost like if miniature versions of instruments were Played by a tiny orchestra spread in front of me And maybe 10 degree behind. The detail And separation is superb though. Will the dx50 give me a bigger sound with a bigger soundstage than the iphone 4 or will i need an amp to make a reasonable difference. Also music from an iphone lacks emotional depth And people Say that ak100 gives you a great "emotional" view on music . Now if the dx50 is said to be better than ak100 will it also take me on such an "emotional journey". Im scared that the setup that im going to have - w4r +dx50 will be to neutral or lifeless . Am i right ? Also the problem with iphone seems strange as i hear people saying that iphone is the only audiophile dap ill ever need for iem , And raving about its sq

Yes

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #3,663 of 18,652
Hi All.
Love this player.
Question: I'm using [COLOR=333333]Onboard Flash, MicroSD Card and External USB. all work fine. but, I have noticed that the DX[/COLOR] scans [COLOR=333333]only the MicroSD on start. Unless I play a new folder from.. let's say - the External USB, only than i can see it on the Album/artist lists.... what's up with that?[/COLOR]

The DX50 will only scan OTG albums as they are selected for play. There is no way to scan all of the music in an OTG drive. As some owners are using 1TB drives, scanning an entire drive could take hours, if not days. After the initial scan of a micro SD card, the Media Scan should only display for several seconds when starting the player. It will then scan each selected OTG album when selected.

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #3,664 of 18,652
  Hi All.
Love this player.
Question: I'm using Onboard Flash, MicroSD Card and External USB. all work fine. but, I have noticed that the DX scans only the MicroSD on start. Unless I play a new folder from.. let's say - the External USB, only than i can see it on the Album/artist lists.... what's up with that?

It only scans the SD card hence the "Scan SD card" button. It will scan files on the USB as you play them but not automatically.

*Edit: HFlight beat me to it.

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #3,665 of 18,652
did you guys use EQ on your dx50....i like the SQ without EQ on but i find that the treble is a bit harsh.. but i i enable EQ...the whole SQ become very dull....

When selected, the EQ will lower the overall volume level of the player at a given volume setting to provide additional headroom to avoid clipping or distortion when boosting particular parts of the audio spectrum.

This initial volume reduction likely results in the impression of dullness that you perceive. Although I don't often use EQ, I find the Classical preset to be very effective in adding a sense of increased size to the venue. I do not notice any dulling of the sound at all.

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #3,668 of 18,652
Will the dx50 give me a bigger sound with a bigger soundstage than the iphone 4 or will i need an amp to make a reasonable difference. Also music from an iphone lacks emotional depth And people Say that ak100 gives you a great "emotional" view on music . Now if the dx50 is said to be better than ak100 will it also take me on such an "emotional journey". Im scared that the setup that im going to have - w4r +dx50 will be to neutral or lifeless . Am i right ? Also the problem with iphone seems strange as i hear people saying that iphone is the only audiophile dap ill ever need for iem , And raving about its sq

It will be be better than your iphone for sure. Sound and music  is subjective though, some people like the sound of AK100, some like the DX50, others prefer the HM-601. You may very well find the w4r + dx50 to be too neutral, others may love it. Depending on your musical tastes you may like the hifiman players, better, for Jazz, I think they are well suited, they have a thick, warm, slow, "emotional/euphonic" more "analogue" sound. DX50 has a fairly neutral sound balance, good detail, good sound stage, with a touch of energy, basically is an all rounder, nothing really "emotional" about the sound :p

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #3,669 of 18,652

Hi there I have also just purchased my DX 50 after listening to music everyday on my Iphone 4s for more than 1 and a half years and a HTC One for a few weeks, I have no regrets on buying the DX 50, it does have an "emotional journey" but it also depends what IEM or headphone you use, like when I use my Triple Vi 10 it feels absolutely real like I was sitting right in front of the Beatles as they sing "Do you wanna know a secret" ,priceless...

However when I use my HD 558 it has a more intimate feel and a very ominous sound stage, trust me you won't regret switching to a proper DAP instead of a smart phone and the reason why iPhone is so famous for being a good smart phone music player simple because it is the best in my opinion for playing music compared to any other smart phones even till today.My HTC One has a Beat amp and EQ which messes with my sound which is why i got the DX 50 instead 

IMO if you have the right synergy with your IEM or headphone with the DX 50 it will definitely sound world's apart even against the Apple iPhone. FYI: The reason why apple's product is still one of the best in the music player industry out there is because they were the first one to truly introduce the modern MP3 player so because of that they have about more experience from creating good music players. That's my 2 cents anyway :D 

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #3,670 of 18,652
This should probably go into the bug thread. But I noticed that putting gappless to close, will actually clip a couple of seconds of the ending of the song. But when you set gappless to 5 seconds it will actually be gappless! 

Now, it has a very smooth gappless transition between songs. I'm starting to love this player more and more. The SQ is quite fantastic paired with the BA200.

Question: Did anyone else have problems with putting the protective screen on the screen without bubbles? 

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #3,671 of 18,652
I ruined the original screen protector, it just wouldn't stick in my instance. Yes it was the right way round. I ended up cutting one from an iPhone 4 protector.

Regarding missing the end of some songs, my unit misses the very start of some tracks, it's very quick. I'll try your method as my gapless is set to closed currently.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #3,672 of 18,652
Hi Guys

I have on of these dx50s reserved for the next batch, I just need to purchase a good matching set of iems to go with it.. Im new enough to the audio area but could anyone recommend a set of iems for a budget of up to 250$,Im sure in time i will move onto some higher end iems lol.. Music I mostly listen to is hard rock with nice guitar solo's..

Any help or advice much appreciated
Steve

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #3,674 of 18,652
  Hi Guys

I have on of these dx50s reserved for the next batch, I just need to purchase a good matching set of iems to go with it.. Im new enough to the audio area but could anyone recommend a set of iems for a budget of up to 250$,Im sure in time i will move onto some higher end iems lol.. Music I mostly listen to is hard rock with nice guitar solo's..

Any help or advice much appreciated
Steve

Make sure the IEM is rated above 24 ohm. Right now I'm using it with the TDK BA200, and I am thoroughly enjoying this pairup. At the end of this week I will receive my custom in ears from cosmic ears. So the BA200 will probably end up in a drawer :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back