The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #2,701 of 18,652
Does anyone have any ideas for amplifiers for the DX50? Looking to sell my E12, since it's either a step down or a sidestep from the DX50. I'm looking at ALO amps (International, National, Continental V3), and would appreciate any opinions on these or other amps. 

I also wish to know...it seems the amp section of dx50 is pretty good for iem already....But just everyone else, i am also always looking for ways to improve the sq

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #2,703 of 18,652
I agree... I messed around with caps on the bottlehead quickie and it made a noticeable difference.

Thanks to the technology advancement, today we have an ocean of caps to explore and try. That's exciting for audio.

Here at head-fi, I haven't seen many people crazy about caps. Some Chinese audiophiles have been crazy tho and spending big bucks on the caps (a pair of caps costing $500). My guess is these Chinese dap makers are paying great attentions to the caps they chose.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #2,705 of 18,652
I have blackgate non polar but not sure I would use them.

The caps that iBasso uses are not cheap. So I am not sure of the upgrade to sound. They supply the opamps on the output.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2,707 of 18,652
I hear no hiss or artifacts from the screen, just great sound. Maybe I have tin ears..:xf_eek:

Or maybe you prefer listening to music than listening for hiss... :D

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #2,708 of 18,652

Thanks to the technology advancement, today we have an ocean of caps to explore and try. That's exciting for audio.

Here at head-fi, I haven't seen many people crazy about caps. Some Chinese audiophiles have been crazy tho and spending big bucks on the caps (a pair of caps costing $500). My guess is these Chinese dap makers are paying great attentions to the caps they chose.

This and they do look selected. I wouldn't use the Black Gates unless I wanted it darker. Of what I've heard and would fit I like Simlic IIs if I'm going for a more neutral character. You can also bypass whats there with 1-3uf cap. I like about a 200 to one ratio if I'm bypassing an already good part. I know others like 10 or 20-1 but I've found it to sometimes throw off the harmonics or timing. I'm not big into the mod thing but have done enough to know what I like. That said, it's a slippery slope and tunnel vision can take you on an unwanted journey. Looks Like Ibasso already voiced for what they are using so in this case, it probably isn't going to become more than it is with coupling cap change. Just different. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #2,709 of 18,652
Thanks for the kind words brothers...and sisters if you're out there...lol. I'm wondering about pairing this, the RWAK, AND the DX100 with the Tralucent T1...anyone have any other ideas for amps for all 3 in the "under $500 USD range"? 

Being that the DX100 is for home and the other two are for traveling...and ARE small enough to toss an amp into the mix. I was wondering what the suggestions would be?

Steve from NYC

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #2,710 of 18,652
Does anyone have any ideas for amplifiers for the DX50? Looking to sell my E12, since it's either a step down or a sidestep from the DX50. I'm looking at ALO amps (International, National, Continental V3), and would appreciate any opinions on these or other amps. 

I have just ordered a Tube Amp BL-2 for that very purpose...

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #2,711 of 18,652
Sep 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2,712 of 18,652

This and they do look selected. I wouldn't use the Black Gates unless I wanted it darker. Of what I've heard and would fit I like Simlic IIs if I'm going for a more neutral character. You can also bypass whats there with 1-3uf cap. I like about a 200 to one ratio if I'm bypassing an already good part. I know others like 10 or 20-1 but I've found it to sometimes throw off the harmonics or timing. I'm not big into the mod thing but have done enough to know what I like. That said, it's a slippery slope and tunnel vision can take you on an unwanted journey. Looks Like Ibasso already voiced for what they are using so in this case, it probably isn't going to become more than it is with coupling cap change. Just different. 

Those caps can be easily removed and put back (if needed) , correct? It never hurts trying something new, IMO. Audio is a mysterious animal and it’s hard to pin point just by the numbers. Yeah the dc offsets can be measured but not the SQ or sound sig.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #2,713 of 18,652
Hello all - 

Are there particular headphones that pair well with the DX50? I'm set on picking one up, but not sure which headphones I should go with. I listen to rock, jazz, guitar instrumental, etc. and would prefer something closed to block out noise and to avoid annoying others. A nice soundstage would be good, but not sure how realistic this is with closed headphone. I would be willing to spend up to $200, though less would be perfectly fine as well :) 

I do not plan on buying an amp, by the way. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2,714 of 18,652
  Hello all - 

Are there particular headphones that pair well with the DX50? I'm set on picking one up, but not sure which headphones I should go with. I listen to rock, jazz, guitar instrumental, etc. and would prefer something closed to block out noise and to avoid annoying others. A nice soundstage would be good, but not sure how realistic this is with closed headphone. I would be willing to spend up to $200, though less would be perfectly fine as well :) 

I do not plan on buying an amp, by the way. 

Try to check the K550 thread if anyone's tried it with the DX50. I tried it with a (review unit) DX100 and the combo was fantastic, I didn't even notice I've been standing for almost an hour at the store where the K550's were available for demo, going through tracks from Nightwish's "Wishmaster" and jazz and blues tracks from Focal's demo discs (all ripped to FLAC in the SD Card).

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #2,715 of 18,652
I got one a day after they shipped it.
Some people have had theirs arrive before they got the shipping notification.

Like you I'd like to enjoy my DX50 (3rd batch). Unfortunately I have not seen any bit of it.

iBasso sent a first shipment via EMS, on time. After one week without update (last status: Guangzhou), iBasso sent me a second DX50. But again, no update on the tracker for three days...! I don't live so far from China. Sometimes I imagine that two EMS employees must be enjoying every bit of this player as we speak.

Bottomline: after you order ask iBasso to ship via DHL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back