The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #2,687 of 18,652
Can't be 440 mf for those electrolytic looking caps.

Don't get any ideas ripping the caps for better ones you hear me
biggrin.gif

Those caps look like replaceable, and what are you waiting for?
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #2,688 of 18,652
I go from the DX50 to RWAK100 to DX100 all day long now. To keep things level I'm only using my 4Ai's. 

I love the DX50 and it's build quality, I have to say that first. However, I definitely do not think the SQ is anywhere near the DX100. It's closer to the RWAK100 but to my ears the SQ difference when using flac's both 16bit and 24bit is definitely noticeable. The higher end DAP's have a distinctive edge over the DX50 IMHO. I use the DX100 at home and the other two while at work listening for almost the entire day while I do my job. There's a clarity, increased soundstage, and separation when using the higher priced DAP's that the DX50 cannot match. Problem is that I do love all three but in my order of goodness I rank them:

1. Still the winner: DX100
2. RWAK100 
3. DX50 just being edged out by the above RWAK100

Listening to the band that Soren turned me onto...Fink, Dark Side of the Moon, Jesse Cooke, and a lot of classical is what I've used to make these determinations.

Steve from NYC

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #2,690 of 18,652
I go from the DX50 to RWAK100 to DX100 all day long now. To keep things level I'm only using my 4Ai's. 

I love the DX50 and it's build quality, I have to say that first. However, I definitely do not think the SQ is anywhere near the DX100. It's closer to the RWAK100 but to my ears the SQ difference when using flac's both 16bit and 24bit is definitely noticeable. The higher end DAP's have a distinctive edge over the DX50 IMHO. I use the DX100 at home and the other two while at work listening for almost the entire day while I do my job. There's a clarity, increased soundstage, and separation when using the higher priced DAP's that the DX50 cannot match. Problem is that I do love all three but in my order of goodness I rank them:

2. RWAK100 

Listening to the band that Soren turned me onto...Fink, Dark Side of the Moon, Jesse Cooke, and a lot of classical is what I've used to make these determinations.

Steve from NYC

Thanks Steve for your ranking, not bad for a unit at least a third of the highly priced competitors. I'd say iBasso did a good job releasing this dap on the market.

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2,691 of 18,652
No problem, I think, as i said earlier in the thread...that iBasso hit it out of the park with this. They've given everyone the opportunity to listen to high SQ music!

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #2,694 of 18,652
The dx50 to me sounds better than the x3.

The caps they used in the dx50 are very good and above its price point.

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,695 of 18,652
I hear no hiss or artifacts from the screen, just great sound. Maybe I have tin ears..:xf_eek:

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,696 of 18,652

2. RWAK100 

Steve from NYC

I would have to agree on your ranking.  Took some time last night to compare DX50 with the DX100 and while the DX100 is clearly better, the DX50 holds it's own, especially at it's price point.  Listening to the DX50 on it's own I don't feel like I'm really missing anything. It's really a bargain.

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,697 of 18,652
The dx50 to me sounds better than the x3.

the caps they used are very good and above its price point.

Sometimes I am wondering whether the caps are one of most influential items to the SQ and/or sound sig. From my own experience, it can make drastic difference in sound. Truly amazing.

I will likely hit that Paypal button when a new firmware is released to support cue for both ape and flac.

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #2,698 of 18,652

2. RWAK100 

Steve from NYC

Steve, thanks for the opinion, answers some my questions. Still for the price dx50 looks like a huge bargain considering prices of dx100 and Rwak100.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #2,699 of 18,652
Does anyone have any ideas for amplifiers for the DX50? Looking to sell my E12, since it's either a step down or a sidestep from the DX50. I'm looking at ALO amps (International, National, Continental V3), and would appreciate any opinions on these or other amps. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #2,700 of 18,652
Sometimes I am wondering whether the caps are one of most influential items to the SQ and/or sound sig. From my own experience, it can make drastic difference in sound. Truly amazing.

I will likely hit that Paypal button when a new firmware is released to support cue for both ape and flac.
I agree... I messed around with caps on the bottlehead quickie and it made a noticeable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back