The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Apr 14, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #16,801 of 18,652
1.3.3 has the smoothest and most effortless sound signature when compared to every stable firmware available. If you are having issues with brightness then that is the firmware I would recommend.

Yea, it has kind of smoothed highs region but not in a bad way - it sounds very clear, detailed and airy.
Just give it a try and set hidden settings to flac-only / iir off / cpu default... You probably wont be disappointed in that SQ :wink:

Update: Tried Rockbox first and can confirm that gapless works perfectly. Sound quality is miles better than stock 1.8 imho. Will need to try a few themes, as the stock RB one has very small text, making the touch interface a mess for my monkey fingers (any suggestions?)
Will experiment with sound Unlocked next - for me, it will all hinge on gapless performance.
As an aside, I don't miss hi-res when using RB. The downsampling sounds better to my ears than the same files in hi-res via stock firmware. Hardly a definitive verdict, but good enough for me.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #16,802 of 18,652
Sound quality is miles better than stock 1.8 imho.

basshead.gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #16,803 of 18,652
h0race, if gapless is Your priority before SQ, then don`t bother trying SU, it plays "gapless" only with one file single rips + cue sheet.
Just stick with rockbox and find a nice skin. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #16,804 of 18,652
h0race, if gapless is Your priority before SQ, then don`t bother trying SU, it plays "gapless" only with one file single rips + cue sheet.

Thanks.

A few minor issues with Rockbox: some of my album art (which works fine with stock) isn't showing in RB. More seriously, some of my files (which again, work fine with stock) won't play in RB - pressing play brings up the now playing screen briefly before exiting to the RB boot screen. I suspect the former will be solved by re-embedding the art. The latter could be unrecognised characters in the tags(?) , but I'll need to do some research.

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #16,805 of 18,652

Thanks.

A few minor issues with Rockbox: some of my album art (which works fine with stock) isn't showing in RB. More seriously, some of my files (which again, work fine with stock) won't play in RB - pressing play brings up the now playing screen briefly before exiting to the RB boot screen. I suspect the former will be solved by re-embedding the art. The latter could be unrecognised characters in the tags(?) , but I'll need to do some research.

Rockbox doesn't support dynamic JPEG files. I'm not sure about the files that aren't playing though.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #16,807 of 18,652

1.3.3 has the smoothest and most effortless sound signature when compared to every stable firmware available. If you are having issues with brightness then that is the firmware I would recommend.

Yea, it has kind of smoothed highs region but not in a bad way - it sounds very clear, detailed and airy.
Just give it a try and set hidden settings to flac-only / iir off / cpu default... You probably wont be disappointed in that SQ
wink.gif

Update: Tried Rockbox first and can confirm that gapless works perfectly. Sound quality is miles better than stock 1.8 imho. Will need to try a few themes, as the stock RB one has very small text, making the touch interface a mess for my monkey fingers (any suggestions?)
Will experiment with sound Unlocked next - for me, it will all hinge on gapless performance.
As an aside, I don't miss hi-res when using RB. The downsampling sounds better to my ears than the same files in hi-res via stock firmware. Hardly a definitive verdict, but good enough for me.

If you go into touchscreen settings increase the line padding in lists. That will make it WAY easier! It is basically unusable otherwise. I tried the grid mode for a while, but I like it better this way.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #16,809 of 18,652

2. If I were to connect a 1TB portable drive full of music via OTG, would the DX50 fall over and splutter?

there no problem, i already try it but i use External HDD 3.5inch (with adaptor ones)

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #16,810 of 18,652
After some research, I'm inclined to say "no", but can the iBasso DX50 be used with (with, not as) an external DAC that can receive input though USB only? I mean, does it support audio output on USB? Thank you very much.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #16,811 of 18,652
Probably no. Only SPDIF jack into external DAC as far as I know.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #16,812 of 18,652
There is a problem with ibasso dx 50 1.8.0

i have lot of one file music albums in flac or in ape.

problem:
if the first track ended, the ibasso can't continue the playback to the 2nd track.no. it plays again the first track.
i need go to the next track manually:frowning2:
it is big problem!

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #16,813 of 18,652
There is probably a problem with 1.8.0 update and compatibility with tracks that previously played well on 1,6,0 and now are causing player reboot (it back to the state from which playback was started, so if it encounters problematic song as a 5th for example it back to the state before the 1st song played). I checked the encoders for mp3 files that are playable and that are not on 1.8.0 and there is no clue for that. Song with the same encoders either works well or causes a player reboot. I did factory reset after update, i thought it may be the thing about my micro SD card, but it;s not - when i downgraded the firmware version to 1.6.0 everything works fine. Will it be fixed in next upgrade? (I really enjoyed more bands in the EQ - needed new lower frequencies to bass sound properly on my headphones)

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #16,814 of 18,652
 hey! iam looking since 2 hours a solution to install SU 1.3.3 on my dx50 and cannot find anything. do someone have a link to a tutotorial , or can someone explain me ? i found a link to a file:  https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked is that the good place to get it?
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back