The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 3, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #15,676 of 18,652
Can some of You who use SU bring out differences between SU 1.3.3 (FLAC/irr off/cpu default) vs. SU 1.4.

I can`t compare atm (and for a while) because cap testing.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #15,677 of 18,652
Sorry,I'm not saying that every smartphone is better,just can't understand why mine is sounding better,at the moment.maybe I just need that kick from the drums,maybe I'm to desperate right now,maybe I can't see the upgrade I've made!I don't understand why the stock firmware is not so good.it's clear that sound unlocked sounds way better.I have read about lack of bass on ibasso,I've spent a lot of time reading and reading about this,before I've decided to get it,but it was fw 1.2 or something,and now it's 1.6,and still lack of bass.
I cant handle the eq,it's not the same as j3,it was easier to get a better sound in j3.it seems that the best sound is with eq off,even if I end up with to much highs.to sad to sell it,really,I wanted this so much,and I don't want to give it away right away...this is why I'm thinking of mods and searching for caps at the moment.
I'm really ok with the sound,just want that kick...different music sounds amazing,but death,black metal is what I'm listening,and some recordings in this area,are not the best ones.
If you had denon ahc-300 in the past,please tell me what you have now,and how does it compare to them!
I know what you mean about the base but the ibasso has more of a neutral base and I agree it does not have that kick
That you are referring to .
To me it's just right not too much or less .
I'm using as portable the shure se 535 and desktop set up the Phillips x2 and the akg q701
The Phillips X1 and x2 might have the sound sig you are looking for because the have a slightly
Elevated base I would not say that they are a neutral headphone either but they have somehow made
An open back headphone that produces a base that an open back headphone does not usually produce.
They are fun agile accurate and have great base with the dx50 .
They are my go too headphone for genre with strong base , drum and base , reggae , r@b , rock .
My shure se 535 and akg q701 are for my intimate music , jazz , electronica , live music ,
Anything with great vocals and ambience .
Your denon as I said don't think will satisfy you for what you crave .
Good luck and stick in there with the dx50 and appreciate the flat frequency response .
You will get used to it . :)

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #15,679 of 18,652
I have not been into head-fi for months now and there had been alot of DX50 firmwares but I've also noticed u guys talking about mega explosion in the sky firmware? Can someone explain wat is that? Is it a firmware? is it better than the official 1.60? wats so special about it? Is it the best? Is it worth changing from 1.6 to mega explosion in the sky? sorry for so many questions looks like i got alot to catch up with
beyersmile.png

Thank you! 

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #15,680 of 18,652
Can some of You who use SU bring out differences between SU 1.3.3 (FLAC/irr off/cpu default) vs. SU 1.4.

I can`t compare atm (and for a while) because cap testing.

I can give you a comparison later tonight or tomorrow morning, but I'm sure someome will beat me to it.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #15,681 of 18,652
mega explosion in the sky

LOL, what FW is that? ;D There are mega sound explosion but not in the sky as far as I know ;D
Try Sound unlocked 1.3.3 and new 1.4 (based on stock 1.6.0). From DOC`s FW`s most recent and "best" are New DOCs Favourite Firmware v1 & Final.

Btw, got some of my ordered capacitors and by initial impressions my 3 favourite are Panasonic FC, Panasonic AM and quite a surprise for me - Vishay BC 038 RSU series. Just fell asleep half hour ago while listening to The Mars Volta - Amputechture
tongue.gif
 Really enjoying the sound with these caps. Got to burn in all those caps while my Nichicon KW/FW/FG/KA are on the way. So far worst cap soundwise has been Panasonic FM (lack of mids and weird soundstage). Next up - Panasonic FC ...lets see if I fall asleep again while enjoying music 
biggrin.gif

@7S Cameron , thanks!

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #15,682 of 18,652
Couldn`t resist trying SU 1.4 with new capacitors. Unfortunately I`m littlebit disappointed. 1.4 is good but it`s not for my taste. Soundstage is narrower and pushed more towards front. It is very neutral sounding, maybe even too neutral and highs have littlebit spikey sound sometimes.
Anyway, atm my DX50 is running @ VishayBC 038 RSU capacitors (which have incredible mids and littlebit smoothed highs) and jumping from SU 1.3.3 to 1.4 was rather downgrade for me (compared with FLAC/irr OFF/CPU default). Now going to try NDFFFinal with these caps... predicting outcome will be awesome. Will keep You updated :wink:

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #15,684 of 18,652
DOC is unbelievable.

will try his 1.4 firmware. he always manage to best the official firmware somehow for me. salute!

Did You mean Dmitry`s 1.4 SU? DOC is other guy :wink:

Edit: About capacitors, like I thought, caps need some playtime to reveal their "true nature". Vishay has turned littlebit brighter but still very good.
       Despite NDFFFinal being very good, something still bothers me with highs, even with smoother sounding capacitors. But I`m littlebit sick also atm and caps haven`t burnt in properly yet, so it is too early to draw any conclusions. But atm I think SU 1.3.3 (FLAC/irr off/CPU default) + Panasonic FC sounds best. It`s almost like what I`d expect from NDFFFinal with smoother highs.

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #15,685 of 18,652
  LOL, what FW is that? ;D There are mega sound explosion but not in the sky as far as I know ;D
Try Sound unlocked 1.3.3 and new 1.4 (based on stock 1.6.0). From DOC`s FW`s most recent and "best" are New DOCs Favourite Firmware v1 & Final.

Btw, got some of my ordered capacitors and by initial impressions my 3 favourite are Panasonic FC, Panasonic AM and quite a surprise for me - Vishay BC 038 RSU series. Just fell asleep half hour ago while listening to The Mars Volta - Amputechture
tongue.gif
 Really enjoying the sound with these caps. Got to burn in all those caps while my Nichicon KW/FW/FG/KA are on the way. So far worst cap soundwise has been Panasonic FM (lack of mids and weird soundstage). Next up - Panasonic FC ...lets see if I fall asleep again while enjoying music 
biggrin.gif

@7S Cameron , thanks!

Good sir can u give me a link to what ur talking about? I have no idea wat is DOC's Favourite Firmware V1. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #15,686 of 18,652
http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=139417

Try New docs favourite firmware final and New docs favourite firmware v1.

Sound Unlocked can be found here: https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked

Recommend to try SU 1.3.3 with FLAC / irr off / CPU default settings.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #15,688 of 18,652

Can anyone tell me if the DX50 would be much of an upgrade over the Fiio X3. I do like that you can replace the battery on the DX50. Is it a well built player? I have read the FW has been improved and keeps getting better.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #15,690 of 18,652
Welp, bit the bullet and ordered one, so long to the Z2 and its issues.  Should I go for doc's firmware or SU right off the bat?  I mean, they seem to be basically objectively better than stock, so I can't really see why not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back