The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Apr 19, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #1,006 of 1,086
I have the Xelento and they are very V-shaped. To me they have very elevated bass and bright/sharp threbles. Mids on the other hand are pushed back. Comparing them with a neutral set like the Monarch 2 or even Twilight, they arent neutral at all.
just posted the graph above. your hearing seems quite on point..

Apr 19, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #1,008 of 1,086
For what I do with them they can handle the job. I use the adam a7x 90% of the time. But they' ve been great. I have Xelento 2 btw.
Beyerdynamic Xelento Remote G1 vs G2.png

not as much of a v shape but more of a u shape as i said this time with sucked out upper mids/lower treble. slightly less extreme, but still extreme. this far off from neutral. anyways if it works for you its fine, as that is most important.

Probably the music genre you produce doesnt make a lot use of sub bass, so you might not notice. this is also indicated by the graph of the admas, which have a steep roll off starting in midbass:
Screenshot 2024-04-19 150641.png

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #1,010 of 1,086
By the way, my Xelentos are calibrated with Sonnarworks Reference ID. Every headphone has to be for music production. The same for Studio Monitors. So, they are not sounding the same inside a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) as they sound straight from a DAC and a smartphone for music listening.

Edit: I would be jobless if I was relying on headphones only though. This is much more complicated than what it seems, but this is not the place to talk about it, hence my posture.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #1,011 of 1,086
By the way, my Xelentos are calibrated with Sonnarworks Reference ID. Every headphone has to be for music production. The same for Studio Monitors. So, they are not sounding the same inside a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) as they sound straight from a DAC and a smartphone for music listening.

Edit: I would be jobless if I was relying on headphones only though. This is much more complicated than what it seems, but this is not the place to talk about it, hence my posture.
Ooookkk, thats a whole different story then! :smile: :beerchug:

Apr 20, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #1,013 of 1,086
Still curious about my experiment with DC06 Pro, even knowing in advance that it won't sound any better :p

Come on, recommend a relatively affordable portable DAC that will sound better. lol. Cheaper than Mojo 2 (much. haha). I'm out of this audiophile market for a long time.

What about Mojo that you can get used for 200€? The only issue for me is that they forgot to add a soundstage to it :k701smile:

But I'm prettty sure Mojo will kick BTR15's ass. Won't it? My experience with Mojo in the past, just for music listening, was brief as I got Hugo 2 quickly. When I switched back to a friend's Mojo, I felt nothing. The reason was no soundstage, from what I recall. But fidelity was very high if my memory doesn't fails me. Hugo 2, a whole new dimension... Sold it because of portability. It was my dream sounding DAC.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #1,014 of 1,086
Lately I've been trying the EPZ TP50... I'm not saying it's at the level of the DC-Elite but it's not even kilometers behind and it costs a quarter... if you want to try it I don't think it will disappoint you...

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #1,015 of 1,086
Lately I've been trying the EPZ TP50... I'm not saying it's at the level of the DC-Elite but it's not even kilometers behind and it costs a quarter... if you want to try it I don't think it will disappoint you...
HI,

Nice recommendation, thanks. Have been reading reviews and those Cirrus Logic Dacs are really good from what I've gathered. Seems that it might sound more analytical than the other dongles at the same price. That's interesting.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #1,016 of 1,086
I prefer the original dc03 too the dc03 pro, w2(which i thought was dull and sucked quite frankly) and the hiby fc6 (was way too rich and full). The original ibasso dc03 has a truly unique wonderful engaging vocals/midrange velvety musicality too it. I think it's a cs dac too. The others I've tried don't come close too it. I also have the Plussound Silver tri-silver x (1000$) love it huge step up from the stock. I would say if you don't wanna splurge crazily like I did go for the plussound silver + gold for 300 I used too have it before I lost it, was great too diminishing returns rule def applys here 😉

Attachments

• PXL_20240421_052145925.jpg
    PXL_20240421_052145925.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240421_052957566.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240421_052957566.MP.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #1,017 of 1,086
I prefer the original dc03 too the dc03 pro, w2(which i thought was dull and sucked quite frankly) and the hiby fc6 (was way too rich and full). The original ibasso dc03 has a truly unique wonderful engaging vocals/midrange velvety musicality too it. I think it's a cs dac too. The others I've tried don't come close too it. I also have the Plussound Silver tri-silver x (1000$) love it huge step up from the stock. I would say if you don't wanna splurge crazily like I did go for the plussound silver + gold for 300 I used too have it before I lost it, was great too diminishing returns rule def applys here 😉
Yes, it uses Cirrus Logic CS43131 DAC (Dual). There's a review that describes the sound at a deep level, have never seen anything like it from other reviews and it matches exactly what I'm looking for. BTR15 sounds nothing like that. Pretty good, but not analytical, extremely revealing at a textural level of instrumentation, for critical listening. I compared it once to my Antelope Audio interface, and BTR15 sounded darker with less detail and extension in the higher frequencies, less texture and finesse. Faithfully there's 1 left at ebay, will try to order today before it's gone. Thanks alot Chessblitzer.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #1,019 of 1,086
HI,

Nice recommendation, thanks. Have been reading reviews and those Cirrus Logic Dacs are really good from what I've gathered. Seems that it might sound more analytical than the other dongles at the same price. That's interesting.
Unlike other dongles, the TP50 is very sensitive to the various well-implemented filters. If you want a soft and analogue sound you can select Slow LL or NOS OS, if instead you want maximum detail and extension the filter to use is Fast LL. This will also depend a lot on the type of IEM you want to connect it to and the music you listen to. With the same chip (dual CS43198) I prefer it to the W4 precisely because of its flexibility in every area of sound and the various configurations and functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back