The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Apr 21, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #1,021 of 1,095
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #1,023 of 1,095
how does the dc03 compare to the dc04pro sooundwise? Did anyone compare both?
Well, from my research they seem to sound pretty much the same, the Cirrus Logic DAc seems to deliver more detail/micro-detail, even low end quality, than ESS. Timbre seems to be more accurate too. DC04 Pro sounds better than DC05 and DC06 Pro, with better dynamic range, blacker backgroun and superior micro-detail. It's not 100% certain that DC04 Pro sounds the same as DC03 without an A/B test. But reviewers consider its sound quality superb, stunning and both use Cirrus Logic Dacs. I'm lead to think they're on the same level. Didn't know that DC03 doesn't have physical buttons for volume control, so it doesn't work for me. I have an eye on DC04 Pro.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #1,024 of 1,095
I have 3 of them just in case brother.... It's truly all you'll ever need I thought some of these newer hyped ones would be better just too be dissapointed. Nope wanted too throw fc6 which had no soundstage and way to in your face rich. I even prefer it over the "balanced" dc04pro I heard at a canjam in chicago. This dco3 has this special signature and engaging musicality too it throughout the ranges brother I can listen to that Twilight(Monster engaging midrange truly astonishing) and vocal deep house for hours on end with feetpounding FeelThePower💪💪 engagement.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #1,025 of 1,095
I have 3 of them just in case brother.... It's truly all you'll ever need I thought some of these newer hyped ones would be better just too be dissapointed. Nope wanted too throw fc6 which had no soundstage and way to in your face rich. I even prefer it over the "balanced" dc04pro. This dco3 has this special signature and engaging musicality too it throughout the ranges brother I can listen to that Twilight(Monster engaging midrange truly astonishing) and vocal deep house for hours on end with feetpounding FeelThePower💪💪 engagement.
Amazing, but I don't think I can work without a volume knob. And usually, a good one. And from what you describe, the more balanced dc04 pro will work better in my specific case. I don't want it too "musical" for producing. My Antelope Audio Interface sounds anything but musical, it's neutral, and when you listen to it you have goose bumps all over. Of course that you are not going to use such thing for music listening, but you could and would love it to death. It's basically the same as listening to a Chord Hugo 2, but without the coloration. They do this for music production. I will use the dongle for music production on the go.

I understood what the Cirrus Logic DAC does vs the ESS Dacs, so I'm all under it. :) That's probably why Antelope Audio used that chip on their first ever dongle (ZEO), but it turned out not to be successful and they won't probably keep doing it. Their 64bit Acoustically Focused Clocking is the best in industry, I never understood why ZEO didn't impress with a small soundstage. Antelope ZEN interfaces have a huge soundstage. Something failed there, that's why I didn't buy it and am now coming back to head-fi. lol. But you helped me a lot by recommending that dongle, I must be a half step of getting what I'm looking for :)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #1,027 of 1,095
Ibasso,

I have some UAC setting questions/

The DC04 Pro, for example, has 2 op-amps for output.

1. How does "turbo" mode set the ouput section (op-amps) ? Both in use ?
2. How does "eco" mode set the output section (op-amps) ? Only one in use ?
3. High gain vs Low gain - how does that set the output section (op-amps) ? One op-amp vs two ?

Is there a time when only one op-amp is used ? High gain and turbo sure sound like they would mean the same thing, but they are independent settings. Low gain and eco sure sound like they could be the same thing, but they are independent.
Please clarify.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #1,028 of 1,095
Ibasso,

I have some UAC setting questions/

The DC04 Pro, for example, has 2 op-amps for output.

3. High gain vs Low gain - how does that set the output section (op-amps) ? One op-amp vs two ?

Is there a time when only one op-amp is used ? High gain and turbo sure sound like they would mean the same thing, but they are independent settings. Low gain and eco sure sound like they could be the same thing, but they are independent.
Please clarify.
I'll try to answer, but I could be wrong and therefore it's always a good idea to accept an answer from iBasso or someone who is certain of the situation. Unlike the CS43198 chip, the CS43131 has integrated amplification inside. When in "eco mode" the DC04PRO completely turns off the two external opamps, entrusting the amplification to the internal one provided by the two CS43131, while in "turbo mode" the two opamps turn on. Being a dual mono configuration, the two opamps, when in "turbo mode" (therefore turned on) are always both active, but modulate their power based on the low gain or high gain setting. Confirmations are awaited... thanks.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #1,031 of 1,095
I am listening to the DC04pro with UAC to:

Eco on
Turbo on
high gain

I can't imagine what that means s far as amplification. CS chipset amps running full blast ??mm
That is something id be interested to know about

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #1,033 of 1,095
Both are in use.

When in eco mode, the OPAMPs are bypassed, and the DC04PRO use the internal AMPs of the DAC chipsets.

Both OPAMPs are used if it is Turbo mode, no matter if it is high gain or low gain.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 24, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #1,034 of 1,095
Both are in use.

When in eco mode, the OPAMPs are bypassed, and the DC04PRO use the internal AMPs of the DAC chipsets.

Both OPAMPs are used if it is Turbo mode, no matter if it is high gain or low gain.
Paul,
Thank you for your response.

So, for 3.5. Single ended output:

1. If Eco mode is selected turbo has no effect, correct ?

2. If turbo is on and the 3.5 single output is used both op amps are still in use or just one ?

3. How does turbo and high and low interact in the 3.5 output ? For example is there some configuration that uses one op amp at high gain and another configuration that uses both of them at a lower gain?

- referencing the 3.5 output only in all my questions I don't use 4.4 and never will.

- iBasso has really done a lot to tune this dongle. Eco mode is a very clean, You could say sterile, sound depending on what you're listening to, but a very detailed sound. I've spent a couple of hours listening to it that way and definitely appreciate it too.
Having the op amps involved, where ibasso's tuning is probably largely involved, really thickens and fattens up the sound. I can hear a difference, as I questioned above, between the turbo mode off and on even with the 3.5 single ended output (I think). That is why I was asking if possibly one or two are deployed based on high or low gain or turbo or not with the 3.5 out....

Please fill in the blanks for me if you would I'm sure we would all love to know exactly what these settings are and I think most of us have never fiddled with them because some early reviews said put it on turbo and that's all we ever did

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #1,035 of 1,095
Hi there!

Just got my iBasso DC06pro (MP145 / Galaxy S23). I have one question:

Where is the leather case? This thing is a fingerprint magnet 😄😁.

The DC04pro has them ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back