The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Apr 10, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #991 of 1,060
This is why we ask that people please buy from authorized sellers. They invest money and time in their business and have overhead so it is understood that they can't sell something near cost. I have seen some products sold that had a profit or 2 or 3 USD. But they offer little to no service and won't back up a warranty, most of the time. I have helped many people that have purchased from an unauthorized seller but full service is to purchases from authorized sellers and most of the time, an authorized seller will have a device repaired or they will replace it. We have sold 1000s of the DC06PRO with no problems. Of course there will always be some issues, which is true of any product. All we ask is to please purchase from Authorized sellers and they can be found on our website at Where to Buy at www.ibasso.com.
You know what? I found the receipt and I actually bought it at Audio46, I was confusing it with the DC04 Pro I bought at the same time which I did get from Aliexpress. Do I need to go through them or can I message you for service?

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #992 of 1,060
Sorry, but at this point a question arises spontaneously... but doesn't iBasso sell its products to unauthorized sellers? How do they obtain these products?
There are many products that end up on the grey market. If a company sells to a reseller or distributor, then it is authorized. Otherwise the product is purchased somewhere else and is not authorized as the product is not bought from the manufacturer but from the distributor that is looking to make extra sales, or from the reseller. This is fairly common and when I used to work for a car care company (chemicals) we had issues that would arise. Just because someone is selling something doesn't mean the manufacturer sold it so them and that they are an authorized seller.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #993 of 1,060
There are many products that end up on the grey market. If a company sells to a reseller or distributor, then it is authorized. Otherwise the product is purchased somewhere else and is not authorized as the product is not bought from the manufacturer but from the distributor that is looking to make extra sales, or from the reseller. This is fairly common and when I used to work for a car care company (chemicals) we had issues that would arise. Just because someone is selling something doesn't mean the manufacturer sold it so them and that they are an authorized seller.
Following your discussion I therefore deduce that it is perfectly legal to buy from unauthorized retailers and that all the devices were originally sold by iBasso. When I purchased my DC04PRO I did so from an online store called iBasso.eu and I sincerely hope it is an authorized reseller, having not informed myself beforehand and assuming that a store with this name is one. I bought it there because it wasn't available from the Italian distributor Extrasound and therefore it was the only way to get it at that moment. Now I read here on Head Fi that some have purchased the same DC04PRO on Aliexpress for 79 dollars against the 139 dollars listed. Is it therefore correct to declare that if you want to enjoy the official iBasso guarantee you have to pay double? Don't you think it's a bit exaggerated to pay double its market value for a device to have an official guarantee?

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #994 of 1,060
Following your discussion I therefore deduce that it is perfectly legal to buy from unauthorized retailers and that all the devices were originally sold by iBasso. When I purchased my DC04PRO I did so from an online store called iBasso.eu and I sincerely hope it is an authorized reseller, having not informed myself beforehand and assuming that a store with this name is one. I bought it there because it wasn't available from the Italian distributor Extrasound and therefore it was the only way to get it at that moment. Now I read here on Head Fi that some have purchased the same DC04PRO on Aliexpress for 79 dollars against the 139 dollars listed. Is it therefore correct to declare that if you want to enjoy the official iBasso guarantee you have to pay double? Don't you think it's a bit exaggerated to pay double its market value for a device to have an official guarantee?
Years ago when I sold cameras, Canon, Pentax and Nikon had issues all the time with grey market products. They stated clearly that they were not covered by their warranty. B&H even sold them and said they had their own warranty on them. They were less expensive but often a real hassle if something major came up that needed to be repaired.

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #995 of 1,060
Years ago when I sold cameras, Canon, Pentax and Nikon had issues all the time with grey market products. They stated clearly that they were not covered by their warranty. B&H even sold them and said they had their own warranty on them. They were less expensive but often a real hassle if something major came up that needed to be repaired.
You're right but those were different times... one of the first digital camera from Nikon broke and it was repaired by the company even out of warranty because back then that's how serious companies behaved and they also reimbursed the shipping costs... today I don't know if it would end like this.

Apr 11, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #996 of 1,060
I've had an informatic store 20 years ago and one of my suppliers was buying from black markets as well. Better prices. I worked with them for about 2 years, but everytime a CPU or a motherboard or a graphics card had an issue it was immediatelly replaced by a new one, in a matter of days. I don't know what they did with the damaged products, but truth is that they were not in business for long. lol.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #998 of 1,060
So, I've just ordered the DC06 Pro. My main goald is to get something that outclasses FiiO BTR15. Someone told me that he prefers DC06 Pro over FiiO BTR7, that's why I'm here.
it will probably sound different. depending on the headphones you are using i dont think there is to speak of better or worse tho. you might like it better if it matches your preferrences better (like being brighter or warmer) but it wouldnt mean one is technically better than the other. specially since both devices use the same dac chips in dual config.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #999 of 1,060
it will probably sound different. depending on the headphones you are using i dont think there is to speak of better or worse tho. you might like it better if it matches your preferrences better (like being brighter or warmer) but it wouldnt mean one is technically better than the other. specially since both devices use the same dac chips in dual config.
Hi,

Are you talking about BTR15 or BTR7?

There's also the separated power supply that improves SQ.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #1,000 of 1,060
Hi,

Are you talking about BTR15 or BTR7?

There's also the separated power supply that improves SQ.
your ibasso dc06pro and the fiio btr15. if you are able to hear the difference of the separated power supply in a blind test even in perfect testing conditions and with anything but the most resoving and expensive iem around, ill gift you 1000$. Seriously!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #1,001 of 1,060
your ibasso dc06pro and the fiio btr15. if you are able to hear the difference of the separated power supply in a blind test even in perfect testing conditions and with anything but the most resoving and expensive iem around, ill gift you 1000$. Seriously!
I see, thanks. In that case should BTR7 outclass DC06 Pro?

I'm not much in the audiophile industry now, I produce music and wanted the BTR15 as an audio interface on the go, which I do appreciate, so I',m out of date, but someone told me that DC06 Pro would sound better and I wanted to give it a try, since for music production, the better the DAC sounds, the better and the price was about the same. For sure BTR15 outclasses any low cost audio interface by quite a margin. Even MOTU claims their Sabre 32 Ultra DAC will sound terrific on the M2/M4 models and they sound crappy compared to BTR15. Not to mention Focusrite, M-Audio, etc, entry level interfaces. So these mini DACs are a viable solution for producing on the go due to the excellent sound quality and portability. And reliability due to the evolution of generic low latency ASIO drivers. A bit better DAC that could come closer to my Antelope Audio interface, would be ideal. I don't know what DAc is that without spending the same as my audio interface. But if you ask me if I could produce a song from start to finish with BTR15 only, yes, it's good enough for that challenge. Maybe just polish it later on with a decent audio interface and studio monitors, since the Antelope Audio interfaces will sound noticeably better than BTR15 and you can't rely on headphones only.

For the DAC on the go I'm using a 1000€ IEM, that is as neutral as a studio monitor and as revealing as my ADAM A7X monitors, which eases things up for me. Beyerdynamic Xelento that I highly recommend to ANY music producer at any level. It's a pair of 1500€ monitors in your ears. No room treatment needed. :D Just headphone calibration and Realphones Ultimate: https://www.dsoniq.com/realphones to check your mixing in different environments and you're all set.

As a professional Ghost Producer that sells music for various clients, musicians and not musicians (TV, film, etc), a quality production is mandatory. Being able to take final mixing decisions while traveling, is a great time saver. Time is my biggest challenge. I no longer run out of time since I began producing on the go and these portable DACs, with this sound quality are a bless. Two of the most important characteristics are mids (vocals) and timbre and BTR15 does a great job on that. The wide soundstage and imaging also help simutaling a studio environement, with Near Field Monitors, especially while using Realphones inside Studio 21A and others, that will emulate just that.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #1,002 of 1,060
I see, thanks. In that case should BTR7 outclass DC06 Pro?

I'm not much in the audiophile industry now, I produce music and wanted the BTR15 as an audio interface on the go, which I do appreciate, so I',m out of date, but someone told me that DC06 Pro would sound better and I wanted to give it a try, since for music production, the better the DAC sounds, the better and the price was about the same. For sure BTR15 outclasses any low cost audio interface by quite a margin. Even MOTU claims their Sabre 32 Ultra DAC will sound terrific on the M2/M4 models and they sound crappy compared to BTR15. Not to mention Focusrite, M-Audio, etc, entry level interfaces. So these mini DACs are a viable solution for producing on the go due to the excellent sound quality and portability. And reliability due to the evolution of generic low latency ASIO drivers. A bit better DAC that could come closer to my Antelope Audio interface, would be ideal. I don't know what DAc is that without spending the same as my audio interface. But if you ask me if I could produce a song from start to finish with BTR15 only, yes, it's good enough for that challenge. Maybe just polish it later on with a decent audio interface and studio monitors, since the Antelope Audio interfaces will sound noticeably better than BTR15 and you can't rely on headphones only.

For the DAC on the go I'm using a 1000€ IEM, that is as neutral as a studio monitor and as revealing as my ADAM A7X monitors, which eases things up for me. Beyerdynamic Xelento that I highly recommend to ANY music producer at any level. It's a pair of 1500€ monitors in your ears. No room treatment needed. :D Just headphone calibration and Realphones Ultimate: https://www.dsoniq.com/realphones to check your mixing in different environments and you're all set.

As a professional Ghost Producer that sells music for various clients, musicians and not musicians (TV, film, etc), a quality production is mandatory. Being able to take final mixing decisions while traveling, is a great time saver. Time is my biggest challenge. I no longer run out of time since I began producing on the go and these portable DACs, with this sound quality are a bless. Two of the most important characteristics are mids (vocals) and timbre and BTR15 does a great job on that. The wide soundstage and imaging also help simutaling a studio environement, with Near Field Monitors, especially while using Realphones inside Studio 21A and others, that will emulate just that.
i dont think there is any dac amp that outclasses the other in a similar price range. the btr7 might have slightly more punch because of the thx amps but those are also known for not providing the best in soundstage depth. if anything those devices might ever so slightly sound different to one another, if someone calls it better it might match his preferences better.
finally it depends to 90% at least on the headphones/iem. I dont know the adam but owned the Xelento and still own the A&K tuned version the T8IE MK2. They arent neutral at all. They have a strong U-shaped frequency response, so for producing i cannot imagine using them. but each to his own.
what i learned in all these years is that musicans, producers and audiophiles all have very different preferences and priorities.
yes the btr15 mimics a slightly wider soundstage in width but hasnt much depth to offer at least to my ears. it also depends on the filters you are using. my Shanling UP4 22 with the fast roll off filter on has a much deeper soundstage for example. I am owning both devices myself so could excessivly compare. if you would call it better tho is another thing.
use the btr15 and call it a day, if you like it. if you dont need bt and want to upgrade at one point you could look into something like a chord mojo2 or even better a hugo. with such devices u would instantly hear much more natural and resolving sound even with cheaper headphones. if you would like it tho will again depend on your preferences.
Keep in mind that the technologies did very large steps in the last years and most devices and chips already very much succeeded the resolution of the human hearing. so most you might read or even hear yourself is based on psychoacoustics. there are some very interesting scientific articles to find on the net regarding this. even the colour of a device can preadjust your brain of what kind of sound you expect and eventually hear. Marketing is making heavy use of these psychological findings.
And than there are still a lot of people "hearing" differences in cables. which no one ever was able to even measure except if the caple has another impedance than the other. So hifi for the most part is about believing and justifying your expenses to yourself by shady arguments, which is perfectly fine, as it can still be fun. i dont exclude myself from beeing fooled. Finally it might be one of the most subjective topics regarding senses. Human hearing memory is the worst we have. within the seconds of changing from one device to another we already forgot what exactly we thought we heard. Just because in evolution we didnt have the need to memorize fine details in sounds. we needed to differenciate one enemy from another but not by hearing nuances in their foot steps.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #1,003 of 1,060
i dont think there is any dac amp that outclasses the other in a similar price range. the btr7 might have slightly more punch because of the thx amps but those are also known for not providing the best in soundstage depth. if anything those devices might ever so slightly sound different to one another, if someone calls it better it might match his preferences better.
finally it depends to 90% at least on the headphones/iem. I dont know the adam but owned the Xelento and still own the A&K tuned version the T8IE MK2. They arent neutral at all. They have a strong U-shaped frequency response, so for producing i cannot imagine using them. but each to his own.
what i learned in all these years is that musicans, producers and audiophiles all have very different preferences and priorities.
yes the btr15 mimics a slightly wider soundstage in width but hasnt much depth to offer at least to my ears. it also depends on the filters you are using. my Shanling UP4 22 with the fast roll off filter on has a much deeper soundstage for example. I am owning both devices myself so could excessivly compare. if you would call it better tho is another thing.
use the btr15 and call it a day, if you like it. if you dont need bt and want to upgrade at one point you could look into something like a chord mojo2 or even better a hugo. with such devices u would instantly hear much more natural and resolving sound even with cheaper headphones. if you would like it tho will again depend on your preferences.
Keep in mind that the technologies did very large steps in the last years and most devices and chips already very much succeeded the resolution of the human hearing. so most you might read or even hear yourself is based on psychoacoustics. there are some very interesting scientific articles to find on the net regarding this. even the colour of a device can preadjust your brain of what kind of sound you expect and eventually hear. Marketing is making heavy use of these psychological findings.
And than there are still a lot of people "hearing" differences in cables. which no one ever was able to even measure except if the caple has another impedance than the other. So hifi for the most part is about believing and justifying your expenses to yourself by shady arguments, which is perfectly fine, as it can still be fun. i dont exclude myself from beeing fooled. Finally it might be one of the most subjective topics regarding senses. Human hearing memory is the worst we have. within the seconds of changing from one device to another we already forgot what exactly we thought we heard. Just because in evolution we didnt have the need to memorize fine details in sounds. we needed to differenciate one enemy from another but not by hearing nuances in their foot steps.
I've had a Hugo 2 several years ago and it sounds as good as any Antelope Audio interface. They're pretty much on par. But I need something smaller and can't spend $2000+ on a DAC at the moment. I could but prefer not to. What I do on the go is mainly mixing. Mojo 2 could be a great solution, I was considering it before I decided to try BTR15 out. I liked it. Not perfect, not high-end sound, but good enough for producing in some situations.

I don't consider Xelento's U shaped. Bass is neutral, not north or south of neutral. Vocals are close to you, upfront and highs are not too elevated as well, The sound is balanced, neutral from top to bottom. I use ADAM A7x Studio Monitros, these are high-end studio speakers and I'm yet to find another IEM that sounds so close to them as the Xelentos. So yes, for me Xelentos are perfectly suitable for studio monitoring, not to mention that they sound much better than any full size 300€-500€ studio headphone. Even Steven Slate's don't sound this good and they stil offer very good results with their virtual studios emulation software. Notice that all those headphones are tuned for Studio, they sound as neutral as a Studio Monitor (speakers).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #1,004 of 1,060
I've had a Hugo 2 several years ago and it sounds as good as any Antelope Audio interface. They're pretty much on par. But I need something smaller and can't spend $2000+ on a DAC at the moment. I could but prefer not to. What I do on the go is mainly mixing. Mojo 2 could be a great solution, I was considering it before I decided to try BTR15 out. I liked it. Not perfect, not high-end sound, but good enough for producing in some situations.

I don't consider Xelento's U shaped. Bass is neutral, not north or south of neutral. Vocals are close to you, upfront and highs are not too elevated as well, The sound is balanced, neutral from top to bottom. I use ADAM A7x Studio Monitros, these are high-end studio speakers and I'm yet to find another IEM that sounds so close to them as the Xelentos. So yes, for me Xelentos are perfectly suitable for studio monitoring, not to mention that they sound much better than any full size 300€-500€ studio headphone. Even Steven Slate's don't sound this good and they stil offer very good results with their virtual studios emulation software. Notice that all those headphones are tuned for Studio, they sound as neutral as a Studio Monitor (speakers).
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/10168329.jpg

IMG_0441.JPG

using the xelentos for mixing will end up in more then 10db loss on the low end of the spectrum when hearing with relatively neutral headphones and overpowered bass when listening with your typical bass boosted consumer headphones. but i am not a producer, maybe others could comment to this.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #1,005 of 1,060

I have the Xelento and they are very V-shaped. To me they have very elevated bass and bright/sharp threbles. Mids on the other hand are pushed back. Comparing them with a neutral set like the Monarch 2 or even Twilight, they arent neutral at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back