The Holy Grail of True Sound Stage (Cross-Feed: The Next-Generation)
Sep 14, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #31 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Evilking, the processed file sounds pretty terrible: muddy, recessed mids and sibilant, partially clipping treble.

I made a Delta file of the original and processed version, showing the differences (missing frequencies) between both files... the result is pretty scary: Nessun Dorma DELTA

This Delta file doesn't sound bad at all, to my ears it actually sounds better than the processed file itself. It shows what an extreme amount of information is lost with this processing.

BTW, for some subtle (i.e. the opposite of this "Dolby 5.1" audio massacre) and very precise (64bit internal) crossfeed based on the Haas Effect I like Refined Audiometrics HDPHX VST.

I trust your opinion, thanks for saving me the trouble \o_

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #32 of 80
Hey dfkt,

How can I tell if that Audiometrics HDPHX is working in foobar? I think I hear subtle changes but I'm not sure. I am using the VST plugin mentioned in this thread pointed to the hdphx dll.

And if i resample using SRC, which should come first?

Thanks.

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #33 of 80
Blubliss, I can't say if/how it works in Foobar, I use Winamp with a VST wrapper/chainer. Did you try if other VST plugins work with your Foobar?

The effect depends highly on the audio material played - you will hear it easier if you play some old records with extreme left/right panning, like most 1960ies Jazz records. For records with relatively well mastered stereo positioning, HDPHX leaves the material mostly as it is.

HDPHX should always be the last plugin in a chain, there should be no more processing after the crossfeed.

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #35 of 80
Just wanna thank you guys for all your inputs so far. It's sure been interesting! I've been playin around with and comparing Bauer, VST wrapper pointing to VI suite, and VST pointin to HDPHX for the past few days. This is my conclusion so far:

Test track: Live - dance with me (especially the beginning segment)
equipment: audigy hd2=>LD MKV=>HD-650
software: foobar2k. No other DSPs were enabled besides these crossfeed ones.

VST=>VI: i just can't get used to that boxed in feeling!! furthermore, detail disappears and singer's voice becomes distorted. Can you imagine listening to Sarah Brightman singing as if she has a bad case of sinnusitis?! I have to say though the depth of the soundstage (ie extension in the direction right in front of your face) is improved. If I switch off this crossfeed immediately it sounds as if every single member in the band all of a sudden lined up in front of me and started playin... quite weird indeed!

VST=>HDPHX: So far i prefer this the most out of all 3 crossfeeds. It seems to maintain the level of detail as well as the characteristics of the artist's voice while still gettin rid of the 2 blob feelin on tracks that pan left to right extensively. However, the soundstage isn't as deep as VST wrappin VI. Moreover, bass becomes slightly exaggerated...

Bauer: Quite similar to HDPHX but seems to negate the trippy panning effect a bit too much. Still not quite sure whether this is a result of a greater collapse of soundstage or not (soundstage... headstage.. blah... i can't remember how they differ.. it's 3am... gimme a break!! ^_^ )

just my 2 cents....

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #37 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by satshanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please bear with me and forgive my language as English is not native for me.

You have an extraordinary command of the English language. You're obviously extremely bright! Thanks for sharing your experiences here.

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #38 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have an extraordinary command of the English language. You're obviously extremely bright! Thanks for sharing your experiences here.

I don't know about the bright part. Us Dutchies (from Holland AKA the Netherlands that is, not to be confused with Deutschland AKA Germany) have a reputation for speaking foreign languages. After all we are typically taught English, German and French at school, besides our native Dutch). I've travelled a lot as well though, and have read a huge amount of science fiction and fantasy. Anyway, thanks for the compliment, but now back to the topic:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Evilking, the processed file sounds pretty terrible: muddy, recessed mids and sibilant, partially clipping treble. I made a Delta file of the original and processed version, showing the differences (missing frequencies) between both files... the result is pretty scary. This Delta file doesn't sound bad at all, to my ears it actually sounds better than the processed file itself. It shows what an extreme amount of information is lost with this processing. BTW, for some subtle (i.e. the opposite of this "Dolby 5.1" audio massacre) and very precise (64bit internal) crossfeed based on the Haas Effect I like Refined Audiometrics HDPHX VST.

I acknowledge your impressions of the VI/DHW set-up, because everyone's entitled to his own opinion, and everyone's got different ears and brains. And I'm grateful for your sharing of the HDPHX VST. I've listened to it and I like it a lot. It's indeed very detailed and high quality. I compared it to BS2B and it did sound better to my ears.

However, your delta file doesn't say anything about the loss of detail. There are bound to be huge differences between the files, because the music is slightly shifted in phase and delayed in time. Your delta file did not measure the frequencies that were lost, merely the ones that were moved up the timeline.

And even though I liked HDPHX, I still prefer my VI/DHW setup by a wide margin, and I still don't feel at all disturbed by the slight loss of detail I might experience. It's all about what you expect to hear and what you're used to. For me it's a bit like the difference between a studio and a live album. With some artists I prefer the detail and finesse of a studio recording, but with some I absolutely prefer their live albums. Usually there's less detail, but a lot more atmosphere and aliveness.

And I must repeat my opinion of A-B testing. At the switchover the focus is always on what's missing. That's just the way our brain works. It's like sleeping in a hotel bed. It might be a better bed for you once you get used to it, but you still have trouble sleeping that first night, because your body and mind are still "programmed" to your own bed. So while testing this, please take some time to get used to it. You may never want to get back to your old bed.
darthsmile.gif

Now here are some practical tips on how to tweak the sound to make it fit better with some people's hearing:
L3000.gif

too much bass: switch off the LFE button (I myself now feel more inclined to leave this off. It makes the bass a little less present, but more defined and textured)

sound too muddy/diffused/cave-like: Move the 2 middle sliders more to the left, either all the way to completely remove the subtle room reverbs, or my suggestion, at the same setting as the top and bottom slider at -4

The new, more direct, and (possibly) improved settings would look like this:

Attachment 8339

Take it or leave it.
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #39 of 80
I had an idea that upsampling does better for crossfeeding, but I did a mistake in my testing, so I delete my original post. As of now it looks to me there is no improvement with crossfeeding when upsampling.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #40 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by satshanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about the bright part. Us Dutchies (from Holland AKA the Netherlands that is, not to be confused with Deutschland AKA Germany) have a reputation for speaking foreign languages. After all we are typically taught English, German and French at school, besides our native Dutch). I've travelled a lot as well though, and have read a huge amount of science fiction and fantasy. Anyway, thanks for the compliment, but now back to the topic:

You can thank us Brits for dominating most of the world in the last century for that.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #41 of 80
I'm trying out the HDPHX plugin. Was wondering, I'm upsampling using SSRC for my DAC.. should I have this first or last in the chain using foobar??

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #42 of 80
Just a quick update: Chungalin has since passed on the Dolby Headphone Wrapper DSP to Yirkha. As far as I know, Yirkha only worked on it for a couple of days, but fixed many issues (including one that prevented me from using Chungalin's build). The latest version is 1.3.1, and you'll find the files here. The files found on foobar 3rd party site are outdated (still Chungalin).

It's not perfect, but wow is this amazing. This is the second time I've ever heard a soundstage that extended past my head, and all I needed was my SR80! The first time it took thousands of dollars in Stax gear and it only reached out a few feet.

Also, I heard from a friend that the Virtual Barbershop was a Stax sound demo they used to include with their headphones, along with several other binaural recordings.

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #44 of 80
Nope ! This thread isn't over yet...It would be too easy...

I'd like to experience the Dark Side of the Moon DVD-A in 3D with headphones. I'd like to use the HiRez track, instead of the DD or DTS tracks. Is there a way to play this track with a good and free DX or VST plugin?

The only way I know would be with WinDVD or PowerDVD and their surround sound options. But then, I don't know how it would compare to what we're talking about in this thread. Better or worse, I'd like to know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back