The Holy Grail of True Sound Stage (Cross-Feed: The Next-Generation)
Sep 8, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #17 of 80
Thank you for sharing satshanti. Very enjoyable read. I have been listening quite a lot to binaural recordings lately, and some almost freaks me out on how real they are.
I am going to play with this as soon as I hook my gear up to the computer again.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I have been listening quite a lot to binaural recordings lately...

What's a good place to buy these, and do you have some specific recordings we should try?

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #20 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by satshanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just came back from work. Thank you all for your compliments and feedback. I don't have much time right now, so just some brief reactions:

...As for the head tracking, isn't that only relevant if you move your head while listening? Of course, it adds to the illusion of simulating a speaker system, and is an essential aspect for audio-visual applications, like computer gaming and home theatre, but.. in my opinion, it's not that important for plain stereo music listening. When I listen to music I might bob my head occasionally (up and down that is (YES), left and right (NOT)
biggrin.gif
) but most of the time I sit like my avatar with my eyes closed in a state of peaceful bliss!

Indeed I only use the beyer head-tracker system for movies, and especially concert videos. But I will use the Smyth, or maybe a new beyer unit, for 2-channel audio. You move your head more than you think -- slight movements are needed for spatial cues, that's how the brain works. Without head tracking, virtual surround sound will indeed appear outside your head, in the room, but usually dead center and above the forehead. And when you turn your head, it just sound unnatural. That's my experience anyway, although I have not tried your soluton, I have tried many of the virtual surround sound systems in the market.

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by audible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this compatible with ASIO? (Forgive my ignorance, I'm not too savvy with this sort of stuff)

Yes, it is. The original digital data is first processed by the DSP chain and then delivered to the computer's output in whatever way that's set up for you, so in your case that would be ASIO output.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You move your head more than you think -- slight movements are needed for spatial cues, that's how the brain works. Without head tracking, virtual surround sound will indeed appear outside your head, in the room, but usually dead center and above the forehead. And when you turn your head, it just sound unnatural. That's my experience anyway, although I have not tried your soluton, I have tried many of the virtual surround sound systems in the market.

Well, I agree with the fact that if you would move your head, even a little as you say, and the sound would remain in its proper virtual place just like with speakers, that would indeed reinforce the illusion. However, I disagree that the head tracking is an essential ingredient to spatial perception and that without it, the image would be created dead centre above the forehead. If that would be true, how do you explain the Virtual Barbershop, and all other binaural recordings for that matter. The spatial cues in those are rock solid. Of course to maintain the illusion, you will have to keep your head still, but there's really no need to get neck cramps because of it.

Another thing that occurred to me: The way I understand it, the Smyth system aims to simulate how a speaker system is perceived within a certain room. So, a red book stereo signal will sound just as if you're listening to a pair of speakers. The end result will have a sound stage determined by the quality of the speakers used and the acoustic room signature and it will be displayed in front of you.

The set-up in my OP does something altogether different, and I'm not saying better here, just different. The Dolby Headphone wrapper just translates a 6-channel surround signal into a binaural 2-channel track, so if you would feed it just the front left and right channel, it would create an image similar to the Smyth system, although for sure not as clean and sharply defined, because of the inherent limitations of general HRTF compared to ear-customized HRTF. What comes before it however, and as far as I can gather this is not part of either the Beyer or the Smyth system, is the VI suite that creates a 6-channel surround track out of a 2-channel stereo track. If using VI's settings creatively (and of course this is as ever a matter of personal taste), the original stereo signal is "wrapped around" you in a 360 degree panorama that's totally different from the illusion of 2 speakers within a room. Depending on how a piece of music is recorded, sounds can be placed anywhere around you. This can in fact be somewhat strange and unusual, and I even agree that for some recordings it doesn't translate well, in fact, mostly with the ones that have quasi-binaural parts to it. But the realism that's created by VI's use of second-order ambisonics is amazing. So what about those details that go MIA?
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's always been the issue with DSPs and crossfeed circuits, details tend to vanish and it can become quite distracting when you know what should be there. Still, they are interesting things to experiment with.

It's not that I disagree with some of you, who say that the sound becomes less detailed. It does, also to my ears, but I don't seem to mind that much. Now why's that? I'm not sure anyone's interested in this, but over the years, meeting a lot of different hi-fi enthusiasts in my job as a salesman, I have developed a theory. Do you know those personality tests that classify people into 3 types in the way we relate to the world around us: visual, auditory and feeling. I have noticed a similar division in hi-fi listeners.

Imagine the perfect sound reproduction system. Whatever is played through it, is 100% the same as what's been put in. Of course no such system is ever made, but there are set-ups that come very close, let's say 95%. Anybody (not born tone-deaf that is
biggrin.gif
)will be able to appreciate that kind of realism, right? Now, let's take an average hi-fi system based on loudspeakers and say it is able to perform at 80% realism. What makes one person buy system A and another a totally different sounding system B although both are 80% realistic?

I think it's caused by the various aspects of realism that people are sensitive to in different degrees. I see it as two main categories of listeners. On the one hand you have people like me who focus on sound stage and timing, and on the other you have people who seem to focus more on accuracy and detail in the sound spectrum and resonant harmonics. I guess as one evolves as a hi-fi listener, one starts to want it all, but if we can't have it all, we tend to choose the set-up that has its missing 20% realism in areas we are not that sensitive to.

So I can absolutely understand if someone feels that using these DSP's is making the sound worse. It's not actually making it worse, and I disagree with the statement that this would be a "low-fi" solution. It's just that certain quality aspects of listening are "re-shuffled", so the sound is a little (for me!) less accurate, but a whole lot more spacious.

Fair enough? Wow, another lengthy post it seems. So be it!

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #22 of 80
Just tried the VST/DHW combo and honestly, it sounds pretty awful.

There is a rather strong 'cave' effect, voices are smoothed/diffused, and somehow every instrument has become wholly unnatural. Very strange and rather fatiguing...

EK

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #23 of 80
How to set it up? ..i felt totally lost on the website

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #27 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just tried the VST/DHW combo and honestly, it sounds pretty awful. There is a rather strong 'cave' effect, voices are smoothed/diffused, and somehow every instrument has become wholly unnatural. Very strange and rather fatiguing...

It's interesting to note that your impressions are so different from mine. I'm just trying to understand this world of difference and what could be the cause of it. I came up with one or more of the following reasons:

1. I'm not sure if these DSP's work at higher bit depths and sample rates. I leave my music at the 16bit/44.1Khz setting for my NOS DAC. Once I tried oversampling and the sound stage just collapsed into a very weird sound indeed.

2. We are at the two opposite extremes of the listening-type category I mentioned in my previous post.

3. Your set-up is of a much higher quality than mine, which would account for the fact that the loss of detail doesn't bother me that much as there's not that much to begin with. Still, I would not consider my set-up low-fi, more like average or above average, so although these DSP's might be a step back for some of you with Stax headphones or balanced HD650's, I think that for the majority of this forum's visitors, they will improve their listening experience, at least somewhat, at the most tremendously.

4. This does take time to get used to. I suggest not switching back and forth too quickly, but giving the set-up some time to "psychologically burn-in", so the brain will get used to the new "gestalt". As I suggested in my first post, once the brain is re-programmed for headphone listening, any form of pre-processing will inevitably sound "unnatural" and overdone, because the brain cannot switch off its own processing that fast.

The previous poster suggested some examples. As I'm almost sure it's illegal to make available full-size pieces of music, I have created 30 second excerpts, which I hope is OK. As I mention at point 4, it doesn't make much sense to compare them A to B.

This is another phenomenon I noticed being a hifi-salesman, when you do A-B testing and switch back and forth too rapidly, all you hear is that which is missing when comparing one with the other, so it's a negative contrast experience. When, on the other hand, you take some time to get used to one option and let it work on you a bit, you start experiencing the positive aspects of it.

So I suggest you take the time to set it up properly in Foobar and take your time to test the DSP's. For the impatient ones and the MAC owners, here are some pre-processed FLAC's that demonstrate the effect:

Paul Potts: excerpt Nessun Dorma Original VI/DHW

Supertramp: excerpt The Logical Song Original VI/DHW

Note that the processed files are smaller than the original ones, which seems to confirm that some amount of detail is lost in the process.
angry_face.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #28 of 80
Nice read and I’m going to give it a try once I get a little time to test, thanks … the title reads like the opening line of the ue11 review I wrote on 21st of June, 08 here
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ue11 Review
June 21, 2008
Written by Ramon GL

Do you have a holy grail? ... ...

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 80
I think this just goes back to the fundamental issues with headphones. For some people the extreme channel separation is really bothersome, for others it is not. Fortunately its something that has never bothered me, even with extended listening sessions (the crossfeed stuff that I've used makes things sound worse to me). If it works for you, then great, if not then that's fine as well.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #30 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by satshanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paul Potts: excerpt Nessun Dorma Original VI/DHW

Note that the processed files are smaller than the original ones, which seems to confirm that some amount of detail is lost in the process.
angry_face.gif

I agree with Evilking, the processed file sounds pretty terrible: muddy, recessed mids and sibilant, partially clipping treble.

I made a Delta file of the original and processed version, showing the differences (missing frequencies) between both files... the result is pretty scary: Nessun Dorma DELTA

This Delta file doesn't sound bad at all, to my ears it actually sounds better than the processed file itself. It shows what an extreme amount of information is lost with this processing.

BTW, for some subtle (i.e. the opposite of this "Dolby 5.1" audio massacre) and very precise (64bit internal) crossfeed based on the Haas Effect I like Refined Audiometrics HDPHX VST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back