The Hifiman RE2000 - a high end dynamic IEM
Dec 24, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #451 of 627
i didn't yet find a comfortable spot, neither straight or around the ear. But i have sensitive ears. The tips are useless, they either fit but leak to much sound, or don't fit at all, leak and the sound doesn't correctly reach inside the canal. Luckily, tips of other iems fit very all and isolate well enough but the body of each bud is a bit bulky, i feel some pressure.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #452 of 627
Yes there is an improvement or more accurately a difference with aftermarket cables vs stock on the Silver. Whether or not that difference is perceived as significant or an improvement is highly subjective and will vary with the listener. The stock cable performs very well though.

As stated in my prevous post I got very good results with the Plussound cable, but even better results recently (more natural midrange and treble) with the Penon Audio GD849. I thought the GD849 would be too thick to work comfortably with the RE2000, but was pleasantly surprised to find out that was not the case.

The impact of balanced versus single ended will likely depend on the DAP. On the QP2R there is an improvement.

The previous post by @Dobrescu George and @twister6 on his website both do a great job comparing the Silver to the original Gold. Summary: Silver is more comfortable, better balanced and closer to a neutral signature. A much better buy and a steal at the special price IMO.

Thank you for your kind words :)

i didn't yet find a comfortable spot, neither straight or around the ear. But i have sensitive ears. The tips are useless, they either fit but leak to much sound, or don't fit at all, leak and the sound doesn't correctly reach inside the canal. Luckily, tips of other iems fit very all and isolate well enough but the body of each bud is a bit bulky, i feel some pressure.

I agree, the stock tips are not really working out for me quite that well, so I use Spinfit tips.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #453 of 627
So far i find these iems a bit picky. They sound good, not great, with LG V20. But when plugged into an old sansa clip dap, they sound very well, maybe not necessarily better, but for such a small and old piece of tech, the output is great. I don't get it. Re2000 have 60ohms, yet Lg V20 is not able to drive them very well. The volume seems lower and the quality is not what i expected. Maybe it's some weird lack of matching issue. The Audeze Lcd2f don't have this problem, the volume is more than enough and quality is great with Lg V20.
To have a complete idea, i still need to find good eartips though.
So which portables best feed your iems?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #454 of 627
So far i find these iems a bit picky. They sound good, not great, with LG V20. But when plugged into an old sansa clip dap, they sound very well, maybe not necessarily better, but for such a small and old piece of tech, the output is great. I don't get it. Re2000 have 60ohms, yet Lg V20 is not able to drive them very well. The volume seems lower and the quality is not what i expected. Maybe it's some weird lack of matching issue. The Audeze Lcd2f don't have this problem, the volume is more than enough and quality is great with Lg V20.

LG has some trouble with output on low-ish impedance headphones. The RE2000 are harder to drive than most IEMs. I suspect it doesn't really feed enough power to them, as it sticks to the lowest gain mode meant for easier to drive IEMs and earbuds.

I found something similar with the V40. The Re2000. It sounds better out of my ES100 - a littlle marvel - even in Bluetooth mode.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #455 of 627
I use uapp so android and Lg software is bypassed. I increased a bit the gain and i have enough power but still...
There should be a good match with Chord Mojo, there is one post here saying this. Has anyone else tried this combo?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #456 of 627

LG V series is not ideal in my book, for RE2000.

I use uapp so android and Lg software is bypassed. I increased a bit the gain and i have enough power but still...
There should be a good match with Chord Mojo, there is one post here saying this. Has anyone else tried this combo?

I tried Mojo with RE2000, I am not sure what to say about the combo, RE2000 isn't focused on a huge soundstage, and neither is Mojo, so if you prefer a more intimate soundstage, the combo can work fairly well, but if you're looking to extend their soundstage, I'd suggest looking into iFi xDSD.

Mojo makes an excellent DAC for xCan, but I'm not sure if you were looking for a more complex setup :)

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #457 of 627
I would like to have something as simple as possible. Ideally a smartphone and some light headphones. But it is hard to find an all-in-one solution. Maybe V40 which is not yet available in Ro and i think it has the same or similar dac anyway.
So far, V20 does a good job with RE2000, i found eartips that fit, isolate and produce great sound. I switched from wearing them straight to having cables behind the ear. The music is now powerfull and rich. Before doing all this, they leaked in and out and the earbuds didn't stay put.
So Hifiman should really think about ergonomics and provide better tips for such a high priced item.
As for Mojo, people on headfi say it has a wide soundstage, i didn't decide yet, i found one used for a good price in my city but i am thinking of a fiio x7ii or other android based dap. Not sure if there is any better than the Mojo.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #458 of 627
I would like to have something as simple as possible. Ideally a smartphone and some light headphones. But it is hard to find an all-in-one solution. Maybe V40 which is not yet available in Ro and i think it has the same or similar dac anyway.
So far, V20 does a good job with RE2000, i found eartips that fit, isolate and produce great sound. I switched from wearing them straight to having cables behind the ear. The music is now powerfull and rich. Before doing all this, they leaked in and out and the earbuds didn't stay put.
So Hifiman should really think about ergonomics and provide better tips for such a high priced item.
As for Mojo, people on headfi say it has a wide soundstage, i didn't decide yet, i found one used for a good price in my city but i am thinking of a fiio x7ii or other android based dap. Not sure if there is any better than the Mojo.

I'd recommend the Radsone ES100. In Bluetooth mode it already drives the RE2000 better than the V40 does wired, but you can use it in USB mode too. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference. It's my all-time favorite audio purchase that isn't a headphone. I think it drives IEMs as good as or better than my iDSD Micro BL.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #459 of 627
Cool device. But it has some limits. Most important, bit depth and sample rate. I have hifi tidal subscription and stream it via uapp so i imagine mqa tracks will be downsampled. I know human ear has some limits and higher values might not be perceived but i have to consider possible technical issues too.

Dec 29, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #460 of 627
Cool device. But it has some limits. Most important, bit depth and sample rate. I have hifi tidal subscription and stream it via uapp so i imagine mqa tracks will be downsampled. I know human ear has some limits and higher values might not be perceived but i have to consider possible technical issues too.

Sure, I get that. I use Tidal Hi-Fi too, but I believe the ES100 + RE2000 over Bluetooth LDAC is better than the LGV40 wired when streaming lossless or MQA. I'm pretty sensitive to the difference between lossless and lossy as well as sample/bit-depth, but the source output is still more important, and the ES100 just drives the RE2000 better than almost anything. I like it better than the Astell and Kern Norma SR15 as well.

Not to mention a solid features like a 10 band EQ(maybe parametric down the road) and consistent, useful updates from Radsone.

For $100 or less used (though I don't know the price in Romania), don't think you can go wrong.

This isn't to knock the LG, by the way. It's a super clean output that can drive most headphones well. But because LG doesn't activate a high gain mode with the RE2000, I think it sounds a bit less dynamic than it should.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #461 of 627
It is not sold in Ro, i think there is someone selling it but the website is down. Anyway, since uapp bypasses Lg and android software, it is able to add its own gain. It is not necessary though, after those tweaks i mentioned the sound is vastly improved but i feel that V20 is now below the max potential of these iems.

Dec 30, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #462 of 627
Some updates. As mentioned, uapp directly accesses the dac and has its own gain slider in equalizer. But after weeks if not months without rebooting, V20 started to missbehave and sometimes run slow, the volume sliders weren't fully displayed, only 20%. From time to time it entered in a low gain mode, very low, the sound was poor in uapp. Memory leaks and other software issues i guess. This is why i was surprised to find old sansa clip doing a very good job compared to V20 expectations.
I rebooted the phone and now everything is back to normal including the sound quality, it is great as expected. So i was a bit misled by this situation, nevertheless, i still need to find best eartips, with mine, not the ones included in the package, i have ~90% satisfaction. And a portable dap or dac to fully use these iems.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #463 of 627

I have Mojo, but it does not have a wide, but a more closed soundstage, more intimate. X7mkii with AMP3 should be wider in soundstage :)

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #464 of 627
I think RE2000 Silver works well with NextDrive SpectraX :)

Dws4BwwXcAEjgWy.jpg:large

Users who are viewing this thread

Back