The Hifiman RE2000 - a high end dynamic IEM
Jul 16, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #181 of 627
I add 2-3 dB of treble, usually last slider, to suit my listening habits.

Since you like / use HD800S, it is interesting to hear that you would drop the treble instead of increasing it.

Also, great review, Paul!

sorry did read the post well.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #182 of 627
Thanks George. The HD800S isn't a treble heavy headphone though. I think thats why I love it compared to the original HD800. Bass has a little more mid-bass hump (to me it sounds more natural that way), and the infamous treble peaks in the 5-6kHz range are gone.

Taking the RE2000 down a notch actually reminds me a lot of the HD800S signature. Detail without the glare :)

Thank you for your explanation!

This makes sense considering that I also like HD800S more than HD800!

I hope you'll continue having lots of fun with RE-2000 in there and I hope that everyone who'll hear it in the little your you're holding there will have lots of fun with them! :gs1000smile:

I'm still behind schedule with writing a review myself since I had a few health problems, but I will be getting to it soon!

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #184 of 627
Lol - can you imagine ever getting two drivers that closely matched :)

Generally though the RE2000s actual driver matching (1st graph) is really excellent. I'm looking forward to reading some more reviews and seeing what other's impressions are. I'll also be starting on the RE800 soon - and TBH I'm not overly impressed with it - especially in comparison to competition around the same price.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #185 of 627

Generally though the RE2000s actual driver matching (1st graph) is really excellent. I'm looking forward to reading some more reviews and seeing what other's impressions are. I'll also be starting on the RE800 soon - and TBH I'm not overly impressed with it - especially in comparison to competition around the same price.

lol totally misread the graph description d'oh

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #186 of 627
I wanted to thank Brooko for posting the audio frequency response graphs here of the latest HiFiMan iem earphones, particularly the one for the HiFiMan Re-800, which is near to my perfect ideal sound signature. It helped me in my decision to purchase the Re-800.

Although, I'm curious Brooko of your impressions of the Re-800, as I really like mine, all except that I'd like for their to be a bit lighter bass and a bit more forward mid on the vocals. I was using a Zorloo Zuperdac for it, which I read adds +4ohm to iems, and makes the sound more bassy. Even the Fiio you used I read can add a bit of an extra bassy signature.

So, I'm hoping when I get the Meridian Explorer2 on Wednesday, it will help reverse things slightly between the bass and vocals. From what I've read online so far, it seems the Meridian Explorer2 is mostly neutral on the bass and makes the vocals slightly more forward with a bit of extra treble. This may make the Re-800 perfect for me. I'll post my impressions of it in the Re-800 thread, and I may write a review of my own for it.

Anyways, I recently had a designer create an audio frequency response graph showing my perfect ideal sound signature. I'll try posting it here to give an impression of my preferences for audio sound :

iemearphone-audio-frequency-response.png

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #187 of 627
No problems :) If that truly is your ideal frequency response, I'd suggest looking at the Fidue A91 Sirius. it doesn't have quite the upper treble you want, but fits the bill everywhere else.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #188 of 627
No problems :) If that truly is your ideal frequency response, I'd suggest looking at the Fidue A91 Sirius. it doesn't have quite the upper treble you want, but fits the bill everywhere else.

Interesting you mentioned the Sirius. I've seen that too, and its pretty close. My concern though is the balanced armature driver issue I wrote about just a moment ago in the HiFiMan Re-800 thread, which is the lack of fullness in the emotional tone, compared with dynamic driver - based iem earphones. Still, the Sirius looks great, and if they could duplicate or get close to that on a dynamic driver - only, or any manufacturer for that matter, I'd definitely be interested!

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #189 of 627
I wanted to thank Brooko for posting the audio frequency response graphs here of the latest HiFiMan iem earphones, particularly the one for the HiFiMan Re-800, which is near to my perfect ideal sound signature. It helped me in my decision to purchase the Re-800.

Although, I'm curious Brooko of your impressions of the Re-800, as I really like mine, all except that I'd like for their to be a bit lighter bass and a bit more forward mid on the vocals. I was using a Zorloo Zuperdac for it, which I read adds +4ohm to iems, and makes the sound more bassy. Even the Fiio you used I read can add a bit of an extra bassy signature.

So, I'm hoping when I get the Meridian Explorer2 on Wednesday, it will help reverse things slightly between the bass and vocals. From what I've read online so far, it seems the Meridian Explorer2 is mostly neutral on the bass and makes the vocals slightly more forward with a bit of extra treble. This may make the Re-800 perfect for me. I'll post my impressions of it in the Re-800 thread, and I may write a review of my own for it.

Anyways, I recently had a designer create an audio frequency response graph showing my perfect ideal sound signature. I'll try posting it here to give an impression of my preferences for audio sound :

waiting for your review,love re800 as well

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #191 of 627

I sort of agree with you, the RE800 does metal better in my opinion, and that is a lot of what I listen to, but it does not have the same liquid properties in the midrange that I love on the RE2000.

The RE800 is leaner, tighter and quicker, but the RE2000 morphs to the music you are listening to and are really captivating to listen to, but my tiny ears prefer the fit of the RE800.

I would even say the Dunu DK3001 is better than the RE800, but apples to oranges (hybrid vs single dynamic).

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #192 of 627
I sort of agree with you, the RE800 does metal better in my opinion, and that is a lot of what I listen to, but it does not have the same liquid properties in the midrange that I love on the RE2000.

The RE800 is leaner, tighter and quicker, but the RE2000 morphs to the music you are listening to and are really captivating to listen to, but my tiny ears prefer the fit of the RE800.

I would even say the Dunu DK3001 is better than the RE800, but apples to oranges (hybrid vs single dynamic).

For fun, I equalized RE-2000 for a larger soundstage since my main music is also metal. I'll post my experiments and EQ profiles with my official reviews!

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #193 of 627
I don't have the Re-2000, only the Re-800. Yet from looking at the audio frequency response graphs, it appears the Re-2000 has a slightly deeper bass and a very small u-shaped dip in the mids. However, I'm not quite advanced enough in my audio knowledge to analyze the differences in treble.

Based from Brooko's graphs, can anyone help me to learn the curve differences between the two iems? I'd really appreciate more knowledge of the treble region. Even in the graph I had someone design for me in showing my ideal sound signature, I had to guess at the treble based on the levels of providing enough detail while minimizing sibilance from the little I do know of treble curves.

Although, from seeing so many of these graphs, it definitely appears that the treble region is a very tricky one to get right, and at least from what I can tell between the Re-800 and the Re-2000, it was important for HiFiMan to modify the treble in contrast with each other possibly at least in part resulting in the other sound differences. Otherwise, I figure the treble would be about the same in wanting to create as much airy detail and spaciousness to the sound as possible.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #194 of 627
The two have somewhat similar tonality. The RE2000 has a little more body and fullness - RE800 comparatively leaner. The main difference is in the 6-8 k/Hz area - and it's a big peak, not a bump. This area often gives a lot of presence to cymbals, and for some can be pretty sibilant and quite shouty. The issue for me is that the RE2000 treble is already quite extended, and pretty well balanced. The RE800 is leaner, and then there is the large +12dB spike. It's too much (imo) for a headphone of this value. I think they over-did it. YMMV

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #195 of 627
I don't have the Re-2000, only the Re-800. Yet from looking at the audio frequency response graphs, it appears the Re-2000 has a slightly deeper bass and a very small u-shaped dip in the mids. However, I'm not quite advanced enough in my audio knowledge to analyze the differences in treble.

Based from Brooko's graphs, can anyone help me to learn the curve differences between the two iems? I'd really appreciate more knowledge of the treble region. Even in the graph I had someone design for me in showing my ideal sound signature, I had to guess at the treble based on the levels of providing enough detail while minimizing sibilance from the little I do know of treble curves.

Although, from seeing so many of these graphs, it definitely appears that the treble region is a very tricky one to get right, and at least from what I can tell between the Re-800 and the Re-2000, it was important for HiFiMan to modify the treble in contrast with each other possibly at least in part resulting in the other sound differences. Otherwise, I figure the treble would be about the same in wanting to create as much airy detail and spaciousness to the sound as possible.

I'd say that RE-800 is more forward in their cymbals than RE-2000 while RE-2000 has a fuller sound in general.

The two have somewhat similar tonality. The RE2000 has a little more body and fullness - RE800 comparatively leaner. The main difference is in the 6-8 k/Hz area - and it's a big peak, not a bump. This area often gives a lot of presence to cymbals, and for some can be pretty sibilant and quite shouty. The issue for me is that the RE2000 treble is already quite extended, and pretty well balanced. The RE800 is leaner, and then there is the large +12dB spike. It's too much (imo) for a headphone of this value. I think they over-did it. YMMV

EQ is usually your best friend for those kind of situations. I will always prefer having too much treble over having too little :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back