The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 8, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #797 of 6,859
The reason people are still using transport gear and stand alone amps is because in many cases amps have much better parameters on the end. Higher power, channel separation , snr . Daps still sound good and are more than enough for music . High end daps with super specs cost 1k+ . For that price you can get a very capable player ( shanling M0 let's say ) and feed nice clean audio ( dsd or other hi res ) to a powerful amp with killer specs, and it will be half the price.
For convenience it's easier to just one music player with you. For quality though , stacking will still be there . Amps and Hugo's and Mojo's ain't going nowhere.

Those who favor convenience over quality just listen to their smartphones. My 2c...

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #798 of 6,859
The reason people are still using transport gear and stand alone amps is because in many cases amps have much better parameters on the end. Higher power, channel separation , snr . Daps still sound good and are more than enough for music . High end daps with super specs cost 1k+ . For that price you can get a very capable player ( shanling M0 let's say ) and feed nice clean audio ( dsd or other hi res ) to a powerful amp with killer specs, and it will be half the price.
For convenience it's easier to just one music player with you. For quality though , stacking will still be there . Amps and Hugo's and Mojo's ain't going nowhere.

Those who favor convenience over quality just listen to their smartphones. My 2c...

Not only separated Amp but.DAC/Amp as well. On my case all DAP tests didn't reach the SQ and sound signature of Mojo paired with Ether FowF Open, so my investment on DAP is as a transport with a total cost added to Mojo less than good DAPs.

True that once I receive R3 I will is it too as mobile player always Tidal offline is implemented to be stored in mSD card.

Initially I will pair R3 through USB-C micro USB but what or move to SPDIF as soon as possible. Actually when paying Tidal > Chromecast Audio > Mojo is my preferred SQ.

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #800 of 6,859
Not only separated Amp but.DAC/Amp as well. On my case all DAP tests didn't reach the SQ and sound signature of Mojo paired with Ether FowF Open, so my investment on DAP is as a transport with a total cost added to Mojo less than good DAPs.

True that once I receive R3 I will is it too as mobile player always Tidal offline is implemented to be stored in mSD card.

Initially I will pair R3 through USB-C micro USB but what or move to SPDIF as soon as possible. Actually when paying Tidal > Chromecast Audio > Mojo is my preferred SQ.
I plan on switching to spdif too and waiting for a cable that would word with the idsd BL. I was also thinking of a Chromecast audio setup for the BL. How is the signal that is fed in from the Chromecast audio? I believe max is 24/96?

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #801 of 6,859
How many of you that baked the R3 plan to use it as a transport to something like the Micro iDSD BL or the likes?

lol nope , for portable use and car. Sold my mojo quite a while ago, I'm just not a stacker I guess. I'm pretty much strictly an iem man now a days so don't need the mojo. I actually enjoy the less warm balanced out of the zx300 more than mojo anyways. :wink: Stage is bigger, details are on point and more treble energy and still very refined. Mojo obviously has more juice.

I'm preaching to the choir I know :) R3 will be for car and active use and occasional tidal use. And to gawk at that incredible screen!

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #802 of 6,859
lol nope , for portable use and car. Sold my mojo quite a while ago, I'm just not a stacker I guess. I'm pretty much strictly an iem man now a days so don't need the mojo. I actually enjoy the less warm balanced out of the zx300 more than mojo anyways. :wink: Stage is bigger, details are on point and more treble energy and still very refined. Mojo obviously has more juice.

I'm preaching to the choir I know :) R3 will be for car and active use and occasional tidal use. And to gawk at that incredible screen!
Good to see you here my friend :)
I agree with you on the zx300 but i just can't let the idsd BL go to waste. I havent found a single piece of gear that didn't have the right synergy with the BL so I want to use that more.

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #804 of 6,859
Good to see you here my friend :)
I agree with you on the zx300 but i just can't let the idsd BL go to waste. I havent found a single piece of gear that didn't have the right synergy with the BL so I want to use that more.

Same here my friend! I've never heard the idsd, but I heard it's a monster. Hey I love small daps, so I will probably buy this and the shanling m0. As long as it doesn't sound dark as HBB first reported- but I guess that unit didn't have proper firmware.

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #805 of 6,859
Same here my friend! I've never heard the idsd, but I heard it's a monster. Hey I love small daps, so I will probably buy this and the shanling m0. As long as it doesn't sound dark as HBB first reported- but I guess that unit didn't have proper firmware.
You are right about that. Chris has promised that after a frolicking sunday he will be in a more pleasant disposition to give us more on the sonicality of the R3

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #806 of 6,859
1. bass speed /attack
2. level of details
I do not think it is relevant to say that detail and speed depends only on the transducer type. I have listened to Sennheiser IE 800 before (1 dynamic driver), and it had a very fast bass response and much more details than my 4x BA Shure SE846. I also own an RHA MA750i and it reveals so many details and a nice fast bass response as well.

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #807 of 6,859
How many of you that baked the R3 plan to use it as a transport to something like the Micro iDSD BL or the likes?
Gonna stack with Mojo.

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #808 of 6,859
I do not think it is relevant to say that detail and speed depends only on the transducer type. I have listened to Sennheiser IE 800 before (1 dynamic driver), and it had a very fast bass response and much more details than my 4x BA Shure SE846. I also own an RHA MA750i and it reveals so many details and a nice fast bass response as well.

Well, I'm not saying that all BA earphones are fast, not at all. In general, multidriver BA are not very fast - too many drivers to coordinate). But single BA like Etymotic ER4S/SR is another story.
You can run all your dynamic IEMs through this track to hear the mess they most probably produce with drums in the low frequency region)

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #809 of 6,859
Well, I'm not saying that all BA earphones are fast, not at all. In general, multidriver BA are not very fast - too many drivers to coordinate). But single BA like Etymotic ER4S/SR is another story.
You can run all your dynamic IEMs through this track to hear the mess they most probably produce with drums in the low frequency region)
Well, of course BAs can be faster. Actually, dual-BAs like the twfk are even faster than the ety, but it doesn't come only with positives as usually you sacrifice realistic note weight, attack and decay for sheer speed and clarity. So in the end it comes down to personal preference rather than "BAs are superior to good dynamic drivers in every aspect PERIOD".

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #810 of 6,859
me with my topping nx4 dsd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back