The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Sep 12, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #4,321 of 6,859
CBF64AF7-CBBB-454A-82FA-17DBEF7B31D5.jpeg
Tidal is a non working feature.. If you bought it for tidal.. Sell it I have the same issues on 3 devices .. No tidal possible
Don’t understand what are you talking about...
Tidal is working fine on R3

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #4,328 of 6,859
Yes. I've tried at work, at home, on the road. No success anywhere. It's weird that I can connect to Tidal and see my collection of music but that I can't play anything.

I've had the same issue. It seems many on the forums have as a well. I contacted Hiby 'support' and got a cryptic, unintelligible 2 sentence response saying it's a known problem, something to do with the integration or a change in the API or something, and no word on when they would fix it.

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #4,329 of 6,859
I bought one of these players, and I am not a fan. IMHO their DLNA "Feature" is broken. Their implementation of DLNA involves having to run the Hiby application on your smartphone in order to get DLNA audio into the R3. This is broken. My phone plays DLNA audio quite well without the Hiby app or the Hiby R3. What I expected is the Hiby R3 to connect to the DLNA servers in my house, and give me a true, portable, single device player.

I am all ears for why this design may be good?

Originally missed out on the kickstarter campaign and finally bought the R3 (for the wife - to replace her old ipod) directly from HiBy last week.
Choose it not just for its compact size and good looks, but because of the advertised features of WIFI, DNLA and AirPlay.
First impressions were very good - updated to 1.12 Firmware and quickly accustomed to its UI.

But when it came to playing around with the connectivity features, I am having the same realisation as a few other owners. Not quite that this feature is 'broken', I think its more the case that the DLNA/AirPlay ability has been falsely advertised with intentional lack of clarity aimed to mislead the buyer!

Just been informed by Hiby services that "R3 is only a Render of DLNA" and therefore cannot access music files on a NAS directly.
Having spent 3 days reading almost this entire 280+ page thread, it seems like the odd person had noted this also and even a representative of HiBy (Joe Bloggs?) on this forum confirms it is not possible to play the music files on the R3 without a computer or a smartphone.

I ask - What's the point of having WIFI / DLNA / Airplay?
My wife's 5 year old iPod can to better than that!

I consider this to be a far more serious shortfall from Hiby than the reported problems with Tidal. At least HiBy can blame Tidal for lack of offline play.
Just wish I'd read this thread before regarding DLNA / Airplay feature.

I fear that someone will confirm that the DLNA problem is a hardware issue and cannot be fixed with a firmware update?

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #4,330 of 6,859
I think its more the case that the DLNA/AirPlay ability has been falsely advertised with intentional lack of clarity aimed to mislead the buyer!

Spot on. It's been the same for many not-as-advertised features and with their utterly vague responses from "support" - right down to where they told me "it'll be expensive for you if you return your device, we don't recommend it" - I find them to be a terrible and misleading company. I won't buy a single product from them again.

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #4,331 of 6,859
Spot on. It's been the same for many not-as-advertised features and with their utterly vague responses from "support" - right down to where they told me "it'll be expensive for you if you return your device, we don't recommend it" - I find them to be a terrible and misleading company. I won't buy a single product from them again.

Thanks to both of you for posting. I completely agree, and AT BEST they have been misleading! I will not buy another Hiby device, or any other brand that uses the Hiby O/S because their design vision is to put things they can't support on the device into the support application . Not a good solution for a standalone device! You know what? DLNA is not overly complex and not hard to implement. FWIW. ..I had a conversation with a Shanling Tech, and DLNA is supposed to be implemented standalone in the M5S...

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #4,332 of 6,859
But back to the Tidal problem. What could cause it to work on some units but not on others? Makes no sense to me. Is it a location thing? Is anyone in the US able to get Tidal songs to play on their R3?

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #4,333 of 6,859

I also was very surprised that I had to send music to the r3,- what is the point in that? I figured the solution was just to browse the pc to stream..

Luckily I got it mainly for offline music on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back