The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 31, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #3,856 of 6,859
I heard back from Hiby Support about the bad 2.5mm balanced port on my R3. They told me they are changing their address for after sales service and will be sending the address this week sometime. I am going to have to ship it back to them and they are going to look at my unit and either repair or replace it based on what they find.

Really a big hassle to have to ship it back to them in China and then wait for them to repair/replace and reship. Who knows how long I'll be without the R3. I'm betting it'll be close to a month or longer when all is said and done. I wish they would just ship me a new one and I would ship them back my faulty unit.

I'm enjoying this little DAP a lot, so it's going to be hard to be without it for awhile. Back to my iPhone stacked with my iFi Micro iDSD BL for awhile. Love the portability of the R3 with a pair of IEMs when I go for walks. Can't do that with a stacked iphone and ifi Micro!

The 2.5mm balanced port is something I will be using a lot so i want it to work. If i just let it go and don't do anything now it will never get fixed.

Good luck - let us know how long it takes. I just switched my IEMs to a balanced cable and really hear the difference.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #3,857 of 6,859
Hi all, received my hiby today, now before I go completely mad can someone help me understand this, with this dap, can I run Usb C to coaxial RCA into a digital input on an amp ?? I have added pic of the cable.
I bought this cable and it doesn't work.
https://goo.gl/images/YHWvL4
Much appreciated if my sanity can be saved.

That cable was made specifically for cayin. Perhaps the R3 uses a different pin out of the USB C?

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #3,859 of 6,859
Hi Rodel808.
Yes starting to look like that, has Hiby released a cable to suit their Dap, or can Anyone suggest a cable that does work?.
Cheers for the reply bud
Works just fine for me:
Yuk18NxkKBhjgRQ9AKj6LgL_HG6OiAX0HNwBlIgsFNYDUsQ91mseihmZSxiFCpu15ZmQZg0E26TN1L8XQ9UsUcl0eck0FdSM6PWY8_kC9tQfocxG0i9YlZMrCpBWB7K9IFeFCiVLtieaMyN5Fzd1VDEcZ1xB9O5YkWFCz0dh9VlG_Jtwsl0i8xpE-yxhfXYzxsQLRDZEjkXO8tLHxS933kL4n4GsAVoT3BNOpoLpvfGYOvLlxKrHpcvSXq8jDGDjd4r3oCoUE9ubOCwnin4SEuE_KA4gGI1iZt4EXIa7V-lxc7DbiChAHYNxcm3Csc4yWbTZ6cnPXmgFGDdLRS49Km2L7P1TLGlxqvo53vSr2eilEHfWkiiAd0NKUoYBaoC5MArerIQdakCq1zJ140Nr6NrafrMGBcOKoPO6zQ89f1hp_QtsfKWR7AqtsK0kHg3IHH7SaV8h767tglxNr3zW_SJYFI0MCYCb0jCJj4bFAzQCphQusx_5lM2PWsddYFd-dZhBCTLh6MWcvS_4OphX_DSOZCIhXiuNUtwAoSwPQXu2aSRBaX2AWy0GmdikGVTu46mNw6BAw_bWdlMpMD6pX1ziL4z8HrZDmtlQAdM=w1055-h647-no

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #3,863 of 6,859
Ok it does say that just checked.
Umm I don't know now I have nothing else to check it on
Hey, it happens. I'm sure it's a 'handshake' issue. I had to try a few different cables with my home theater til I found some that played nice together. You just have to find a cable that works. I just got lucky the first cable I tried with my iFi iDSD Micro BL worked.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #3,864 of 6,859
Hey, it happens. I'm sure it's a 'handshake' issue. I had to try a few different cables with my home theater til I found some that played nice together. You just have to find a cable that works. I just got lucky the first cable I tried with my iFi iDSD Micro BL worked.
Hi Squonk12
Good news it does work the player volume was on "0",...... happy camper now :dt880smile::dt880smile:
But just for Giggles,I think the audio is better coming from my Laptop Via USB input into the Audio GD
Regards,and thank you for the reply's mate

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #3,865 of 6,859
Hi Squonk12
Good news it does work the player volume was on "0",...... happy camper now :dt880smile::dt880smile:
But just for Giggles,I think the audio is better coming from my Laptop Via USB input into the Audio GD
Regards,and thank you for the reply's mate
lol Funny you should mention this. I've been doing a more critical comparison between USB and COAX today and I think I now agree with many others on here: the USB connection does seem to sound a bit better than COAX. Slightly more air, less haze, cleaner; however you want to describe it. Just ever so slightly. Was hard to distinguish on the road, but, at home, I think I agree.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #3,866 of 6,859
lol Funny you should mention this. I've been doing a more critical comparison between USB and COAX today and I think I now agree with many others on here: the USB connection does seem to sound a bit better than COAX. Slightly more air, less haze, cleaner; however you want to describe it. Just ever so slightly. Was hard to distinguish on the road, but, at home, I think I agree.

Well it's a flick of a switch on the Audio Gd amp between, Coaxial and Usb = Usb /laptop Coaxil /Hiby R3
Laptop has a much fuller sound to be honest, I may sell the Hiby now i think..

Regards

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #3,867 of 6,859
Hi Rodel808.
Yes starting to look like that, has Hiby released a cable to suit their Dap, or can Anyone suggest a cable that does work?.
Cheers for the reply bud

During their Kickstarter campaign they offered a usb-c to coax cable (link). Try emailing Hiby to see how to obtain one.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #3,868 of 6,859
The case arrived. So they do exist in the wild. Much less in the way or DHL tracking etc. with this.

Came with a few stickers that I regard as silly. Maybe some others can appreciate them.

Still trying to figure out how to adjust these with MSEB to sound the way I want. I want more bass, and just turning up the bass depth slider does not seem to do the trick. Since I have no issues with bass on my other devices with any of my headphones, I am wondering if I am running into some kind of headphone device impedance issue along the way.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #3,869 of 6,859
The case arrived. So they do exist in the wild. Much less in the way or DHL tracking etc. with this.

Came with a few stickers that I regard as silly. Maybe some others can appreciate them.

Still trying to figure out how to adjust these with MSEB to sound the way I want. I want more bass, and just turning up the bass depth slider does not seem to do the trick. Since I have no issues with bass on my other devices with any of my headphones, I am wondering if I am running into some kind of headphone device impedance issue along the way.

If you want more bass use the equaliser it may sound better?. You will have to up the vol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back