The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Jun 3, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #571 of 1,313
Huawei P10 and AAC. (Hiby did not even want to know)

Huawei is known to have odd BT implementation, I wonder if that's the case.

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #572 of 1,313
Does the P10 have the special codec that HiBy w3 supports?

Or is it too old a Huawei phone?

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #574 of 1,313
Hi, thanks for the detailed impressions on each bluetooth receiver-dac. I actually just got myself the UP4 for cheaper (~$75) than the listed price here. I did look for measurements of some sort before buying but hadn't found one so I bought one anyway because I was in rush need for a portable solution to use with my IEMs when outside. This thread was somehow not shown on search engine. Anyway, my first impression of UP4 is it's quite thick (warm?) and smooth sounding at least for me. Did Shanling change something in their latest firmware (v1.2.3)? I tried this via the SE output though haven't got a chance to try the balanced output.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #575 of 1,313
Appreciating the BTR5 much more now with big cans on and wanting to jump up and get something across the room etc.

I'm not sure why these BT receivers seem to choose 48k vs 44k as a choice so you are not up-sampling to that frequency...doubt it matters.
since the source file is going away from bitperfect with the codecs anyway.

Edit :I guess not everyone has only 44k files anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #576 of 1,313
Appreciating the BTR5 much more now with big cans on and wanting to jump up and get something across the room etc.

I'm not sure why these BT receivers seem to choose 48k vs 44k as a choice so you are not up-sampling to that frequency...doubt it matters.
since the source file is going away from bitperfect with the codecs anyway.

Edit :I guess not everyone has only 44k files anyway.

Besides what sampling rate that music are in, sometime it is the OS that resamples everything. Android, for an example, has a bad habit of resampling everything into 48kHz by default, unless you use an music playing app to stop it from doing so.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #577 of 1,313
Hi. @ClieOS

LDAC (with ability to eq) and balanced 2.5 fan here

What is the current comparison of Qudelix-5K and Radsone ES100 MK2

is the Qudelix-5K iOS app ready for prime time yet?

And - Is there another rival with LDAC & eq possibilities?

thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #578 of 1,313
Hi. @ClieOS

LDAC (with ability to eq) and balanced 2.5 fan here

What is the current comparison of Qudelix-5K and Radsone ES100 MK2

And - Is there another rival with LDAC & eq possibilities?

thanks!
No one does EQ on LDAC except for ES100 for now. While 5K will get this function over time, I don't expect it's app to be as polished as ES100's on the beginning so it won't be a completely fair comparison between the two. FiiO has mentioned that they are trying to develop a firmware for BTR5 that can do EQ over LDAC, but so far we haven't really seen anything concrete.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #579 of 1,313
No one does EQ on LDAC except for ES100 for now. While 5K will get this function over time, I don't expect it's app to be as polished as ES100's on the beginning so it won't be a completely fair comparison between the two. FiiO has mentioned that they are trying to develop a firmware for BTR5 that can do EQ over LDAC, but so far we haven't really seen anything concrete.

Back to Radsone for me then! thanks.

My diy / hacked Fiio LDAC neckband Is starting to have intermittent cut out issues as the soldering (I cut the ear hook parts off and grafted on Ares II 2 pin terminations) tnever really took properly.

I am also getting some Snugs custom ear moulds made for a ATH-aDSR5BT neckband. I like their pure digital drive speaker tech.but sadly they can’t multi pair pair to my phone and DAP like an ES100 can.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #580 of 1,313
LDAC clearly better than aptX or marginally ?
I have not had enough time to focus on the filters on BTR5, but it seemed so granular if anything.. cycling through a few times.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #581 of 1,313
I have not had enough time to focus on the filters on BTR5, but it seemed so granular if anything.. cycling through a few times.
I can't hear any difference between AptxHD vs LDAC. Different filters also seem to be doing not much at all, though I'm talking about BTR3k.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #582 of 1,313
I'd just be looking for best sub-bass extension out these LP filters if that is what they are doing, subtle shaping of the low-end.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #583 of 1,313
I'd just be looking for best sub-bass extension out these LP filters if that is what they are doing, subtle shaping of the low-end.
Auditioning them I find “slow” seems to favour low end punch.

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #584 of 1,313
Marginally at best for me.
Technically with files up to CD quality aptX HD will pass on just as much info as LDAC, since it does 24bit/48kHz. In those cases 660 LDAC is actually preferable to the 990 max quality setting since it’s more stable and you don't need the extra kbps. Even LDAC vs regular aptX on CD quality files the difference is subtle, often nill.

One thing to keep in mind is that each of these codecs actually has its own tuning on the receiver side. The data is compressed and decompressed using different algorithms; but mostly the music that comes out of that process is subject to a little processing as it’s being rendered. This is easy to test on the ES100, where care has been taken to tune the codecs differently. You can use a Spotify stream so that the data rate of aptX is not a bottleneck, and a source that supports aptX, aptX HD and LDAC, and hear it with your own ears, it’s an interesting experiment. aptX sounds the bassiest, LDAC puts higher freqs forward, aptX HD sits in the middle and I like it best.

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #585 of 1,313
Just wanted to pop in here and say thanks for the information on the FiiO BTR3K. I came across the BTR3 about a week ago on a few sites and bought it on Amazon. Today I stumbled here (did I miss the mention of it on this site or did this site now show not show up? I don't know, glad it did now) and became aware of the BTR3K and am eagerly returning the former in favor of the latter.

I have a somewhat on-topic/off-topic question.

Would I be better off using the BTR3K with it's AK4377A*2 using LDAC (phone doesn't have AptxHD) or a generic USB-C to 3.5mm with an ALC4050/4042 (they claim it's a 4050) if I can help it? Obviously having the flexibility is phenomenal and I know obviously with good equipment a wired connection is better but am leery of this whole tiny dac chip in the cable approach and am not that familiar with Intel HD chips.

Update 6/20/20
Got my BTR3K, while I like it overall and performance is better, still can't get 990kbps anywhere near reliably... I don't know if it's my S20 U or the receiver. My phone supports all the BT 5.0 protocols to date.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back