The HEADSIX, a Head-Fi support sales-action
Dec 8, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #451 of 917
The positive comments re the Headsix are making me more and more excited as I wait for mine to be delivered!! I've re-read this whole thread a couple of times - and have another tiny question re the battery. Thanks to snejk (#442) I understand how the battery slides in (and held in place by end cap) BUT is there a "correct" orientation?? ( In the sense that battery always has to be "face-up" or "positive on RHS" ?? ) Or does it not matter?!
Thanks.

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #453 of 917
Got my Headsix a few days ago and I'm stoked! Hard to believe something so small can sound so good. Much better than my bithead, nice bass and soundstage. I'm really liking it.

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #454 of 917
ugh, I just can't remove the screws located on the front plate. They just seem to have been glued in here. I tried using the screwdriver that was given with the headsix and another one, and no go... the screws just won't move.

kinda sucks cause I'm using it with e500 and the volume output on high gain is almost already too high at 10%...

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #455 of 917
Hi Stanrex. Some earlier posters had same trouble !! The answer seemed to be a much longer screwdriver which I guess gives you more torque to get the things undone!! I'm waiting for my amp - but asked Jan to set it at low gain for starters cos i'll be using iems almost exclusively!! (Sorry - didnt mean that to sound smug(!) - just trying to be helpful and reassuring!!) Good luck.

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #456 of 917
Using a much bigger screwdriver did the trick. Thanks

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #457 of 917
Wait, you need screwdrivers to set the gain?

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #458 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by Decel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, you need screwdrivers to set the gain?

Yes you do, since to set the gain you have to remove the amp from the casing by removing the screws in the face plate to set the jumpers for the gain.

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #459 of 917
Decel. No-that's just to take the end cap off to gain (sorry!) access. I understand that the gain is changed between high/low via a couple of jumpers.

Apparently the default position as shipped is high gain - I'm awaiting delivery - but asked Jan at Meier to set mine to low because i'll be using iems. Regards.

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #460 of 917
Hmmm, well, I kinda hoped that it was through the back, preferably with a switch.

Oh well, minor annoyance, but if that method gives me better sound, then so be it.

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #461 of 917
Just received mine in the post!! (So these comments are after 10 minutes burn-in!!) Out of the box the sound is very very good(IMHO) I've tried Etymotic 6is and Superfi 5pros and love the full bass, great mids/highs and ........ a kindof clarity as well which maybe what others call "soundstage" - very very impressed!!

One tiny gotcha which caught me out - I plugged a Qables interconnect from Ipod Nano to the Headsix - and initially only got sound in one channel. Jan's instructions warn that sockets arent attached to faceplate and you need battery in to provide support/pressure. My Qables plug wasnt FULLY pushed home - when I realised this all was well - both channels fine. I wonder if the contacts/springs will slightly "soften" with use such that plugging in will make full contacts easier?!

Anyway - it's sounding great at the moment - if burn-in makes it sound better (which others in this thread have said) then IMHO it's a brilliant sounding amp indeed. Regards.

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #463 of 917
Just got mine. Playing apple loss-less from an iPod through to E4c's. Pretty good out of the box. Also tried senn px100'sn as I use these travelling a lot. Excellent with these. And now to HD650's - not sure if I will use this combination much but it's a great sound. Definitely will change to low gain - even the 650's didn't really need the high setting.
Being lazy and not wanting to go through the whole thread, can anyone tell me the recommendations on power supplies and rechargeable batteries - 220v versions.

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #464 of 917
This really really is a fine amp!! I'm so pleased with the sound after just a few hours "burning" in. My sources are Ipod Nano and Sony HD5 both line-out into the Headsix then (so far) into Ety 6is, Superfi5pros and Shure E3's. The Etys sound wonderful now - no lack of bass(IMHO) but superb mids /highs. The warm(er)/fun sounding 5pros are even better than unamped - and (amazingly) my least favourite shures (very "flat" sounding to me ) are much much better with the Headsix.

What is amazing to me is that the sound seems ....."wider" (is that what you call soundstage?) I'm hearing bits of music I didnt know was there. ( A singer's breath in at the start of a song............. some quiet piano on a track which i'd never heard before) This really is a fine amp - and as others say - if it improves later..............WOW!!

(incidently - I do have a Pocketamp2v2 as well as GovibeV7 - both fine amps in their own way - but Headsix is definitely better!!! More expensive true - but worth it IMHO.

PS I briefly mentioned earlier only hearing one channel when I first tried it - that was my excitement making me stupid!!! I hadnt pushed plug all the way in!! My fault entirely - the amp is a dream!! Well done Jan Meier - all I can say is ............. get one while there's some left!! (NO - I'm not on a commission.................just a very very happy listener!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back