The HEADSIX, a Head-Fi support sales-action
Nov 7, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #346 of 917
Send an email to Jan as stated in the beginning of the head-six thread:
meier-audio@t-online.de

Tell him if you want a silver or black.

He will email you back the payment instructions.

You can mail him cash ($150) or send money by Paypal ($165)

After he receives the cash - you can expect to receive the amp within 10 days. I received my amp 6 days after making payment.

All the best

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #348 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by eliseo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much!!
Should I write my address in both English and Chinese?

You should write only in English.

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #349 of 917
I got mine today and it's now being burnt-in.
Although the burn-in had not been done well, the sound was really good and expressive for my first impression.
I agree with everyone's opinion, it is worth the price or I would say more than its price.

A pity I felt was those two screws on the front panel.
I was struggling to unscrew them up as they were awfully hard.
Almost 30mins had gone when I finished to open the panel to modify it to Low-gain.
Possibly my arm muscle is too soft or my screw driver is too dodgy.
But I didn't expect that sort of hassle anyway.
Did anyone go through the same thing?

Well, I'm not blaming the headsix, believe it or not!

What made me happy other than its sound performance was that I can use iBasso D1's power supply for headsix! How nice!

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #351 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlemmon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I

A pity I felt was those two screws on the front panel.
I was struggling to unscrew them up as they were awfully hard.
Almost 30mins had gone when I finished to open the panel to modify it to Low-gain.
Possibly my arm muscle is too soft or my screw driver is too dodgy.
But I didn't expect that sort of hassle anyway.
Did anyone go through the same thing?

Yeah, it was a basxxxd to take off. What worked for me was that I made sure the screwdriver was straight, but the first try I used a longer screwdriver than the one that was provided by Jan. After that, it's a breeze.

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #352 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has some minor flaws, like the difficulty that some people are experiencing with the latch mechanism (perhaps due to slight variation in battery sizes? who knows...),

Just REMOVE rubber chip from latch arm.
I think latch problem will dissolve by this method.

But when closing backpanel, and if you are using alkaline battery, you need take care as follows.

1. Just place backpanel.
2. Then turn the knob till it stops (around 45 degree position) WITHOUT pressing it.
3. And then, turn the knob while pushing backpanel.

If you are using MAHA battery, there is no need to take care when remove rubber chip. Just place and press and turn.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #353 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another typo I can't fix or will mess up time stamp.

I messed up my original numbering when I changed them to account for a tie, and iBasso stock via it's own DAC was 5th. But my typo said it was 6th, and I jumped from 4th to 6th.

The iBasso D1 via Headstage USB DAC should have been 6th, and was left out.

I wasn't trying to 'bust your nads' either (well, afaik, as I'm not 100% of the meaning of phrase
etysmile.gif
) but maybe you can see why I wasn't 100% clear on your rankings now.
smily_headphones1.gif

(You should have just said they're all much of a muchness. That would have saved you all the time you spent writing and me reading.
tongue.gif
)

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #354 of 917
Okay, it's all much the same goodness, but doing it differently.
tongue.gif

Now let's really confuse you. From my other review: The Headsix sound signature when fed an analog signal from (1) headphone out of laptop and (2) with the Headstage USB DAC is one way - More forward.

I felt this forwardness was nice with the "warm Meier sound signature". Of course, this was sometimes a bit too much on some program material (like in certain small live venues or some percussion material), but perfect for others (like woodwinds and vocals, or huge sucked-out live venues). Others have noticed they can take their Meier home amp to low gain and change that sound signature, from warm/forward to more detailed highs and powerful bass.

I haven't tried that with the Headsix yet BUT, if I then feed it (3) a signal from the iBasso DAC and the soundstage it pulls back just the right amount and sounds even better, while still on high gain. Until I found a better opamp for the iBasso amp section, the Headsix with iBasso DAC clearly beat the iBasso amp using it's own internal DAC connection.

While the Lyrix is the opposite with changes upon using different sources. The soundstage moves forward a little more with the iBasso DAC, and then it sounds better (sounding just like what a Headsix sounds on the iBasso DAC). However, the Lyrix and Headsix only sound like each other when either amp is fed the signal from the iBasso DAC. I wondered if the input impedances or something else are very different.

I posed this question in the other amp/DAC comparison thread, asking why that could happen. It makes sense that the load the amp puts on the source (whether headphone out, Headstage USB DAC, or iBasso USB DAC) can alter the sound of the source - similar to how a resistor between a headphone and amp can change the color of the sound. The iBasso DAC may be more stable to putting out the same sound with varying loads that it sees when feeding different amps.

We came to that conclusion (more stable) because whether the iBasso was driving ONE amp or TWO at the SAME timen (with a splitter), there was no change when listening while plugging-in and unplugging the second amp! Try that with two headphones on one amp, and you'll hear the change in sound when the extra headphone is added and removed from the circuit.

Anyway, I find that I am now using the tiny Meier Headsix exclusively as my portable iPod amp now, the Lyrix is small enough to be used all the time with my laptop with it's built-in DAC, and the larger iBasso D1 now spends all the time with my bedside optical out CD player.

I could probably sell my Tomahawk and PenguinAmps now (which are all quite good too) to fund an Arietta or Cantate home amp, to use with the iBasso DAC at the bedside. Something I am seriously considering if I convince myself to not experiment with the tube route first.

Someone stop me
eek.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #358 of 917
So just got my silver HEADSIX (thanks Jan !!) gotta say this is a nice little amp.
Working Class Hero cover by Green Day had not sounded this good !

Running it out of my iPod through a ALO Cryo mini into the HEADSIX. Good sound. I'll let it burn in for a while and post some more.

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #359 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhearthecowZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every day I check my mail a few times to see if it's here yet, I'm so impatient.

Me too! I hope I could get the confirm mail from Jan today!
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #360 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something I am seriously considering if I convince myself to not experiment with the tube route first.

Someone stop me
eek.gif

Why would we stop you? Tubes, you know it's right!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Tubes, tubes, tubes.............................

cheers
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back