The HEADSIX, a Head-Fi support sales-action
Oct 20, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #226 of 917
So very tempted to order it but I am not sure if i should drop the money or start at a lower point
frown.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #228 of 917
Well, I paid 9:45pm 10/12 and received it by 3pm today, 10/19/07. It couldn't have shiped before the 13th = 6 days! I wasn't even looking for it to arrive before next week.

I have 15 minutes on my HEADSIX, and have not compared it to any of my other amps yet, not till it is burned in. But, I CAN say it sounds nice out of the box. The bass is tight and present, the highs are smooth, and the soundstage is wide with good dynamic range.

There is a minor issue with some grainyness in the mids with my Livewires at higher volumes (like when pretending I'm at a live jazz concert), but at normal volumes it isn't as noticable. I've seen this with several of my amps which have all smoothed out with just a few short hours hours on them. I haven't tried other sources, just a quick listen with my 3G nano and ALO Jumbo Cryo X Silver dock. I haven't tried any headphones other than my Livewires, again, just a quick listen.

It seems to be the same height and width as my tomahawk, and it's only 3/4 of an inch deeper from front to rear - not a deal breaker. The brushed aluminum case is a work of art, making me so glad I didn't go with black - you DON'T paint a DeLorean. My only gripe so far is having the line-in jack being on the left instead of right, so it isn't centered with my iPod Line Out Dock. I have to bend the stiff ALO dock wires to swap amps between Tomahawk and HEADSIX. It's not that big an issue, but my iBasso and Tomahawk have the input in the center between headphone out and volume knob.

Anyway, the HEADSIX is really nice. I'm looking forward to seeing how this matures with time. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about not rushing the burn in and just using it as my main portable and listening for the changes. With my other amps I'd hook it up to power, a music source, and headphones to just let it run for days so I could review it sooner than later. I might want to savor this one as it ages.

Later gang!

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #230 of 917
I've had the head6 for a week and for once I can definitely hear a difference between amped and unamped. With my d2000 the bass really tightens up and is more refined all while adding more impact. I already thought my denons sounded great but the amp really brings it to another level. I use to think the d2000s were better in every aspect then my old hd580s except for female vocalists and some classical. This is no longer true since the head6 adds some air to female vocalist that was missing with my go-vibe 5. I really don't know how to describe sound all that well but all I know is that the head6>gv5.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #231 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I walked my dog 5 times today so that I would have an excuse to listen to my portable setup.
biggrin.gif

lol...lucky dog.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #233 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I paid 9:45pm 10/12 and received it by 3pm today, 10/19/07. It couldn't have shiped before the 13th = 6 days! I wasn't even looking for it to arrive before next week.

I have 15 minutes on my HEADSIX, and have not compared it to any of my other amps yet, not till it is burned in. But, I CAN say it sounds nice out of the box. The bass is tight and present, the highs are smooth, and the soundstage is wide with good dynamic range.

There is a minor issue with some grainyness in the mids with my Livewires at higher volumes (like when pretending I'm at a live jazz concert), but at normal volumes it isn't as noticable. I've seen this with several of my amps which have all smoothed out with just a few short hours hours on them. I haven't tried other sources, just a quick listen with my 3G nano and ALO Jumbo Cryo X Silver dock. I haven't tried any headphones other than my Livewires, again, just a quick listen.

It seems to be the same height and width as my tomahawk, and it's only 3/4 of an inch deeper from front to rear - not a deal breaker. The brushed aluminum case is a work of art, making me so glad I didn't go with black - you DON'T paint a DeLorean. My only gripe so far is having the line-in jack being on the left instead of right, so it isn't centered with my iPod Line Out Dock. I have to bend the stiff ALO dock wires to swap amps between Tomahawk and HEADSIX. It's not that big an issue, but my iBasso and Tomahawk have the input in the center between headphone out and volume knob.

Anyway, the HEADSIX is really nice. I'm looking forward to seeing how this matures with time. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about not rushing the burn in and just using it as my main portable and listening for the changes. With my other amps I'd hook it up to power, a music source, and headphones to just let it run for days so I could review it sooner than later. I might want to savor this one as it ages.

Later gang!

How does the Headsix hold up against your Tomahawk?

Quote:

I would love to hear some impressions with 580/600.

I'll will give it a try when I get home and let you know.

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #234 of 917
Anybody on the east coast mail in thier payment? My payment hasn't been received yet. I'm not doubting Jan credibility whatsoever, at all, in any shape form or fashion. I'm just trying to gauge the amount of time it takes a letter to get to Germany from Florida(or anywhere on the east coast for that matter).

I know when he shipped my Move to me, it only took 6 days for the amp to get to me, why would it be any longer for a letter to arrive to him?

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #235 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the Headsix hold up against your Tomahawk?

See my last post, second paragraph, 1st sentence.

How did you like it with the 580/600? I am not feeling well enough today to roll over and get my HD600 and listen, so I can't contribute on that yet.

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #237 of 917
I was lucky Yobb bring his "Headsix" to our Sydney meeting, and having a chance to perform quick comparison to my modded iBasso D1 (OPA2111/LM4562).

The source used Cowon D2 and earphone used Yuin PK-1.
I forgot the song name that used for the comparison but it was acoustic guitar musical with some percussions, they just fit for the benchmark.

HeadSix: The initial impression I had, that the sound is very "near" to you, almost surrounding all around you, the tone is very warm, I was amazed with the soundscape that came from this little neat box. The bass is adequate, the high is very refined, and overall less crisp (it's fine for my ears, because I hate hear something that too bright) but it's really warm to my ears. I simply love it, I fall in love straightly...

Modded iBasso D1: In contrary with Headsix, D1 soundscape put me in behind the stage, instead of in the middle of the stage, and warm feeling that I felt when listening via Headsix, suddenly become much more colder when listening via modded D1. However, D1 gives precise sound, more sterile than Headsix, this might because of LM4562 buffer - which reputed to gives "Clean" sounding, so giving my conclusion on both amps.

Headsix : Giving you warm & fun sounding, all instruments within the music is singing just for you, I guess that's how I describe the sensation that I experience with this little amp =)

Modded D1: Colder, but giving you a sense of lounge, can you imagine yourself sitting in the lonely lounge, where there is a singer singing on the stage, and somewhat sometimes I need that kind of situation (I'm a melancholic guy). But put in your notes, that D1 is customizable, so you can tailor the sound to suit your musical taste.

Forgive me if I do some mistakes, but this is my first time giving a mini-review, but I hope this will help people, who wondering how they sound against D1. I have no experience with Corda amps before, but I think I like corda sound signature, and I'm looking forward to hear more corda amps
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #238 of 917
got mine today. Sounds pretty good.

However, I wanted to change it to low gain and one of the screws was partially stripped when I got it.

I tried to unscrew it and stripped it even more...now I can't open it...what do I do?

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #239 of 917
Go to the Home Depot and get a screw extractor set. It's a series of screw bits that look a tiny bit like drill bits, except they taper to a point and they're threaded counter-clockwise.

Find one with a tip that fits nicely into the stripped-out phillips-head slot (I assume it's a Phillips) It's designed to grab into the stripped screw-head as it unscrews. Afterwards, bring it to a hardware store and see if you can get some replacements.

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #240 of 917
I also had an extremely hard time changing the gain. One of the screws on the front plate was "frozen" and no amount of hand-turning with my precision screwdriver would open it. Luckily, I found an electric drill with a phillips bit that did the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back