The HEADSIX, a Head-Fi support sales-action
Oct 5, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #47 of 917
Mmmm looking forward to tryin this baby out.

Quote:

If only the dollar was stronger...

So true, my canadian trip is going to be alot more costly this time around
frown.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #48 of 917
I'm in for my second Dr. Meier's amp.
And mind you, HeadFi, this is NOT an addiction. I'm only doing it to justify the purchase of iPod Sumo as an ultra-portable solution...

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #50 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is "low-current" essentially the same as "low-gain"? I'm wondering whether the HeadSix might struggle to drive my 40 Ohm PROlines or 30 Ohm Edition 9s.

Low-current is not the same as low gain. With battery power, the HeadSix should be capable of driving phones up to 120 ohms with very good sound quality. Above 120 ohms, headroom will be limited and sound quality may suffer. With the increased voltage of an external power supply however, the HeadSix should be capable of providing enough power to drive all phones well.

The gain setting you choose will depend on the sensitivity of your headphones and the strength of your source signal.

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #51 of 917
Hey tygger, how does the ER4S sound with the MOVE? If you recommend it, I might be inclined to get a HeadSix...

Oct 5, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #52 of 917
I'm sory for an OT but since HeadSix shares the Move's schematics this may apply to it as well.
Greydragon,
If you have Ety ER4 P/S like me then you've got two options with the Move, either High gain and S or Low gain and P. They soud different and switching between them acts as an EQ of sorts.
With High/S option the Etys sound close to Grado SR-325i + RA-1 combo (this is for my ears and my limited experience with headphones). And I only mean tonal responce, not the Grado's airiness and soundstage. The presentation is very detailed and transparent, the trebles don't stand out and the basses don't sound separate from mids. This is Ety sound at its best for me.
In th Low/P mode the sound is more relaxed and divided across the frequency range with the trebles on the verge of sibilance on some recordings. The basses are deep enogh but there is a feeling they occupy their own domain a bit apart from the mids.

Since modifying the gain involves opening the amp case I don't do that often. In fact I'm so happy with the High/S mode that I use it most of the time.

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #53 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you assume that the Tomahawk is equivalent to Hornet, and the HeadSix is equivalent to the Move in term of sound quality, respectively, then you can take a look at this THREAD.

A while back a fellow Head-Fier posted a response from Dr. Meier in which he stated the amp section is not as good as the Move.

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #57 of 917
Got my Move today, what an excellent amp.
I was not prepared for how good it sounds, it is truly an exceptional value.

This will be my travel amp UNTIL I get my Headsix.

Yeh, I am so impressed I ordered the Headsix in silver today. I figure ordering the 2nd day of the offer there should still be some silver ones left. :)

So the stack up is:

Cantate in the" big rig system" : Transporter>Cantate>AKG701

this sits next to my transporter balanced>Rowland balanced>Watt/Puppy.
Listening to the headphone after the speaker rig is NOT a step down. Of course it is different, but it is high praise of the Meir,AKG combo that it compares favorably with my speaker based set up.

It is wonderful that one can get into great sound with headphones for a fraction of the price of a speaker based system.

So the order is:
Transporter>Cantate>AKG701

Move in the bedroom

Headsix for travel.

I have no intention of selling the move, but I might buy another used one for my kid if the price is right :)

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #58 of 917
Noooo, I'm already short $700 what I need for my holiday. I guess I'm back to work on monday, or I could just not come back from my holiday... hmm

Edit: Maybe I'll have to sell the headfive

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #59 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A while back a fellow Head-Fier posted a response from Dr. Meier in which he stated the amp section is not as good as the Move.

Presumably Jan was referring to the fact that the HEADSIX only operates on low current mode and has no crossfeed circuit.

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #60 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by koto-in /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Presumably Jan was referring to the fact that the HEADSIX only operates on low current mode and has no crossfeed circuit.

When the Move came out I exchanged email or PM (can't recall) w/ Dr. Meier. At the time I was asking him if going from a Porta Corda MkIII (amp section only was being compared) would be an improvement. His response was no, that there would be an slight difference in sound but that it was not better.

Now it has been posted here (another head fier) that Dr. Meier has stated that the new Headsix is not better than the Move. Based on that I conclude that at least in Dr. Meier opinion the amp sections of the Move and Porta Corda III are equivalent but of a different flavor, and that both are better than the Headsix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back