The HeadRoom Tours Head-Fi Meets Tour
May 12, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #76 of 153
Ever been to the Seattle area, Tyll?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Seattle, Sat, July 30, day

Edit -- never mind!

May 16, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #78 of 153
Here's the last update before we hit the road.

When last I left you I had built a crate. Here’s a view of the aftermath.
thegarageaftermath.jpg

I was in pretty rough shape, too
friedtyll.jpg

But I wasn’t the only one as we’ll soon see.
Once the crate was done it was time to take the tables to HeadRoom and start building amps and such to put on them. At first, we didn’t have meny front panels or rubber bezels done.
Here’s Joe W. figuring our where everything will go.
tableswaybefore.jpg

Lovingly dubbed the shootout table, you can see our amps are no more than hollow blank aluminum at this point.
shootouttablewaybefore.jpg

There was a lot of work going on in manufacturing however. The next day some micro boards showed up on the table to be installed.
tableofmicroswaybefore.jpg

but that wasn’t all they were doing in back. Mike was building modules.
mikewithhomemodules.jpg

Can you imagine picking away at these parts all day long?
mikeattapereels.jpg

Roger does it, too. Here he is dipping Home DAC boards in the vaporette. (It has 600 degree F vaporous Flourinert in it that melts the solder in an oxygen free environment.
rogermakinghomedacs.jpg

Debbie and Lori (no pic sorry) have been working hard on the through hole side and putting boards up on the shelf. Here’s some desktop amp (left) and hybrid amp (right) main boards.
wipdesktopboards.jpg

Here’s the tube standoff board that goes into the hybrid.
wiptubestandoffs.jpg

May 16, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #79 of 153
But the first time a board goes in an enclosure, it’s Joe W. that gets to wrestle it into the enclosure. Here he is gently tapping threads in the Max Balanced enclosure.
joeassemblingmaxbalanced.jpg

I gotta admit, Joe W. can put some stuff together. Here’s the distribution amp for the shootout table. There’s a bunch of BB OPA627 op-amps in there. boy.
maxmodulesindistributionamps.jpg

He can have his troubles, though. Here he is not so gently pounding on the table saying, “Where’s that screw? Sh!t, sh!t, sh!t, sh!t!”
achoowheresthatscrew.jpg

But he wasn’t the only one having a heck of a time. In fact, he had it easier than most. Here’s Joe C. staring at the new four section vacuum chamber. His mind is saying, “I hope it don’t leak, I hope it don’t leak, I hope it don’t leak.”
joestaringatchamber.jpg

Joe has been struggling with a very small vacuum system. Here he is in pretty good spirits after a good shot.
joeshootingrubber.jpg

But that little chamber just doesn’t cut it for the bigger molds. You see, if you don’t have the whole vacuum mold shooting thing dialed in, you get little bubbles in the bezel. Let me show you.
bezelroundup.jpg

You see that bubble in the closest bezel? That little stack is the complete world supply of desktop bezels. We’re probably not going to be shipping til the beginning of June because we’ve got to finish dialing in the whole mold room. But believe Joe C. and Jamey have been working like dogs on the new chamber.
joeandjameyhookingupvacuum.jpg

Oh. They look like they’re having way too much fun. Let me show you a more typical look from the Joe who’s been around lately.
deepfriedjoe.jpg

See, you can tell he’s a wreck.
Mario, our sales manager was working very hard. “Let me just listen for a few more minutes.” An iRiver digital out into a Max. It may be sacrilege, but it’s damn good sounding sacrilege.
mariolistenstoiriverintomax.jpg

Actually, he’s the poor bugger who has to sort through the headphones and weigh them all for the site. That was a sad job.
mariosortingheadphones.jpg

Once we got all the bezels we were going to get, it was time to bolt everything down to the tables. Well … Andrew kept coming by to take them upstairs for the real photos.
andrewaskswhattheheckarethese.jpg

When he came down for the Millett Hybrid he asked what the glass things were. Kids! Bet, he doesn’t even know what an LP looks like. We had to show him they made lots of tubes back in the day.
lotsoftubes.jpg

May 16, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #80 of 153
Things started to look good by now! Saturday, we had our first look at what the stuff looked like. From the front:
lineuponatable.jpg

and the back:
lineupbacksonatable.jpg

Still not close enough?! Here’s the Desktop Hybrid on top of the Desktop Amp.
desktopampandhybridfront.jpg

And the back.
desktopampandhybridrear.jpg

Here’s a better shot of the Hybrid, just for Nate. BTW, you’ll notice the bubbles in the bezels if you look carefully in these pix.
milletthybridontable.jpg

Here’s the front of the Desktop portable on the Power Supply.
desktopportableonps.jpg

And the rear.
desktopportableandpsrear.jpg

A little more work on Joe W.’s part and thing we starting to shape up. Here he is putting the finishing touches on the shootout table.
shootouttableafter.jpg

Here’s the Desktop table with everything strapped down.
desktoptableafter.jpg

Maybe a couple of close-ups on the wireing would be fun.
dessktopamphookedup.jpg

desktoppshookedup.jpg

And, of course, the portables table.
portabletableafter.jpg

Let’s do some close ups. Look at this cool Coby DVD player. The screen looks like crap for movies, but it’s really a great digital CD player.
microstackcoby.jpg

Here’s the Micro Bag and Micro Stack Bag.
microbags.jpg

Then the Micro DVD Bag.
microdvdbag.jpg

Jeanne would kill me if I didn’t tell you they were all very early prototypes. I don’t know, they look pretty good to me! And here’s the Desktop Portable DVD Bag.
desktopportabledvdbag.jpg

So, there you go, that’s it. Say what! What about the Max prototypes? Well you are going to have to drag the Max Amp out of Mario’s cube.
marioandmax.jpg

And you’ll have to take the Max Balanced away from me in the listening room where I’ve been writing this weekend.
maxbalancedinlisteningroom.jpg

But sadly, you guys get priority, and we had to put the stuff on a table. We’ll hook it up tomorrow.
maxtableafter.jpg

No front or rear panel labling on these guys yet. We just powder coated them black. No worries, one listen and you’ll not be worried about the small stuff. Here’s the rear ot the Max Amp.
maxrear.jpg

Now we’re done. So, tomorrow we pack up. Tuesday morning we start to drive. We’ll see you Detroiters on Friday. Remember to check in on the web site tomorrow night, the new one should be up. I’m looking forward to seeing you all.
Oh, one last thing: Remember! Come to one of the meets, and get a free coffee cup.
coffeecupsa.jpg

May 16, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #81 of 153
wow.
eek.gif

May 16, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #83 of 153
Tyll - the new amps look a LOT...a LOT more "attractive" than the old style. The new Max/Balanced Max is gorgeous. This is not just a good job...this is a Freakin Awesome job!!

You set an example for everyone else to emulate...as usual
wink.gif

The Max had a rugged...heavy and SOLID feel. I wonder how these new amps fare in comparison (just the "feel" of it)

May 16, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #84 of 153
1/4 inch, and an 1/8th, how come I didn't think of that?!? But seriously Tyll, where're these blue and gold LED you've been touting? I'll claim my contest winnings at the bay area meet, can't wait to hear this stuff.

Good to see my new module is in the works...
mikewithhomemodules.jpg

May 16, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #85 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Tyll - the new amps look a LOT...a LOT more "attractive" than the old style. The new Max/Balanced Max is gorgeous. This is not just a good job...this is a Freakin Awesome job!!

You set an example for everyone else to emulate...as usual
wink.gif

The Max had a rugged...heavy and SOLID feel. I wonder how these new amps fare in comparison (just the "feel" of it)

Sorry. No offense at all intended, but I have to reply. HeadRoom amps before were ugly as sin. I still think the new ones look ugly, in a more "Windows-XP-cartoony" way. I have had a great experience with HeadRoom, and have nothing at all against their amps, and I'm sure they sound phenomenal. But I still think they're really ugly. :p

May 16, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #87 of 153
Wow!! What more can you say? I can't wait for this Friday and our Detroit meet!! This is going to be a real treat.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #88 of 153
Thanks:... Tyll and team Headroom! I am looking forward to Friday. If you will be "bring in" any Micro DAC's to sell in Detroit will you take credit cards on the road or should I bring cash?

Great pictures some of them on the last post of yours will not open for me? Never mind they are working now maybe I need another coffee!

May 16, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #89 of 153
ohhhh Free coffee cups? please bring box's of them for me..I mean us, in chicago.

Does it count if I have my doctor there at the meet saying each one of my personalties should each get their own coffee cup?
600smile.gif

that would be a easy 8 cups alone, and I am having free Bacci's pizza and a real live starbucks employee working the meet serving free cappacino's and espresso's for all!

If I need espresso for music you shall all have espresso on me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back