The headphones for movies thread
Sep 29, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #106 of 113
IMO DT770 is an excellent, Youtube, Movie, Netflix headphone, deep bass with reasonable rumble and textures, no upper bass or low mid bloat, creates detachment from bass and vocals, and airy treble creates good atmosphere for people talking in a park or walking in a street with abundent ambient surrounding detail. Also good soundstage for a closed headphone.

Sep 29, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #107 of 113
I don't know whether it is or isn't working directly off the Atmos soundtrack. All you need is a stereo output to output and record a post-decoded Atmos track. I honestly don't know what "order" everything is done in. First does it take the native Atmos soundtrack and headphone-ize it directly, within the Xbox One S, or does it take the 7.1 LPCM tracks the dolby soundtrack gets decoded to and use Dolby Headphones on that? If it's the second, I feel ripped off, because I bought this app to get the best surround sound on my Headphones without having to put up with the hassle of wiring and adjusting a surround sound "box" (don't know what the technical term is) for an asymmetric room where cats roam and like to chew wires and spend thousands of dollars doing it.

Even if the atmos for headphones isnt using the object data(the stmos track instead of the 7.1) it's still probably doing some upmixing, 7.1 to 14.1, and while not discrete data, it can often effectively stear certain effects to height channels or make effects sound bigger/roomier, etc

The term is AVR, audio video receiver, or a pre/pro, an audio processor snd pre-amplifier.

If I can prejudice the results, the difference between Dolby Atmos and DTS is very slight, if any at all. But the difference between the Turtle Beach's X41 decoder, regardless of whether the source material is Dolby Atmos of DTS 7.1 has more extreme Basses (to the point of distortion) extreme trebles, clearly defined mid ranges, and more violent directional differences than the native Dolby Atmos Headphone Xbox One S app, in either Dolby or DTS source material. The Dolby Atmos seems more "centered" both in range and direction. It's like the Turtle Beach X41 decoder is on sonic MSG. It was designed to accurately pinpoint directions and more subtle sound differences are amplified.

Dolby Headphone has some room emulation(i.e. reverb) that I don't think atmos for headphones have, that's probably what your hearing.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #108 of 113
Even if the atmos for headphones isnt using the object data(the stmos track instead of the 7.1) it's still probably doing some upmixing, 7.1 to 14.1, and while not discrete data, it can often effectively stear certain effects to height channels or make effects sound bigger/roomier, etc

The term is AVR, audio video receiver, or a pre/pro, an audio processor snd pre-amplifier.

Dolby Headphone has some room emulation(i.e. reverb) that I don't think atmos for headphones have, that's probably what your hearing.

First about AVR, I know there is more than one type of "advanced audio equipment". For example, there's one special piece of equipment specific to Dolby 5.1 Laser Discs which takes an analog sound groove which replaces the right analog audio track, but is encoded and makes no sense without the decoder, called AC3 RF, and converts that into Dolby Digital 5.1, the exact same standard used in DVDs, with the Toslink or Coaxial output. And yes, if you run this through the middle, in between the LD player and the Headphones, Dolby 5.1 Laser Discs will sound like Dolby 5.1 DVDs, even through Turtle Beach headsets, and Laser Disc is older technology that had a few hacks since 1978.

I knows there's processors, pre amps, (though I wouldn't use those terms until prompted and don't quite understand the difference) and combo units, All I know is that surround sound is an expensive hobby to get into, even if half-assing it. And my long time offline friend and neighbor, Jamal "Zophar321" Nickens, who competed on 2 nationally cable-televised video game game shows/realty shows where the goal was to find the best all-around player, and Triton Gaming Headsets was a sponsor of the second one he was in. I asked him if he could accurately pinpoint direction of sounds in there. And he said yes. I asked if it will work for movies, he didn't know.

Isn't the whole reason to get surround sound equipment is to hear everything all around you? If the answer is yes, (and apparently, some people might disagree) then the equipment that can covey direction best is the better choice for a surround sound? Right?

I find the Turtle Beaches good movie watching sets (assuming your device can convert DTS to Dolby), but I was able to do things with audio information that helped me intercept the "Apple Juice Boss" in Sonic Lost World, and I dodged Goblin clubs in Breath of the Wild by hearing both where and when they were striking from when running away and they were off-screen behind the camera. And BOTW doesn't use a proper Dolby or DTS track. It has a specially mixed headphone track that sounds 3D. It may not sound subtle, but it gets results

And I know enough to know LCPM 5.1 does NOT fit along Toslink bandwidths. Therefore, if my headphone gets surround sound from a DTS 7.1 movie on my Xbox One S, the only input is Toslink, and LCPM doesn't fit beyond 2.0 along Toslink, then an Xbox One converts DTS into Dolby before sending it down the Tolsink line.

And yes, in Turtle Beach promotional videos, they say they use reverb to simulate 3D with 2 headphone speakers. As to why there was no room emulation in Dolby Atmos Headphone app, what's the point of that? Isn't the whole point of Dolby Atmos Headphones to hear in 3 dimensions?

Sep 29, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #109 of 113
By the way, my X41 cost $120 new in 2010. Then I bought 2 X42s for $50 a piece in 2013. All 3 cost less than one surround sound box, and that doesn't include speakers, or speaker wires, or labor in adjusting the box for the room. And if you saw my room, you'd see headphones is the best solution for my room.

The only problem is DTS movies don't sound right, anything from 2 track 1 dimensional soundtrack to silence.

Does anyone know of any external DTS 7.1-> Dolby 7.1 converters, kind of like on the Xbox One and Xbox 360 and PS3? One with Toslink out?

How about LPCM 7.1-> Dolby 7.1 converters?

Sep 29, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #110 of 113
And if you saw my room, you'd see headphones is the best solution for my room.

I managed to get a 9.1 system to work in an 11' x 14' room with a standard closet and a bathroom xD the headphone systems in the same room, i like having both =p As crazy as my virtual system is it still can't compare to the size and space of a real system, maybe if I had a realiser or custom measurement... idk the headphone systems way more detailed and tonally pleasing though.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pic...-post-them-here.397869/page-697#post-14502864

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #111 of 113
I've been using headphones for movies for years, I also have 5.1 speakers but when it's late and I don't want to bother I use headphones. My experience has told me: 1 ... there are no cinema-specific headphones. 2 ... it is a mistake to use a stereo amplifier I have a Denon Avc A1D receiver with a headphone jack, it has several very slick DSPs. Any conventional headphone with a stereo amplifier makes the voices direct, tiring. Instead a receiver with its dsp converts any headphone into a surround system. It is not as effective as a 5.1 but it is well done. I use an Akg K-712, I prefer dynamic headphones because they have more layers of sound and are not usually fatiguing. As a source I use an Oppo 93 and Amazon Prime tv. The Oppo decodes true hd .... my old Denon doesn't but I prefer to decode with it.

Using dsp with headphones is a bit experimental as they are designed for speakers. Curiously, the one I liked the most was the 5 stereo channels. With this dsp my Akg sunan with an incredible scene. A lot of micro-detail. Rain, wind, rubbing of clothing, breathing, etc. For this, an inexpensive headset can offer you the same as a more expensive one. The important thing is that the receiver is good with headphones and has good dsp that you can use with them. Not all of them allow it. With dolby-headphone or Silent cinema there is only one option, whereas with my Denon I have 7/8 dsp to choose from.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #112 of 113
Long time movie buff here. I am a big fan of AV Receivers, and have owned 2. My first one was a Yamaha RX-V371, that I had for just a few years before it blew up (a faulty capacitor exploded inside it), and then in 2014 I bought a Pioneer VSX-528, that I still have today several years later and it still works a treat. The Yamaha had a nice, natural sound, and I liked the silent cinema thingy, but I always preferred listening in unconverted linear PCM 2 channel stereo, or in direct mode. When I purchase a new headphones, one of the first things I do with them is watch a movie. There are aspects of headphones sound that don't really come through or are not really apparent or obvious until you watch a movie with them. I would recommend planar magnetics for watching movies, simply because to me, they are closer to replicating the sound of speakers, or just the sound of reality, and by that I mean what we hear in our environment with our ears, without wearing headphones. It's the way planar magnetics present sound, when watching an action packed movie with my Fostex TH500RP with lots of audible information going on from left to right or vice versa, sounds just seem to fly in front of and across my face. Then there are the sounds that appear to be physically further away from me, or behind me. When I switch back to my AKG K702 I don't get this experience, I get a vast soundstage but it's inside my head and 2 dimensional in comparison to the TH500RP. 🤷‍♂️

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #113 of 113
I managed to get a 9.1 system to work in an 11' x 14' room with a standard closet and a bathroom xD the headphone systems in the same room, i like having both =p As crazy as my virtual system is it still can't compare to the size and space of a real system, maybe if I had a realiser or custom measurement... idk the headphone systems way more detailed and tonally pleasing though.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pic...-post-them-here.397869/page-697#post-14502864
It's not so much about size as it is about shape. The roof slants from the edge of the house to the center. One side is against the wall with a window the other side has a couple of open spaces for walking through.

Since then I found my Xbox One S has both a built-in Dolby and DTS headphone decoder if you want to pay $15 to $20 for each Brand's decoder.

Now my main problem is having to look at the box to see whether the movie is encoded naturally in Dolby or DTS or occasionally lpcm.

I don't know why XBox doesn't let you select match media so that they'll be movies playing Dolby headphone and DTS movies playing DTS headphone. Both Dolby labs and the owners of the DTS system say that you should keep likes with likes. Dolby doesn't try to decode DTS movies and vice versa.

If that's the case why isn't the Xbox standard "match media type"? I understand you have to pay 20 bucks for each decoder but once you get both, shouldn't match mode be the default instead of assuming you always want Dolby or always want DTS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back