The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
May 12, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #4,908 of 6,326
I'm using the GSX Mk II solely as a preamp in my Hifi setup and it sounds really really good, even as a preamp. I've even compared it to an audio research ref 5SE preamp and while the 5SE was better, the GSX compared very favourably irrespective of the price differential.

My only wish for the GSX as a preamp is for a volume bypass function, but then again, the GSX was primarily made to function as a headphone amp and not as a preamp.

May 12, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #4,909 of 6,326

I have an inventory of assembled GS-X mk2 right now, they just need to be tested before shipping. But there is still a little wait (2-3 weeks) as i have large numbers of BHSEs i'm spending time testing and shipping.

Good news for audiophiles loving high level handmade gear and the GSX-mk2 is this kind of stuff.

I'm used to buy great setup and delays are not really a problem when speaking of craftman carefully made production being DACs, Amps, Cables,...

Quality before speed. Keep your good work Justin.

May 15, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #4,912 of 6,326
  Been a year since I received mine and I can't even ever imagine wanting a different amp.  It's just a clear window into your source.  If you don't like the GS-X mk2, you don't like your source or your headphones.

+1 I feel the same way about my GS-X mk2 after 3 years now, I can't see my view changing anytime soon, I go to head-fi meets on occasion and tryout other amps in stores, still can't find anything equal or better with my ears, it's just a great amp.

May 21, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #4,913 of 6,326
Hello,

Could anyone tell me if the RCA inputs have same SQ as the XLR ?? since I would like to connect an SE DAC from Audiomat, the Tempo 2.8   (french audio craft manufacturer) which builds himself  like Justin his electronics, very analog sounding.

May 21, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #4,914 of 6,326
The GSX-Mk2 is built to squeeze out every bit of potential advantage out of a fully balanced circuit, so using it with a truly balanced source is what it has been designed for. That said, you can try using it's RCA inputs. It will most likely still sound excellent but if you want to push the limits, you are not feeding it "regular" but use "92 octane premium".
wink.gif

May 21, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #4,915 of 6,326
Okay I understand the point of view.

Notice that there are many balanced dacs which perform poorly compared to very well designed SE ones. In high level balanced dacs you need to double the components and prices increase accordingly.

My question was to know if I could connect a very good SE dac instead of a medium level balanced dac at the same price.

May 21, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #4,916 of 6,326
Okay I understand the point of view.

Notice that there are many balanced dacs which perform poorly compared to very well designed SE ones. In high level balanced dacs you need to double the components and prices increase accordingly.

My question was to know if I could connect a very good SE dac instead of a medium level balanced dac at the same price.

The answer is, yes, it would be preferable to choose a very good SE dac over a mediocre balanced dac. I would choose a dac by reference to its sound quality, not whether it is balanced or single ended. I have used my GS-X Mk II with both balanced and single ended sources. It sounds amazing with either. Use the best quality source you can find, and if that happens to be single ended, so be it.

May 22, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #4,917 of 6,326
If someone could confirm the gain switch for me it would be much appreciated. I've always thought the gain switch was used for low or high impedance phones to give you more volume leeway which up until now it's been set on medium, however I've had the HD800 S for a few days now and I don't know if I'm imagining "Placebo" but the HD800 S sounds quite better set on high gain

May 23, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #4,918 of 6,326
Good news Ross. Will buy the SE dac.

Gandah, switches are not relative to impedances but to voltage. The HD800S performs better on M or H positions.

Official values from HeadAmp: 23Vpp/100 ohms, 21Vpp/25 ohms, 16Vpp/10 ohms. All doubled using balanced outputs.

May 25, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,920 of 6,326
The front panels are user-replaceable.  That said, I'm not sure if Justin sells panels only.  You can ask him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back