The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
May 29, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #4,923 of 6,342
I'm considering the gsx mk2 for my chord Hugo TT running xlr dhc chaparone 3 line out interconnect. But I'm still a little Confused using the TT as a dac, as isn't it just an se output and wouldn't I still run se 1/4 output to my hd800S. I presently have a dhc c4 cable se that I really like and have no problem running se. Do I have the option of running balanced out from my mk2 using TT? The hd800S works well with mk2 by reading posts?
Lastly I'm not sure if dact step attenuation is necessary? Especially considering se hp. I also have th900 with cable upgrade that's se 1/4, however the 900 is easy to scale and sounds fine through my hpa8.
Im all about transparency and that has got me interested in mk2

One final question if one uses xlr balanced out left and right connections from Hugo TT to mk2, is it An issue using the 1/4 inch hp output?

Or do I use RCA cable connections for an unbalanced output from TT if I'm using 1/4 hp

May 29, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #4,924 of 6,342
I'm considering the gsx mk2 for my chord Hugo TT running xlr dhc chaparone 3 line out interconnect. But I'm still a little Confused using the TT as a dac, as isn't it just an se output and wouldn't I still run se 1/4 output to my hd800S. I presently have a dhc c4 cable se that I really like and have no problem running se. Do I have the option of running balanced out from my mk2 using TT? The hd800S works well with mk2 by reading posts?
Lastly I'm not sure if dact step attenuation is necessary? Especially considering se hp. I also have th900 with cable upgrade that's se 1/4, however the 900 is easy to scale and sounds fine through my hpa8.

One final question if one uses xlr balanced out left and right connections from Hugo TT to mk2, is it An issue using the 1/4 inch hp output?

Or do I use RCA cable connections for an unbalanced output from TT if I'm using 1/4 hp

Chord Hugo TT is a balanced dac as far as I know, so run xlr out to gsx and use the 4pin xlr cable that came with your HD800 S. The TH900 doesn't improve any with a balanced cable so run it SE out of the gsx.

You can also run HD800 S SE out of gsx but why would you when you already have a balanced cable, plus HD800 S sounds better balanced.

No need to run RCA cable, SE headphones are still SE even when using balanced xlr between dac and amp

May 30, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #4,925 of 6,342

Chord Hugo TT is a balanced dac as far as I know, so run xlr out to gsx and use the 4pin xlr cable that came with your HD800 S. The TH900 doesn't improve any with a balanced cable so run it SE out of the gsx.

You can also run HD800 S SE out of gsx but why would you when you already have a balanced cable, plus HD800 S sounds better balanced.

No need to run RCA cable, SE headphones are still SE even when using balanced xlr between dac and amp

Thanks Mac hero and gandah. I guess when I receive these products I'll find out for sure this balanced unbalanced thing, as initially I hand not planed on amping and went for se cable upgrade for direct to my TT, which I like. Now with xlr out I can truly a/b se versus balanced. If I like balanced more I will send Peter from double helix a note to see if he can make an adapter or I'll have to get him to modify my existing se cable to be balanced.

May 30, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #4,926 of 6,342

This is true. I have an RCA connecting my Gumby and GS-X mk2. It does not get any use, even when I am driving SE headphones or my speaker system. I stick with the balanced connection and allow the GS-X mk2 to do the summing (which would otherwise take place in Gumby.)

May 31, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #4,928 of 6,342
All paid for GS-X mk2 are being finished right now. If i sent you a payment request last night, please send payment in the next week to be included in this batch

Awesome Justin! It's so glad to hear this update. Can't wait to receive the postage confirmation 1-2 weeks after.

May 31, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #4,929 of 6,342
I will be in on the next batch :beerchug:

May 31, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #4,930 of 6,342
I will be in on the next batch
beerchug.gif

Congrats! You will be very impressed with this amp paired with your TT!

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #4,931 of 6,342
Has anyone directly compared it to Auralic's Taurus Mk2? This review's measurements seem to suggest it's not that different from the GS-X Mk2... "straight wire with gain"

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/headphone-amplifier/auralic-taurus-mkii-balanced-headphone-amp-review/

It's often said to be (too?) bright as well, especially by those preferring the somewhat warmer V281...

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #4,932 of 6,342
Has anyone directly compared it to Auralic's Taurus Mk2? This review's measurements seem to suggest it's not that different from the GS-X Mk2... "straight wire with gain"

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/headphone-amplifier/auralic-taurus-mkii-balanced-headphone-amp-review/

It's often said to be (too?) bright as well, especially by those preferring the somewhat warmer V281...

With $4000 RCA cables, I hear no differences in tonality between my Chord Hugo and Chord Hugo + Taurus MKII when using the HD 650. So the Taurus MKII is a neutral amp.

I think people who call the Taurus MKII bright are simply listening to amplifiers that are not neutral in comparison (like the V281 for example).

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #4,933 of 6,342

With $4000 RCA cables, I hear no differences in tonality between my Chord Hugo and Chord Hugo + Taurus MKII when using the HD 650. So the Taurus MKII a very neutral amp.

I think people who call the Taurus MKII bright are simply listening to amplifier that are not neutral (like the V281 for example).

Depends on how you define "neutral". I owe the V281 and I'm the previous owner of Taurus MK2. The V281 to me is very neutral, but its treble is a bit dark to my taste, and with its warm sounding signature, I feel like losing details sometimes. It pairs very very well with some bright headphones like HD800 and Ether. 

The Taurus MK2, sound signature is similar to the GSX MK2. Treble is very transparent and this signature pairs with bright headphones can sometimes cause people feel fatigue, what you call "bright". But details, transparency and speed imo Taurus is no match to the GSX MK2. The treble of GSX is also smoother than the Taurus. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #4,934 of 6,342
  Depends on how you define "neutral". I owe the V281 and I'm the previous owner of Taurus MK2. The V281 to me is very neutral, but its treble is a bit dark to my taste, and with its warm sounding signature, I feel like losing details sometimes. It pairs very very well with some bright headphones like HD800 and Ether. 

The Taurus MK2, sound signature is similar to the GSX MK2. Treble is very transparent and this signature pairs with bright headphones can sometimes cause people feel fatigue, what you call "bright". But details, transparency and speed imo Taurus is no match to the GSX MK2. The treble of GSX is also smoother than the Taurus. 

You lost me.  I expect it's a vocabulary / nomenclature issue but....ya lost me.

HS

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #4,935 of 6,342

As an owner of both the Taurus Mk 2 and the GS-X Mk 2, I agree with these comments completely. Both are very transparent, neither are bright, but the GS-X Mk 2 is the better amplifier and worth the difference in price. That said, at its price, the Taurus is also outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back