The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jun 2, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #4,936 of 6,342
I only auditioned the Taurus in my system for a couple days, but it's more similar sounding to the GS-1 than the GS-X.  That's still a complement.  The GS-1 with the Dynalo+ modules is probably still today the best single-ended SS amplifier around.

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #4,938 of 6,342
  Sounds like someone would want a limited edition GS-1 mk2 if i could get enough parts for it

The GS-1 is an amazing amp.  I'm going to keep mine for a long time despite also owning the GS-X mk2.  I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from buying an updated version.

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #4,940 of 6,342
Sounds like someone would want a limited edition GS-1 mk2 if i could get enough parts for it

This would further the se versus balanced quandary. I'd be stumped to make a decision except gsx mk2 can't hurt se believers or users.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #4,941 of 6,342

Yes, Justin...let's do it.  Your GS-1 with Dynalo + module still compete very well at the very top. I got lucky and was able to land one recently and it bested the Liquid Carbon handily.  

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #4,942 of 6,342
  Yes, Justin...let's do it.  Your GS-1 with Dynalo + module still compete very well at the very top. I got lucky and was able to land one recently and it bested the Liquid Carbon handily.  

I just ordered a GS-Xmk2 ( luckily I made this shipping batch
smile.gif
) and I own the GS-1 w/Dynalo+ and DACT which I was going to put up F/S when I received the mk2…but I think I'm going to put it back in the box and build another system with it.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #4,943 of 6,342
Excellent choice!

I've created a second system in my living room using a raspberry pi and roon.  SPDIF out of the raspberry pi (with an addon board) into my vintage R2R DAC, then into the GS-1.  It sounds so much better than it should.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #4,944 of 6,342
  Excellent choice!

I've created a second system in my living room using a raspberry pi and roon.  SPDIF out of the raspberry pi (with an addon board) into my vintage R2R DAC, then into the GS-1.  It sounds so much better than it should.

Thank you.
+1 on your second set up!
I figured why sell the GS-1 being I also have a Meridian 203 DAC (bought new) and I happen to love its sound, so I'll pair it with the MBP>GS-1 sometime in the future…or maybe even as a desktop set up.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #4,945 of 6,342
  Thank you.
+1 on your second set up!
I figured why sell the GS-1 being I also have a Meridian 203 DAC (bought new) and I happen to love its sound, so I'll pair it with the MBP>GS-1 sometime in the future…or maybe even as a desktop set up.

I decide to use my newly acquired GS-1 + Dynalo + module at work with my HD800.  Source is my Sony PHA-3.  I went back and forth with several  rigs at work including the HDVD-800 but the GS-1 + PHA3 is pretty much almost as good for less money.  

I no longer have the GSX MKII and often wonder if anyone can detect any difference between the GSX MKII in SE vs GS-1.  Would appreciate your guys take on the two if you have both.  Honestly, I really think that there is a market for another round of GS-1 especially those who needs a second or work system.  Maybe a GS-1 with a build-in DAC?

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #4,946 of 6,342
  I decide to use my newly acquired GS-1 + Dynalo + module at work with my HD800.  Source is my Sony PHA-3.  I went back and forth with several  rigs at work including the HDVD-800 but the GS-1 + PHA3 is pretty much almost as good for less money.  

I no longer have the GSX MKII and often wonder if anyone can detect any difference between the GSX MKII in SE vs GS-1.  Would appreciate your guys take on the two if you have both.  Honestly, I really think that there is a market for another round of GS-1 especially those who needs a second or work system.  Maybe a GS-1 with a build-in DAC?

The reason I purchased the mk2 (not here yet) is to run a fully balanced system, and for the future when I want to hear HP's that which come with balanced cables and require more power and some say sound much better than SE. When I receive the mk2 I'll post my impressions between both. I plan on borrowing the HE1K (again) and the Aybss 1260 and the HD-800S from TCC loaner program to hear how they sound balanced with the mk2 compared to the GS-1/SE. I also intend to balance my PS1K and RS1i and possibly my GH1 (I know) there may not be a difference with these HP's but I want to use the mk2 to its fullest potential and I'm going to start with the PS1K first and take it from there. Even if their is a small increase with these HP's running fully balanced, I'll take it! 
smile.gif

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #4,948 of 6,342

Agree that it isn't obvious hearing a sound difference between GSX-mk2 in SE mode and balanced mode. If the DAC is SE and sounds much better than a balanced DAC, then the headphones being SE or balanced should not sound better in either mode.
Using the mk2 in balanced mode I see an interest in the output power which is doubled for hard to drive headphones.

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #4,949 of 6,342

Agree that it isn't obvious hearing a sound difference between GSX-mk2 in SE mode and balanced mode. If the DAC is SE and sounds much better than a balanced DAC, then the headphones being SE or balanced should not sound better in either mode.
Using the mk2 in balanced mode I see an interest in the output power which is doubled for hard to drive headphones.

This is actually good to hear in my case. Although with hd800S it will be fun to see what my TT does through mk2 either way.

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #4,950 of 6,342

I'm going to be using a fully balanced DAC as well (PWD-ll/Bridge-ll with JRiver MC21) so I hope to hear a difference. 
I've never heard a fully balanced system beside my 009 which I have no choice due to my KGST having only balanced inputs, so I can't even compare balanced/SE with the 009. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back