The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jun 3, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #4,951 of 6,345
I sought out and was fortunate to acquire a prestine GS-1 Dynalo+ a few months back.  The plan was to use it with my TH900's and Ygg.  I had laid down my HD650's for a long while, favoring the TH900's with my other amp.  

The HD650's proved so enjoyable out of the GS-1 that I have been listening to them a lot again and even had a nice cable made for them recently.

This amp punches well beyond it's weight IMO.

HS

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #4,953 of 6,345
  I sought out and was fortunate to acquire a prestine GS-1 Dynalo+ a few months back.  The plan was to use it with my TH900's and Ygg.  I had laid down my HD650's for a long while, favoring the TH900's with my other amp.  

The HD650's proved so enjoyable out of the GS-1 that I have been listening to them a lot again and even had a nice cable made for them recently.

This amp punches well beyond it's weight IMO.

HS

HD650 is such an amazing headphone it really is a top tier, forget about the price the SQ is way beyond that, which sounds like GS-1 is similar in that respect.

I sold the TH900s because for what I mainly listen too the HD650 is superior
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #4,954 of 6,345
  HD650 is such an amazing headphone it really is a top tier, forget about the price the SQ is way beyond that, which sounds like GS-1 is similar in that respect.

I sold the TH900s because for what I mainly listen too the HD650 is superior
biggrin.gif

I'd have a hard time parting with the TH900's.  They are a bit too peaky on the GS-1 for me, but I enjoy them very much out of the WA7 tube amp I upgraded.  I like that pairing as much as my e-stat rig.

HS

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #4,955 of 6,345
When you are balanced from end to end, it does make a difference with the HD800 IMO. The sound becomes very easy; there is enough power for the HD800 to do what it is capable of doing.

Not a great description, I admit, but that is really how I hear it. Everything is smooth and effortless.  

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #4,956 of 6,345
  When you are balanced from end to end, it does make a difference with the HD800 IMO. The sound becomes very easy; there is enough power for the HD800 to do what it is capable of doing.

Not a great description, I admit, but that is really how I hear it. Everything is smooth and effortless.  

+1 on this. I first had my HD800 connected to the headphone output of my e20 DAC using the orig. single ended cable. Then I got a First Watt M2 and DIY'd some balanced cables to use with my Norne Vanquish with 2x 3pin XLRs for the HD800. And finally I got the GSX-Mk2
biggrin.gif
. It was a clear improvement in every step and the HD800 was never the limiting factor. I am not sure if the is still more potential in these headphones than what's being unlocked by the GSX-Mk2 but I am enjoying listening every time. I have this combination for 3 weeks shy of 1 year now and I am not looking for any other amp.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #4,957 of 6,345

+1 on this. I first had my HD800 connected to the headphone output of my e20 DAC using the orig. single ended cable. Then I got a First Watt M2 and DIY'd some balanced cables to use with my Norne Vanquish with 2x 3pin XLRs for the HD800. And finally I got the GSX-Mk2
biggrin.gif
. It was a clear improvement in every step and the HD800 was never the limiting factor. I am not sure if the is still more potential in these headphones than what's being unlocked by the GSX-Mk2 but I am enjoying listening every time. I have this combination for 3 weeks shy of 1 year now and I am not looking for any other amp.

+2 I'm with you both....... maybe power filtering or even regenerated power could improve the 800s

I'm actually considering getting the Little Dot VI+ balanced amp, using it as a pre-amp to the GSX and rolling some tubes. I really don't know that much about to be totally honest, but I'm looking forward to the journey

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #4,958 of 6,345
I use a regulated transformer to keep the voltage decently stable but no fancy high-fi stuff, just a basic utility version.
A little oversized I have to admit, 5000W
wink.gif
I have other interests than high-fi, so no money that burns holes in my pockets. And I still listen to music and not the equipment
biggrin.gif
For sure the external psu of the GSX-Mk2 is good enough to supply the amp with decent power. I have never been able to hear any effects when the AC is kicking in or shutting off which makes the lights go dim in my home but there is no effect that I can perceive on the audio set up. Maybe the regulated transformer is doing a good job in that respect.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #4,959 of 6,345
Linear power supply is a nice concept and associated protection in surge and such is also prudent. But sonically there is no effect. I have a simple furman linear conditioner but I have no illusions as to why I have it. Insurance purposes not for sonic detail. High quality interconnects and hp cables are a better enhancement in that regard.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #4,960 of 6,345
Linear power supply is a nice concept and associated protection in surge and such is also prudent. But sonically there is no effect. I have a simple furman linear conditioner but I have no illusions as to why I have it. Insurance purposes not for sonic detail. High quality interconnects and hp cables are a better enhancement in that regard.

I use a UPS because our power is so unpredictable in our zone, the thing goes off all the time
angry_face.gif

I can't say if power conditioners or regeneraters actually work because I've never used one, but Amos aka Currawong in some of his reviews says they do make a audible difference. So I still unsure....

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #4,962 of 6,345

There are plenty of amps still being made with unregulated power supplies, so i could see benefit in regulating your AC line voltage

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jun 7, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #4,963 of 6,345

There are plenty of amps still being made with unregulated power supplies, so i could see benefit in regulating your AC line voltage

Absolutely, thats why i have a linear power conditioners with surge and other protection. Im just saying in my tests I didn't notice any sonic variances or in my monitors, any enhanced perceived visuals. Maybe other folks with other conditioners do. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #4,964 of 6,345
Since we are on the subject of power conditioning, can anyone advise if it's possible to resolve a mains line grounding issue externally from the wall socket? Think the power from my wall socket/mains is not properly grounded as I can minor shocks when touching the metal parts of my gear. Not very pleasant experience and not very safe when listening as well.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #4,965 of 6,345
Since we are on the subject of power conditioning, can anyone advise if it's possible to resolve a mains line grounding issue externally from the wall socket? Think the power from my wall socket/mains is not properly grounded as I can minor shocks when touching the metal parts of my gear. Not very pleasant experience and not very safe when listening as well.

There is a device which you can test whether your socket is grounded. A digital voltmeter. Granted fixing it is a more problematic issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back