The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Aug 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #3,616 of 6,326
  Guys, need some help, how good will the GS-X mk 2 sound from a chord hugo and using HD800 balanced?  Also what would be a reasonanle price for a 2 week old unit that was ordered 14 months ago?  Anyone know what price it was being sold at 14months ago with the alpha pot?

The Hugo isn't a balanced DAC, so I'd look for another source.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #3,617 of 6,326
Can someone explain the different technical specifications when comparing the GS-X Mk2 and the Schitt Ragnarok? I also read that the Schiit Ragnarok has a 64 stepped attentuator. Does that mean that the Ragnarok will have better channel tracking than GS-X Mk2's Dact stepped attentuator? 

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #3,618 of 6,326
Can someone explain the different technical specifications when comparing the GS-X Mk2 and the Schitt Ragnarok? I also read that the Schiit Ragnarok has a 64 stepped attentuator. Does that mean that the Ragnarok will have better channel tracking than GS-X Mk2's Dact stepped attentuator? 

It will have greater range than the GS-x. Though you should be able to fine tune to get the right volume by playing with the gain settings.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #3,619 of 6,326
  Guys, need some help, how good will the GS-X mk 2 sound from a chord hugo and using HD800 balanced?  Also what would be a reasonanle price for a 2 week old unit that was ordered 14 months ago?

Used GS-X mk2 sell for the same price as new.

Hugo isn't balanced so while you can use the balanced connector on the GS-X mk2 but it won't be balanced.

Unless I read wrong Justin does not have all the parts for the next run, he has some parts.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #3,620 of 6,326
Unless I read wrong Justin does not have all the parts for the next run, he has some parts.

Justin mentioned earlier all pending and future orders will be in this next batch and he started working on them already. But you are right he may or may not have all parts. My point is that it certainly won't be as bad a wait as the last batch. (Touchwood!)

just wanted to update everyone and mention that the current batch has been completely shipped, with the exception of 2 amps that are waiting for payment. i will hold those for a few more weeks and if not paid for i will contact the next people who are in line 

assembly has started on the next batch which will be for all pending and future orders

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #3,622 of 6,326
I believe you just doomed this run to hit snags.  Best go find some wood and knock on it :wink:

Lol.. fix that for ya mate!

I had been struggling between this, Rag, and LAu (since they price it down) for sometime. Too bad big heavy desktop amp is a bit hard to sell here unlike portable gears where I can just buy and keep the ones I really like without losing much....

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #3,623 of 6,326
After the LF I had zero interest in the LAu.  Cavalli products just aren't priced competitively.  HeadAmp and Schiit though provide very high performance for the price.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #3,624 of 6,326
  Guys, need some help, how good will the GS-X mk 2 sound from a chord hugo and using HD800 balanced?  Also what would be a reasonanle price for a 2 week old unit that was ordered 14 months ago?  Anyone know what price it was being sold at 14months ago with the alpha pot?

While I have not heard the Chord Hugo I would recommend looking into alternative DACs if you do not need a portable.

Used GS-X's do not come up for sale very often and the wait for one when purchasing new is not insignificant.  Chances are if the seller is not charging over the "msrp" and the amp is listed in a public forum then it will sell pretty quickly.  Not to pressure you or anything but if you are the type to hem and haw over this type of purchase I'm certain someone else will jump on it in a heartbeat.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3,625 of 6,326

While I have not heard the Chord Hugo I would recommend looking into alternative DACs if you do not need a portable.

Used GS-X's do not come up for sale very often and the wait for one when purchasing new is not insignificant.  Chances are if the seller is not charging over the "msrp" and the amp is listed in a public forum then it will sell pretty quickly.  Not to pressure you or anything but if you are the type to hem and haw over this type of purchase I'm certain someone else will jump on it in a heartbeat.

Yep. Don't use the GS-X with a portable DAC, or an unbalanced DAC...because, why? And asking for reassurances on a forum is an almost sure-fire sign you'd lose out on a deal to more decisive buyers. Scare resource here. Sorry 
smile.gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #3,626 of 6,326
Too bad big heavy desktop amp is a bit hard to sell here unlike portable gears where I can just buy and keep the ones I really like without losing much....

if you go back as far as 2003-2005, people are selling HeadAmp products for more than they originally paid, maybe the only loss being inflation. I consider that a good thing as low used sale prices pretty much mark the end of a product

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 21, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #3,627 of 6,326
Picked up a GS-X MK2 DACT the other day and all I can say is I'm very pleased. Went in to A2A to buy a Taurus pre, when they told me they had this in stock I couldn't pass it up.
Performs excellently as a pre amp which is its main purpose in my system, but as a nice surprise it pairs well with the AB-1266, plenty of micro detail, crisp imaging and the texture rendering is among the best I've heard. A nice alternative to my WA5 depending on my mood :D

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #3,628 of 6,326
if you go back as far as 2003-2005, people are selling HeadAmp products for more than they originally paid, maybe the only loss being inflation. I consider that a good thing as low used sale prices pretty much mark the end of a product

Yes Justin. Headamp products are great in retaining value. I was strictly referring to the general used headfi market in Hong Kong where most enthusiasts are desk/rack space challenged and a city commute lifestyle dictate more demand for portable gears.

FWIW the surface area in our apartment that is required for the gsx2 (even if stacked) in average would probably be more expensive than the gsx2 itself with property prices avg about 1k per sq ft. (newer properties in better locations are more like 3k+...)

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #3,629 of 6,326
Mabey ive missed it in the past comments but has anyone tried the gs-x mk2 with the oppo pm-1?? I feel that if the amp does well in texturing the details and with transparency it would compliment the oppos quite nicely because those may be some of its weaker points (based on reviews and impressions as i have not heard either)

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #3,630 of 6,326
Gotta say I'm loving the HD800/GS-X pairing.  I'd say the HD800 is now neck-and-neck with the LCD-3, which is surprising since they have such different sound signatures and I've always strongly preferred the LCD-3 until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back