The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Aug 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #3,451 of 6,326
  Oh, and then there's this gorgeous pic that made me drool ... 
tongue_smile.gif

I may have missed it, but have you considered the Master 9?

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #3,452 of 6,326
Oh, and then there's this gorgeous pic that made me drool ... :tongue_smile:

I'm. Totally waiting for Justin to calm down with the gsx.... Then I'm gonna ask if he has extra red panels.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #3,453 of 6,326

Definitely one of the 4 amps still on my radar. But half a year to a year before you actually get it at the moment? Or did I understand that wrong?

No that's about right, give or take 6 month
wink.gif

[...]

I suppose 1 year +/- 6 months is a good estimate that would cover most scenarios already experienced and forecasted for the GS-X mk2. (The BHSE is an other cup of tea I believe.) It's possible that some early customers for the first batch waited longer, but I don't know the details of that batch. At least some of that may have happened before this thread was started.

I believe my recent post #3425 sums it up rather nicely as noone has corrected anything.

I don't believe Justin Wilson or anybody else have written anything about what the (initial) last order date for the 2014 batch is. Hence we don't know which orders/customers are included in that batch and which have to wait for the next. I believe the planned amount was 30. approximately the same as batch 1 and half the 2013 batch.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #3,454 of 6,326
there is no last order date for the 2014 batch as it is not yet sold out. 

currently..
- the enclosure parts are being powder coated, should be ready for pick up in 1 or 2 weeks
- the circuit board assembly will be completed in about 3 weeks
- the front panels are being machined now

i would estimate this batch will be ready in about 3-4 months

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #3,457 of 6,326

I suppose 1 year +/- 6 months is a good estimate that would cover most scenarios already experienced and forecasted for the GS-X mk2. (The BHSE is an other cup of tea I believe.) It's possible that some early customers for the first batch waited longer, but I don't know the details of that batch. At least some of that may have happened before this thread was started.

I believe my recent post #3425 sums it up rather nicely as noone has corrected anything.

I don't believe Justin Wilson or anybody else have written anything about what the (initial) last order date for the 2014 batch is. Hence we don't know which orders/customers are included in that batch and which have to wait for the next. I believe the planned amount was 30. approximately the same as batch 1 and half the 2013 batch.

Hey CDWM how's your GS-X tracking?

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3,458 of 6,326
Thanks, I hadn't read that post yet, good info. But reading further in the thread made me re-add the Bakoon HDA-5210mk3 to my list. (the post was about the Bakoon HPA-21 though, but from all I have been reading the Japanese amp should be better for my phones).
DSG already gave me some good info here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632948/the-headamp-gs-x-and-gs-x-mk2-thread/3405#post_10753582

Thanks, I had already read that one though.
But his comparison with the Woo applies only for the HE-6. At the end of the comparison part he mentions that the GSX shines with all other cans.
That's a bit the problem I encounter whenever I search for comparisons on these amps, they are always tested with a HE-6, LCD or HD-800 and the phones I use are on the opposite side of the spectrum. I did find impressions on them with the TH-900 though, but never a comparison.

To recap my findings so far:
- Headamp GS-X MKII: 
  Advantages: about the best SS amp around, pairs very nicely with TH-900.
  My worries: maybe more on the analytical side of neutral, too clean for me?
- Woo Audio WA5:
  Advantages: Top tube amp, pairs well with the TH-900 as well, more to the euphonic side of neutral.
  My worries: maybe background noise due to being too powerful for the TH-900?
- Bakoon HDA-5210mk3: 
  Advantages: always described as very good with TH-900, black background, warm mids, more euphonic than the others.  
  My worries: probably not on the same level of the GSX or WA5.
  I don't need the most juicy amp though, just want the best quality and matching with my kind of phones.

Decisions, decisions, ...  :wink_face:

Might want to look at one of the EC amps as well. Sorry to make list longer.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #3,459 of 6,326
...And the DNA Stratus as well. I've seen a lot of posts from people who say the TH900 and Stratus are a very good match.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #3,460 of 6,326
  ...And the DNA Stratus as well. I've seen a lot of posts from people who say the TH900 and Stratus are a very good match.

True.

I will say it is nice not to have to deal with tubes and the GSX has a natural non-SS sound.  Personally I consider the GSX a great reference amp as it works with a variety of phones.  Once you get used to the sound on GSX, you will probably be in better position to judge other amps.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #3,461 of 6,326
  there is no last order date for the 2014 batch as it is not yet sold out

OK you got me. Added myself to the list.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #3,463 of 6,326
Although I sold the GS-Xmk2 I had a couple of months ago, this wasn't because I was in anyway disappointed in that amp, in fact If anything I was extremely happy with it, but because I find the 009 / BHSE so good the GS-X wasn't getting much use.
The point I'm getting at is to those that's received and are receiving the GS-Xmk2 should be very happy with it.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #3,464 of 6,326
Originally Posted by aive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]

Hey CDWM how's your GS-X tracking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDWMcInSpots /img/forum/go_quote.gif 7/31/14 at 5:08pm
[...]
Extract Norway Post Tracking shows:
  1. [...]
  2. Wednesday 2014-07-30 morning Package is in customs clearance and is temporarily in storage 0024 OSLO
[...]
  1. At the moment the package is stuck somewhere in import processing. I hope Justin Wilson has provided the necessary, thorough information in an easily accessible and understandable manner.
[...]

I didn't plan to write anything more after the above because the rest will be specific to Norway and/or my case, and hence not of much use to the rest of the world. There's a parallell to the package addressed to mp101 in "Kent, England, UK" which arrived at "her majesty's customs" on 28 July.

The generally interesting information is about transport time from departure from HeadAmp in Virginia USA to arrival at an import centre in the destination country for different parts of the world and different transportation methods/products/companies.

I received a letter a day or two later asking for some information incl. invoice/receipt. I was somewhat surprised because I had hoped the necessary information would follow the package. This is a first for me.

I have to choose whether I do (some of) the paperwork myself or let Norway Post do it. There's a price difference. I've been busy with some other things though.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #3,465 of 6,326
Thanks to all that gave me some help in the thread.
I am not considering the Master 9 though and I did own a ZDSE (custom balanced) before.
The ZDSE had the best sound I heard and I did have quite a few great amps at the time. I just don't think it would be the best match for a TH-900.

I do however wonder if anyone has heard a GS-X as well as a Luxman amp (P-1, P-1u or P-700u)?
Would be nice as I owned a P-1u for a few years and am familiar with the sound.

Quote:
  there is no last order date for the 2014 batch as it is not yet sold out. 

currently..
- the enclosure parts are being powder coated, should be ready for pick up in 1 or 2 weeks
- the circuit board assembly will be completed in about 3 weeks
- the front panels are being machined now

Thanks for letting me know Justin, great news!
I'm just gathering a little more info but I must say my mind is almost set on the GS-X.
So good chance I'll drop you mail for an order in the next two days.

incoming shipment today of front panel samples to make sure they are correct..

Red still an option? 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back