The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #3,466 of 6,326
Decided!  
smile.gif

Will be mailing Justin tomorrow, for now, it's nusic listening time!

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #3,470 of 6,326
I don't know if this is common situation. A quite loud humming happens when the1964-V6 are plugged to GS-X immediately without turning the volume up at low gain. I also can hear a noticeable humming with Sennheiser HD540 gold at high gain. The problem is still there at mid gain but at least much better.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #3,472 of 6,326
I don't know if this is common situation. A quite loud humming happens when the1964-V6 are plugged to GS-X immediately without turning the volume up at low gain. I also can hear a noticeable humming with Sennheiser HD540 gold at high gain. The problem is still there at mid gain but at least much better.

This is not common.  As Maxvla said, is your GSX stacked.  If so, then don't do it.  Although I have run them stacked and didn't hear the hum.  Anything else near by that could be putting out a lot of RFI.  Try changing input cables too.  Or something could be wrong with your GSX.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #3,473 of 6,326

This is not common.  As Maxvla said, is your GSX stacked.  If so, then don't do it.  Although I have run them stacked and didn't hear the hum.  Anything else near by that could be putting out a lot of RFI.  Try changing input cables too.  Or something could be wrong with your GSX.

Could also be USB noise bleed from a laptop/PC. I'd unplug the USB to a computer if you could.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #3,474 of 6,326

Could also be USB noise bleed from a laptop/PC. I'd unplug the USB to a computer if you could.

This is not the same noise that you'd get from a laptop.  Hum is 60Hz AC wave.  It's related to the toroid giving off magnetic field.  Is the chassis fully metallic and grounded?  Somehow, the this hum is bleeding to the amp. An iem as sensitive as the V6 will pick it up easily.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #3,475 of 6,326
Is your GS-X pair stacked?

Yes, it is stacked. I am going to change the power cable and input cables tonight to see what causes the humming.

There is another amp, ECP Black Diamond, connects to the same DAC and is dead silent even with sensitive IEMs plugged. So I think the source should be fine and this problem is not resulted by the USB or the laptop.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #3,476 of 6,326
the problem is the stacking of the amp directly on top of the power supply. to get the advantage of the separate units, they should be placed side by side or on separate shelves

From the manual:

Position the Power Supply and Amplifier boxes side by side or on different shelves of a rack with proper ventilation. Stacking the amplifier on top of the power supply is not recommended as it will increase the noise floor and block the power supply ventilation. Never stack the power supply on top of the amplifier as ventilation of the amplifier is even more important.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 5, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #3,477 of 6,326
I have decided to take this all to heart, especially since I will be using the GS-X mk2 in part with some very sensitive dynamic IEMs (FAD 1601SC, 1602SC; maybe the Flat-4 Kaede). I might be situating the power supply behind the amp on my desk and offset a bit for the power cord into the amp. That should work. 

(Well... maybe side by side.)

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #3,478 of 6,326
  the problem is the stacking of the amp directly on top of the power supply. to get the advantage of the separate units, they should be placed side by side or on separate shelves

Thanks for the information. Problem solved. Put the power supply and amp about 8 inches away vertically, no more humming. Now I can use GS-X with 1964-V6 plugged to 4-pin balanced out.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #3,479 of 6,326

Thanks Justin. Problem solved. Put the power supply and amp about 8 inches away vertically, no more humming. Now I can use GS-X with sensitive IEMs.

Sounds like you have away enough distance for the field from the PS to be much lower than the V6 can pick up.  Very insightful.  Anyway, glad you found a solution for the V6 which is quite sensitive.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #3,480 of 6,326
Today I received my GS-X. Thank You, Justin! Currently it's stacked but may be I will rearrange it. Made a few photos in it's current state. Sorry for blurry quality of the pics :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back