The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Aug 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #3,496 of 6,326

I have read a lot of his posts not just one (if that's what your getting at) and no there is nothing wrong with that - there were 4 or 5 others who chimed in and had bad things to say. I just thought it strange because i hadn't heard of such negativity directed towards the GSX all in one place like that before. 

I though it might spark some good conversation and it did IMO. 

I don't think you are reading into it correctly. I don't think the GSX was bashed, nor feel ppl expressed it was a bad amp. All that was said is that it did not pair well with an HD-800, which is the cans you currently use. In some people's opinion, it's a mixture of an analytical headphone with an analytical amp.

You also said that you listen to mostly old jazz and sort of laid back music. In that case you were also told that the combo might not be as problematic. Modern jazz might be a problem if you are using your HD-800s with this amp though, but you also said that does not make up the majority of what you listen. If such is the case you might not experience any problems.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #3,497 of 6,326
  Its amazing how I haven't heard any bad things about GSX MK2 / HD800 and now all of a sudden they are all jumping on the bandwagon. Some of the stuff spouted is a bit ridiculous to be fair. 

Search for posts by me in this thread... It's not new and not all of the sudden buddy.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #3,498 of 6,326
  Search for posts by me in this thread... It's not new and not all of the sudden buddy.

will do thanks. 

I don't think you are reading into it correctly. I don't think the GSX was bashed, nor feel ppl expressed it was a bad amp. All that was said is that it did not pair well with an HD-800, which is the cans you currently use. In some people's opinion, it's a mixture of an analytical headphone with an analytical amp.

You also said that you listen to mostly old jazz and sort of laid back music. In that case you were also told that the combo might not be as problematic. Modern jazz might be a problem if you are using your HD-800s with this amp though, but you also said that does not make up the majority of what you listen. If such is the case you might not experience any problems.

Actually yes all that was said was that it might not be a good pairing with HD800. Maybe I made it sound a bit more dramatic than it actually was. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,499 of 6,326
  Havent looked, dont read the HD800 thread, but going to guess Head-Fi isnt the only forum read by the 'basher(s)'?

Justin, I don't think you need to feel that way. There was no organized effort to bash your amp.

I simply answered a direct question regarding the GSX2 and HD800 combination in another thread. It was my opinion. One man's opinion. I didn't go out and start a new thread on top HD800 amps to bait the question. I didn't go out and start a in brand new post a review of the GSX2. I didn't go out and even say anything in this thread. I even pointed out positive aspects of the GSX2. If I had wanted to go out and truly bash your amp, you would have known it: I would have borrowed a GSX2, done a comparison with three other amps, taken pictures, and written in more subtle manner (where readers would have likely taken me more seriously), like what I did with the HD700 review I wrote a while back.

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #3,500 of 6,326
The only thing that is a little off is same group of people posting all at once with negative comments who do all know each other. Probably thought support was needed given the amount of love the gsx receives. But I think there was little counter bashing by others so it probably makes it look more insidious than intended. At this point, In my opinion, purrin and co. got across their opinion of gsx and hd800. Any more discussion by them will look like to me an attempt to keep the topic alive for reasons outside of what they have already stated.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #3,502 of 6,326
2 ppl I know - 1 who only showed up b/c he was badly misquoted by another.

2 ppl I Pm about once every quarter.

2 ppl I don't know.

I don't think paradoxper and prepoman helped. Good dissenting opinions, but they just added fuel to the fire by making it more personal rather than talking about what they felt about the amp.

One thing I have observed is that people tend to be afraid of speaking negatively of certain products, especially of they are mafia approved and protected. I simply paved the way for others to voice their opinions without repercussion.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #3,503 of 6,326
Yup. I joined the conversation and added my impressions (which were honest and shared with others way before this recent developments) after Preproman's attempt to discredit what I perceived matched what I heard in a let say less than diplomatic fashion.

Furthermore, going back to Paradoxper's now moderated post, I think the quote in there even agreed that this combo (GSX2 + HD-800) was not optimal... Should that now removed quote also be perceived as a negative and perhaps insidious anti-GSX2 comment?

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,504 of 6,326
I don't think paradoxper and prepoman helped. Good dissenting opinions, but they just added fuel to the fire by making it more personal rather than talking about what they felt about the amp.

One thing I have observed is that people tend to be afraid of speaking negatively of certain products, especially of they are mafia approved and protected. I simply paved the way for others to voice their opinions without repercussion.

BS. I have no skin in that game at all. I just wanted some clarification on a few things, which you provided, for whatever it was worth.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3,505 of 6,326
  Yup. I joined the conversation and added my impressions (which were honest and shared with others way before this recent developments) after Preproman's attempt to discredit what I perceived matched what I heard in a let say less than diplomatic fashion.

Furthermore, going back to Paradoxper's now moderated post, I think the quote in there even agreed that this combo (GSX2 + HD-800) was not optimal... Should that now removed quote also be perceived as a negative and perhaps insidious anti-GSX2 comment?

Please point out where I attempted  to discredit what you perceived matched what you heard in a let say less than diplomatic fashion.   Where is this less diplomatic fashion?

What a load of crap..I'm talking straight BS 
cool.gif

Nope. I also heard the GSX mk2 + H800 and it was a pretty darn bright combo. Great build, but SQ-wise proly much better with something like an HE-500 or similar signature.

I know at some point you paired your HE-6 with the GSX mk2. I find that rather painful. Protect your hearing man.

Edited by ultrabike - Yesterday at 6:54 pm

Then this:

Nope. I also heard the GSX mk2 + H800 and it was a pretty darn bright combo. Proly better with something like an HE-500 or similar signature.

I know at some point you paired your HE-6 with the GSX mk2. I find that rather painful. Protect your hearing man.

Sorry dude, Yeah - it's a load of crap - period.  Even the lessor amps of all kinds are not exaggerated upon like that.  That was over exaggerated as over exaggerated can get.  

The HE-6 with the GS-X mk2 was a pretty good match for a headphone amp - not the best by far, but not as bad as some would make it seem.

It seems to be some kind of product bias,

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #3,506 of 6,326

It seems though you like to jump in and defend your brethren at all cost..  

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3,507 of 6,326
Your quoting from an unmentionable website (post since deleted) could be construed as stirring the pot. Don't act all innocent and all.

I can't but feel that some people just want to see an all out war so they can enjoy the spectacle.

Personally I'd just like to put this behind all of us and not give it any more attention than it deserves and move on.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #3,509 of 6,326
Well, settling down tonight with the GS-X Mk2 and my HD800s with some Blue Radio after a busy day at work (audit by one of our biggest customers and a huge aerospace company
confused.gif
...at least it went swimmingly)...still a fantastic combination! Along my journey I've owned many amps for the HD800s that have come and gone, but 2 years later and the GS-X is still here. If someone doesn't like the HD800s, then don't look for a revealing amp like the GS-X MK2 that will only show you what you've got on your hands. Are the HD800s on the brighter side? Sure, but are they overly so with the GS-X when compared to the WA2, WA22, LF, certainly not to my ears. Actually the bass with the GS-X Mk2 is the best I've heard the HD800s...as tight and deep as ever. But again, these aren't basshead headphones...so look elsewhere if that's what you're looking for. Of these 4 amps, I've really enjoyed each one...the Lyr and Concerto (which I've also owned along side the HD800s) though were not good matches to my ears. The WA22 seemed the best "tuned" for the HD800s, but again, I like their sound quite a bit as is and don't feel a need to make them into something they are not (BTW, no amp can do this with any headphones...they can accentuate regions or characteristics that you many like or dislike).

Best "bang for your buck" I owned was the MAD Ear+HD (at about $450 used), but it lacked the transparency, details and imaging of these other amps. I actually preferred the T1s over the HD800s on that amp as a result, but upgrades in amps / dacs pulled the HD800s ahead. As I've mentioned, I still have the GS-X Mk2 and have zero plans on looking for another amp. Most of my music is rock/hard rock/metal/jazz (new and old) and some classical and so very satisfying to my ears.

Will everyone agree? Certainly not...this is Head-Fi after all. But I hear the GS-X Mk2 more closely to Solude, Tyll, Asr, and purk. All I can say is listen for yourself and trust your own ears...they'll never lead you astray.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #3,510 of 6,326
I'm guessing the 0 impedance amps sounds thin, and people are probably getting that undamped bass from the distortion from the warm amps*check how big that output impedance is).  It's preference.  I suspect the HD800 sound bright with GSX like with any SS amps as it's damped pretty good, which is how the HD800 should sound since it's designed that way.  800 is bright and thin, and if you don't like that, cook it up with some tubezzz.  

Newbie:  Oh no, the HD800 is bright!  

HD800 user:  Try the BH crack.  
biggrin.gif

Crack has output impedance of 120ohms.  Huge contrast from the GSX, it will give you that warm sound from the distortions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back