The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Mar 28, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #961 of 6,346
Quote:

Gotcha...

Can a gain switch be added to the Dynahi?

Sure.  The boards don't allow for that option though but it could be added externally on a small daughter board. 

Another option could be the Krell KSA-5 which we have reworked.  It hasn't been tested yet but we'll get around to it and it ticks all the right boxes for driving the HD800. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #962 of 6,346
Use what you like.  Yours ears will tell you when you've gone too far.  Gain is a multiplier not a power changer.  But since you aren't running out of sweep on L... use L.  In other news... how gimpy is that source?  I listen to the HD800 around 11 o'clock on L.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #963 of 6,346
Quote:
^ Anything you'd like to share about the HD800s + GS-X compared to the BHSE + SR009s ?   Or the LCD-3s?  I'm especially interested in the sound stage since some have said the HD800 is more spacious.  Thanks.

I heard both last winter at a local meet. it should be noted that the HD800 was driven SE. the stax combo was better resolving and had a smaller, more intimate sound stage. with the electrostatics the sound was more localized. You could very easily point to where the sound is coming from. the senn sound was more diffuse. I think that may have to do with how wide the senn soundstage is -- everything is kind of stretched. As far as extension goes, I think they were the same or at least close enough that one did not stand out from the other. Maybe the treble on the stax was a bit more sparkly, in very pleasant way. the bass was the same, as far as I recall. While these differences are relative and not huge, they are noticeable (some more than others).  

Re LCD-3, I think the Senn combo more closely resembled the electrostatics than the planars. Please keep in mind that I am not a huge audeze fan, so it is very likely that i ignored some things that you audeze fans value when I was listening.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #964 of 6,346
Quote:
You could very easily point to where the sound is coming from. the senn sound was more diffuse. I think that may have to do with how wide the senn soundstage is -- everything is kind of stretched.

The Stax are likely always more focused but the Senn is source and amp dependent for that effect.  The HD800 on a B22 and Stello or W4S is a mess with instruments taking massive space and frankly sounding like elevator music in return.  On the GS-X mk2 with the PWD2 the focus is pin point.  Instruments take up millimetres where on the other rig it was centimetres and pushed way back.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #965 of 6,346
Solude, I'm still kind of new to audiophile gear, so sorry for asking such a mind numbing question, and yes you are right my source isn't up to the level of the GS-X. Just didn't expect to have a answer wrapped up with a flame, but that's ok
Quote:
Use what you like.  Yours ears will tell you when you've gone too far.  Gain is a multiplier not a power changer.  But since you aren't running out of sweep on L... use L.  In other news... how gimpy is that source?  I listen to the HD800 around 11 o'clock on L.

What a friggin Hero

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #966 of 6,346
Hehe I meant the output level not the quality level :wink:  In a world of 2V+ sources something weaker is rare.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #967 of 6,346
Quote:

The Stax are likely always more focused but the Senn is source and amp dependent for that effect.  The HD800 on a B22 and Stello or W4S is a mess with instruments taking massive space and frankly sounding like elevator music in return.  On the GS-X mk2 with the PWD2 the focus is pin point.  Instruments take up millimetres where on the other rig it was centimetres and pushed way back.

That's good to know Solude! Thanks man.
PWD is on my list of components I would like to check out.
My experience is with the NAD m51 on phonior and Oppo BDP95 with GSX. Both seemed to present that stretched out image. THis is all from memory though so I may eat my words when I actually get my GSX.
In any case, PWD 2 seems like something I would enjoy - something I look for in my music presentation. THanks!

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #968 of 6,346
Yep no prob's It's a Asus essence one, I know its not ideal but all my savings went into the GS-X, so source is next. maybe Audio-Gd Master 7 not sure yet

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #970 of 6,346
Hey guys, just wanna ask if the GS-X is good with my Grado PS1000 (with balanced cable).
And would the GS-1 see any upgrades or new versions soon?

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #971 of 6,346
New GS-1 isn't coming.  New modules can be purchased for the original GS-1 though.

Apache v GS-X mk2... given the first version walked all over opamp buffer that is the Apache, nothing has changed.  Problem with most of RSA's stuff is the price.  They just aren't competitive in the their price range.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #972 of 6,346
Hmmm... The GS-1 is said to be out of stock on the website.
Maybe email Justin directly will I get good news? Thx for the notice.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #974 of 6,346
Quote:
New GS-1 isn't coming.  New modules can be purchased for the original GS-1 though.

Apache v GS-X mk2... given the first version walked all over opamp buffer that is the Apache, nothing has changed.  Problem with most of RSA's stuff is the price.  They just aren't competitive in the their price range.

Yup, can't agree more.  My Gilmore Reference Balanced (GS-X MKI equivalent) also walked over Woo Audio 5 as well as Eddie Current Zana Deux.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #975 of 6,346
So after much debate and research, it seems like the HeadAmp GS-X is the best solid-state amplifier around at the present. At least as a great all-around amp that works with a wide variety of headphones. My question to you that own, or have heard the GS-X MK II, do you think Schiit Statement amp will be able to touch the performance of the GS-X? I know there has been little knowledge about the amp that has been released, but I'm really trying to get some feedback as to what people think. I want to buy a SS amp that is good with a wide variety of headphones and IEMs, and it looks like the GS-X will definitely fit that bill. But, I'm wary to buy too soon, because I know the statement amp hasn't yet released. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back