The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Mar 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #781 of 6,346
I
I would think being heavy enough to not slide around is also the small stuff.  Guess it comes down to whether you think 2" of vertical isolation is better than horizontal :wink:  

Something like the BHSE would keep the benefits of separating the transformer but add some weight to the main amp.  Just spit balling for mk3 in 2020 :D
hear ya but then it would probably be priced out if my reach. I am drooling as I wait for my gsx in early summer

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #782 of 6,346
The GS-X mk2 arrived today, therefore some first impressions:
Setup is: jriver or foobar --> Invicta DAC --> Crimson RM Audio balaced --> Headamp GS-X mk2 --> HD800 (single ended standard cable (balanced DHC Molecule SE ordered some weeks ago)).

It's just a comparison between the above setup and what I used during the past months: jriver or foobar --> Invicta DAC --> HD800.
Be aware that the Invicta built-in headphone amp(s) are excellent and better than many (most) standalone desktop headphone amps.

Listened to: Kari Bremnes - Erindring / Jethro Tull - Aqualung (40th anniversary edition, 24/96) / Fotheringay - Banks of the Nile / Gene Clark & Carla Olson - So Rebellious a Lover / Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall (24/192)

The main improvements, which where immediatly evident:
- lower mids and bass
- Authority. I have met this word in other descriptions and reviews. I never really understood what the writers meant with "authority"... until I switched the GS-X mk2 on!

It's a significant step up compared to the previous configuration - and I was not even using the HD800 in balanced mode.

A minor thing, which could be improved is: when the pre-amp is switched on, the headphone outs should be muted. At least I would prefer it.

Excellent work, Justin. Thank you very much!

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #783 of 6,346
Quote:
Original 1, 3, 8 was ideal.  And as long as we're nit picking...

Agreed. I'm very happy with unity gain (for my IEMs) and a gain of 8 is plenty (but I'm not planning on picking up the HE-6s again). 

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #785 of 6,346
Quote:
I
hear ya but then it would probably be priced out if my reach. I am drooling as I wait for my gsx in early summer

You're only drooling?  I've got Nausea Headache Diarrhea Dry Mouth Constipation Vomiting Dizziness Insomnia Hair Loss . . . . lol . . .
eek.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #786 of 6,346
Quote:
You're only drooling?  I've got Nausea Headache Diarrhea Dry Mouth Constipation Vomiting Dizziness Insomnia Hair Loss . . . . lol . . .
eek.gif

eek.gif
 is right! I feel ya brother! 

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #788 of 6,346
Quote:
the high gain setting of the original GS-X wasn't sufficient to make use of the higher voltage swing of the new modules/power supply on the GS-X mk2, unless you have a very high output source.  

Unless you meant 15dB and not 15x, that would be one weak source.  Standard for home gear is ~2V, usually higher to win the loudness wars, Dynalo+ modules can do ~8Vrms so even 5x caps it out let alone 8x for quieter music, ya?

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #789 of 6,346
Quote:

Unless you meant 15dB and not 15x, that would be one weak source.  Standard for home gear is ~2V, usually higher to win the loudness wars, Dynalo+ modules can do ~8Vrms so even 5x caps it out let alone 8x for quieter music, ya?

possibly but anyone who is turning the volume up to max on high gain is not going to be happy with the "power"

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Mar 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #790 of 6,346
I am disappointed in the MK2. How come the loop output doesn't work unless the amp is on? I just tested it and the loop output immediately died when I powered the amp off. This is the first time I've had a HeadAmp amp not have passive loop output. Justin, please tell me there's a solution.
wink.gif

Btw I saw this part in the manual since Justin mentioned it earlier:

Quote from GS-X MK2 manual:
"Position the Power Supply and Amplifier boxes side by side or on different shelves of a rack with proper ventilation. Stacking the amplifier on top of the power supply is not recommended as it will increase the noise floor and block the power supply ventilation. Never stack the power supply on top of the amplifier as ventilation of the amplifier is even more important."

So there you have it folks.

Quote:
I get the same hum as Asr but have to use an IEM and have to go well beyond the level I could tolerate on the IEM to hear it.  But it's not power supply related since it's power supply is 4ft below it and everything else is powered off.  To be fair the B22 and Soloist do the same thing.

Not to beat a horse here but I thought I was really clear about what I was hearing earlier. It was a power transformer-like electrical hum, clearly audible at Low gain and zero volume (not that the volume pot did anything though - it stayed the same regardless of volume setting). Mr.Sneis and I are seriously the only people who've heard it so far? It was not the kind of noise that was amplified by the volume pot. It was immediately apparent when I first powered up the amp and didn't go away until I separated the PSU from the amp by about 2'.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #791 of 6,346
Quote:

Not to beat a horse here but I thought I was really clear about what I was hearing earlier. It was a power transformer-like electrical hum, clearly audible at Low gain and zero volume (not that the volume pot did anything though - it stayed the same regardless of volume setting). Mr.Sneis and I are seriously the only people who've heard it so far? It was not the kind of noise that was amplified by the volume pot. It was immediately apparent when I first powered up the amp and didn't go away until I separated the PSU from the amp by about 2'.

Your description is bang-on about what I hear as well.  I'm thinking that they just haven't tried the ad2k as my other headphones are nowhere near as noticeable, RS-1 included.    

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #793 of 6,346
Quote:

Your description is bang-on about what I hear as well.  I'm thinking that they just haven't tried the ad2k as my other headphones are nowhere near as noticeable, RS-1 included.    

Going to go out on a limb here and guess my Westone UM3X are more sensitive than the AD2K :wink:  No constant hum here just the amplified type hum.

And to beat a dead horse one last time.  I wish we would have known about the gain change so we could have talked you out of it or requested custom values.  Too late now :frowning2:

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #794 of 6,346
Quote:

Going to go out on a limb here and guess my Westone UM3X are more sensitive than the AD2K :wink:  No constant hum here just the amplified type hum.

And to beat a dead horse one last time.  I wish we would have known about the gain change so we could have talked you out of it or requested custom values.  Too late now :frowning2:

While the gain setting are cool for the Heaphone outs.  It really is too much for the preamp.  (on High anyway) IMO.  Oh well having the a20 is looking better and better..

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #795 of 6,346
True that, I can clip my power amp on low gain /shrug  Anyway I think we've beat it enough.

I'm at work and away from my notes but not surprisingly the GS-X mk2 swept it against the Burson Soloist.  The Soloist did close the gap between the B22 and GS-X mk2 in all areas but tonally was similar to the B22.  So if the GS-X mk2 is 'neutral' the B22 and Soloist are bright and thin/dry or the B22 and Soloist are neutral and the GS-X mk2 is tilted down and full/liquid.

Full review posted tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back