The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Mar 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #751 of 6,342
I'll likely run an A/B of the GS-X and the B22 tonight.  Definitely with the HD800 maybe even as preamps.  Then again Thursday maybe against the Soloist.

Waiting with anticipation.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #754 of 6,342
http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Master file is DXD and converted to all other formats.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #755 of 6,342
Thanks guys.....   Good looking out.

beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #758 of 6,342
yea, the 2L stuff is incredible.  For a variety don't forget about the head-fi official test tracks.

But HDtracks actually lets you sample the music at the same resolution they advertise to sell the tracks at so you can basically use the 'samples' too.  Though I find this really only helpful when testing a DAC (since they have music at all sample rates).

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #759 of 6,342
Quote:
yea, the 2L stuff is incredible.  For a variety don't forget about the head-fi official test tracks.

But HDtracks actually lets you sample the music at the same resolution they advertise to sell the tracks at so you can basically use the 'samples' too.  Though I find this really only helpful when testing a DAC (since they have music at all sample rates).

Got it..

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #760 of 6,342
Quote:
I'll likely run an A/B of the GS-X and the B22 tonight.  Definitely with the HD800 maybe even as preamps.  Then again Thursday maybe against the Soloist.

Quote:
Need some recommendations.  

I want to download a few High Res Classical CDs of HD tracks, that will aid very well when comparing DACs/AMPs/Headphones.  Any ideas?

Julia Fischer Bach Concetos (DECCA).  One of the movements is especially good for A/B testing.  I'll try to figure out which one and let you know.

EDIT: 
This CD is loaded with good test material for classical listeners.  The 5th cut is especially good with full range of deep bass, delicate mid-range harmonics, and sustained trebles.  (Bach Concerto for Violin, strings and continuo in A minor BWV 1041,  2nd movement, Andante)

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #761 of 6,342
You can send classical suggestions until you are blue in the face... never going to listen to them :p

A/B complete just taking a breather and then I can go over my notes to write my summary.  Back in a bit.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #762 of 6,342
First things first.  This is a comparison A/B so any negative remarks are in comparison and not global.  Both amps were dB matched to 79dB pink noise, only the HD800 single ended was used.  Notes taken were of what was heard not trying to compare audio memory to current sensory input.  Blah blah, getting on with it...

Long and short of it is the B22 just isn't at the same level, it just isn't.  It is more imposing though and less than half the price so ya :wink:

My notes on the B22 summarize as it having good tonal balance, a tone that is honest to the recording, staging was fairly flat with little variance in height or depth and instruments on the stage tended to take more space almost blob like.  Resolution and definition was good but slightly out of focus sometimes collapsing during busy passages.  The bottom ran together on occasion with poor separation of bass drum and bass guitar.  The possibly overly honest tone also resulted in a somewhat dry, compressed feel with a hard sounding top end.

Reiterate, IN COMPARISON TO.  The B22 smokes nearly everything solid state with the only amps I tend to prefer being the GS-X mk2 and Soloist.

Getting on to the meat of the thread...

The new modules are either the anti stereotypical Dynalo sound or continue to be transparent and I just really love the PWD2 sound.  Can't know for sure but my notes on the GS-1 with the W4S DAC-2 and these ones don't line up... at all.

The tonal balance on the GS-X mk2 is slightly shifted down providing beautiful full weighty music while retaining it's signature tight control.  Staging is precise with good width and height and some depth, resolution and definition are top shelf with nothing lost in the mix, separation is incredible as is dynamic range and that dead silence feeling that a pitch black background delivers.  The entire range is butter smooth giving some forgiveness to sibilance and shouty sections.  Speed is not an issue, it easily tracked high speed cymbal play.

It is to borrow a tired expression it's a piece that will have you finding things in tracks you know front to back.  Scary good and I'm still using the HD800 stock single ended cable.  I'll probably A/B the GS-X mk2 and Soloist single ended as well later this week.  Their designs are similar so it should be interesting to hear the effect of part selection and power supply.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #763 of 6,342
Nice impressions Solude.
The β22 did nothing special for my HD800s. With the LCD it was a different story, I found it a great pairing.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #764 of 6,342
Quote:
The tonal balance on the GS-X mk2 is slightly shifted down providing beautiful full weighty music while retaining it's signature tight control.

Great comparison. The added weight was my first impression after installing Dynalo+ modules into GS-1, they made W5000 sound really authoritative down low.
Is Soloist really that good?

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #765 of 6,342
Quote:
First things first.  This is a comparison A/B so any negative remarks are in comparison and not global.  Both amps were dB matched to 79dB pink noise, only the HD800 single ended was used.  Notes taken were of what was heard not trying to compare audio memory to current sensory input.  Blah blah, getting on with it...

Long and short of it is the B22 just isn't at the same level, it just isn't.  It is more imposing though and less than half the price so ya :wink:

My notes on the B22 summarize as it having good tonal balance, a tone that is honest to the recording, staging was fairly flat with little variance in height or depth and instruments on the stage tended to take more space almost blob like.  Resolution and definition was good but slightly out of focus sometimes collapsing during busy passages.  The bottom ran together on occasion with poor separation of bass drum and bass guitar.  The possibly overly honest tone also resulted in a somewhat dry, compressed feel with a hard sounding top end.

Reiterate, IN COMPARISON TO.  The B22 smokes nearly everything solid state with the only amps I tend to prefer being the GS-X mk2 and Soloist.

Getting on to the meat of the thread...

The new modules are either the anti stereotypical Dynalo sound or continue to be transparent and I just really love the PWD2 sound.  Can't know for sure but my notes on the GS-1 with the W4S DAC-2 and these ones don't line up... at all.

The tonal balance on the GS-X mk2 is slightly shifted down providing beautiful full weighty music while retaining it's signature tight control.  Staging is precise with good width and height and some depth, resolution and definition are top shelf with nothing lost in the mix, separation is incredible as is dynamic range and that dead silence feeling that a pitch black background delivers.  The entire range is butter smooth giving some forgiveness to sibilance and shouty sections.  Speed is not an issue, it easily tracked high speed cymbal play.

It is to borrow a tired expression it's a piece that will have you finding things in tracks you know front to back.  Scary good and I'm still using the HD800 stock single ended cable.  I'll probably A/B the GS-X mk2 and Soloist single ended as well later this week.  Their designs are similar so it should be interesting to hear the effect of part selection and power supply.

nice write up Solude! While I have not heard either amp you are comparing to, their reputation speaks for itself. I am looking forward to further comparisons. 

All you other new owners, keep them coming, I am gonna live vicariously though you all until my own GSX arrives sometime in early Summer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back