The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Mar 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #813 of 6,346
Quote:
Cost no object I'll go with a highly custom made B22 over any Burson any day of the week.

Then you may not like the GS-X mk2 because it just continues on the direction the Soloist takes the B22 up a few notches while adding fullness and deep powerful bass.  And yep my previous B22 was balanced, top shelf parts, great builder and also doubled as a pre.  Third favourite amp.  I'd put the FirstWatt F3 below it since it was even less focused.  Maybe even below the WA22.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #814 of 6,346
Quote:

Then you may not like the GS-X mk2 because it just continues on the direction the Soloist takes the B22 up a few notches while adding fullness and deep powerful bass.  And yep my previous B22 was balanced, top shelf parts, great builder and also doubled as a pre.  Third favourite amp.  I'd put the FirstWatt F3 below it since it was even less focused.  Maybe even below the WA22.

On the contrary.  

The GS-X mk2 is shaping up to be a wonderful amp.  Just like the GS-1.  In fact it I still put the GS-1 over all the amps I've had in the past.  Except the 4 channel B22.  Now with the arrival of the GS-X mk2 - It seems to do all things better than the B22 except bass quantity.  Bass quality goes to the GS-X mk2.  The B22 also is the warmer amp that adds a bit of color to the presentation as is more forgiving.  The GS-X mk2 / Master 7 / HD800 is the most honest, transparent / revealing rig I've yet to hear - other than the BHSE / 009.

As for the HE-6.  The First Watt F1J / PWD2 is a match made in heaven and will be very hard to beat.

As for Burson amps..  I hope they did better with the Soloist.  I couldn't get that other Burson amp sold fast enough.

IMO...

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #815 of 6,346
HA-160 was junk no question about it.  Soloist is just shy of a Dynalo clone though, circuit not sound, with less but more powerful output devices.  Different strokes then /shrug

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #816 of 6,346
I

[/quote
I think the f3 is quite focused when I feed it high def tracks through the m51 and listen through he6. Actually I think the focus on he6 with that set up is better than with hd800. Granted I have not heard woo amps or beta. I only heard gsx in a meet but from memory i think the gsx will be better focused but f3 will be warmer - at least with he6. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #817 of 6,346
So if the pre gain is kind of aggressive, would a tube buffer help? Sorry if I am asking a dumb question.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #818 of 6,346
Nope not silly but also not of any use to drop the gain.  Buffer by definition is unity gain.

The gain thing isn't that bad because unity gain is available.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #819 of 6,346
David,

Can you please give some details about the support you photo-copied below.

And the supports  you are thinking of using with the GS-X

Quote:
I'll get four supports similar to the one below to lift the PSU about an 1"

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #820 of 6,346
A question for you guys.  How many of you actually use the pre-amp capabilities of your head phone amp?  I've owned countless amps over the years that could double as pre-amps and not once did I find use for the pre-amp!  I'm not a separates guy though, usually a vintage receiver is what I use so that's the root of the problem in my case.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #821 of 6,346
Quote:
A question for you guys.  How many of you actually use the pre-amp capabilities of your head phone amp?  I've owned countless amps over the years that could double as pre-amps and not once did I find use for the pre-amp!  I'm not a separates guy though, usually a vintage receiver is what I use so that's the root of the problem in my case.

Not at all.  I think the pre-amp option is great but a loop out is more important for me these days given my multiple setup.  I also use a Sony ES receiver (STR-TA9000ES) for my HT system.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #822 of 6,346
Quote:
How many of you actually use the pre-amp capabilities of your head phone amp?

If the amp doesn't have pre-out it doesn't even make the list.  I need an amp that can double as a pre for my powered monitors since desk space limits how many pieces I can use without it just getting silly.  And the GS-X mk2 is an awesome pre.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #823 of 6,346
Quote:

If the amp doesn't have pre-out it doesn't even make the list.  I need an amp that can double as a pre for my powered monitors since desk space limits how many pieces I can use without it just getting silly.  And the GS-X mk2 is an awesome pre.

nice! Good to hear.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #824 of 6,346
Quote:
David,

Can you please give some details about the support you photo-copied below.

And the supports  you are thinking of using with the GS-X

Hi haarvi,

I've four of the one shown in the photo, they were made mainly to lift my power purifier to the same level as my BHSE's PSU.
They are made of solid stainless steel to which I put leather on the bottom.
I asked the place that did me the four whether they could do me eight at a smaller size for my GS-X, but apparently they're very busy, so another place is doing me eight, it's just a local engineering shop.
Today I gave them a drawing of the look and measurements I wanted.

Two can just be made out supporting my power purifier.
The PP is also pretty level with my BHSE's PSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back