The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Oct 18, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #5,161 of 6,346
I heard the KEF LS50 at the HK showroom and I had to own them someday. I kept going back to the showroom when I visited HK and I still had to own them. They are expensive though. I was fortunate to visit said showroom when it and the entire computer/audio mall it was located in were being shut down. I got a good deal to walk a pair out the door. I have never looked back.

Living in China, I grabbed an Audio GD Precision 1 shipped up from Shenzhen for a song. 90 watts of clean power is plenty. My Precision 1 is wired with an input that bypasses the preamp section so that I can use it with the GS-X mk2. (That amp is no longer available; Audio GD has gone upmarket.) 

Just get a clean amp biased into Class A and go to the higher end of the 25-100 watt power range.

The LS50 are insanely popular with critics and consumers and there is the expected pushback. That is fair; they are not the only speakers out there and tastes vary. But they are popular for a reason. I like them.

+1 for the Precision 1 and LS50's. Cool to see a fellow member with the same setup (minus the GSX).

90w is more than plenty if using them nearfield (I use them in a computer desktop setup).

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #5,162 of 6,346

Feel free to PM me as I don't want to derail this thread with speaker and speaker amp talk, but I figured I would it address it once since I've recently had a few people message me (on Head-fi and other forums) about Amphions and/or the LS50 in particular. I figured there might be more people in this thread that might be interested as they're typically maxed out with the GS-X and headphones and might be looking at speakers next.

To start off, I have zero experience with ELACs. However, the LS50 I've heard for extended period of time by myself in a decent room where I've heard other speakers and there is nothing wrong with the room. The rig consisted of PrimaLuna pre and power amps, Luxman power amps, PS Audio PerfectWave Mk2, NAD M51, M50, PS Audio Powerplant P10. I played around with different DACs, transport, all major music genres, and power amp combos to get a good baseline of how the speakers performed.

I went in looking to buy as I had heard only good things about them and they looked beautiful. They ended up sounding good, but it didn't feel natural and the sound was somewhat boxy. It just wouldn't gel with what I've come to expect in both headphones and speakers. Even the Q900 seemed better for pure casual purposes.

I thought it was the cabinet and driver size that resulted in my lack of preference with LS50's. I currently have the Amphion One15 with the Amphion amp and Amphion speaker cable. Unlike the LS50, the One15's are sealed and have a passive radiator at the back which moves in conjunction with the front driver. They're both the same size roughly. However, they sound worlds apart. In front of the Amphions, the LS50 sound broken. The LS50 simply doesn't make sense. The One15's are anything but boxy and these sound RIGHT. Far better resolution, better bass punch and extension, imaging is HD 800, no holes in the mids. My only other choice in nearfield is the ATC SCM20asl Pro Mk2. The One15's crossover is 1600 Hz which results in the mids being untouched.

Another benefit of the One15 is that they still sound really good in small and untreated rooms. Anssi, the designer of Amphion, really wanted these to be as little as room dependent as possible and it definitely shows. Hundreds of positive reviews from the pro community with nothing negative to say. (Same goes for the Dangerous Convert-2 I previously mentioned. 100% positive reviews about the Convert-2 from the mastering community and consistently coming at the top of its class from Apollo, Burl, Prism, Benchmark, Lavry.). It's definitely not hype at this point.

Here's a quick vid showing how the One15's in a studio sound relative to other monitors. Of course, it sounds different in real life listening to them, but even then you should be able to point out how the other monitors sound broken in the mids and top end compared to One15s. It definitely holds up with my experiences:

Another vid of Anssi talking about the Amphion systems and design philosophy. Worth the watch in general!

Regarding the LS50. A lot of people love them, some don't, some so so. I would audition it first hand to see where how they fit your expectations. Also, if you've heard other top systems from ATC, PSI, PMC, Focal, Barefoot, then your opinion will also vary. So your experience may vary based on your reference point. I've also had other friends tell me to whom I've suggested the One15 that currently or previously had the LS50 that they all prefer the One15 by a fair margin. You can google and will find a few comparison of LS50 and One15 and all way give the preference to the Amphion sound.

Alright, that's all from me on speakers. Back to the GS-X.
smile.gif

Thank you very much for this really nice overview! I'll contact you off-line for any further discussions. And my apologies to the community. I just thought that the GSX-MK2 is so good that it would be a waste of not using the pre-amp and to connect it to a nice amp/loudspeakers. Thanks for your understanding!

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #5,163 of 6,346
My speaker set up :
GSX-Mk2 --> First Watt M2 --> Sonus Faber Cremona

This is giving me the same detail resolution as the HD800 and this is at pretty low volume level: low gain, "1pm" on the volume of the GSX (DACT). Everything is just there and you can listen completely relaxed, you don't have to listen hard to get any details and you don't have to crank up the volume to hear it all. Love it
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #5,164 of 6,346
  My speaker set up :

This is giving me the same detail resolution as the HD800 and this is at pretty low volume level: low gain, "1pm" on the volume of the GSX (DACT). Everything is just there and you can listen completely relaxed, you don't have to listen hard to get any details and you don't have to crank up the volume to hear it all. Love it
biggrin.gif

That M2 looks very nice.

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #5,166 of 6,346
  My speaker set up :

biggrin.gif

Geez

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #5,167 of 6,346

Wow - that's an amazing setup!!  I'm a big fan of nearly anything SF.

You avatar shows...
wink.gif

I have not heard any of their latest stuff but a few years back I heard the Sonus Faber Fenice, the tech flagship, limited to 20 pairs and about 250kEur. Maybe it was just the pairing with a wrong amp (Krell KRA, 1000W class A monoblocks) but there was not foot stomping, no hand clapping the rhythm. It was an overdamped, perfectly resonance free behemoth of a speaker and a quite disappointing experience. The room got more than cozy w/o AC though.
rolleyes.gif

Mine is the old/original Cremona in light gold-brown wood, that looks like a musical instrument. About 8 years old (at least) and I'm still amazed how good these are in my room. I don't see any reason to upgrade. And btw the tweeter in the Cremona is the same type of driver like the HD800, a ring resonator.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #5,170 of 6,346
  For those thinking of adding a GS-X MkII to their system, waiting times are down to 3-4 weeks!  So you can easily order one for delivery over the holiday season.

Hello HeadAmpTeam,

What are the max power VA needs of the GSX-mk2 ?

Regards,

Claude,

Oct 28, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #5,171 of 6,346

Hello HeadAmpTeam,

What are the max power VA needs of the GSX-mk2 ?

Regards,

Claude,

The GS-X MkII draws about 30W out of the wall, being a class-A amplifier, it has a very consistent power usage. It is available in 100V, 115/120V, and 230/240V versions, and power draw is the same across all three variants. Thank you.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Oct 31, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #5,173 of 6,346
well bravo head amp. Just got my cables from double helix, so finally got to listen to whats been sitting on my desk. Nice, filled out the scale on hd800S perfectly. Its a real clear amp through TT.  Im just amazed rolling through my collection. eventually ill go direct to TT and A/B to see what my initial impressions are giving me. But its clear, full throttle sound, balanced yet solid from bass extension through mids and no sibilance in the upper. No color that i can detect, just true to TT which is true to conversion. A detail machine with plenty of power to spare, I think this thing is up for anything and plays it all well. Im a newbie to balanced output so I'm just going to listen and say I'm smiling, realize i don't have anything to compare what I'm hearing but thumbs up.

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #5,174 of 6,346
Just spent a memorable evening listening to Bell Evan's 'Some Other Time' in 96/24 high res. Wonderfully rich in details, a beautifully warm piano, and a gentle percussionist (Jack de Johnette) in the background. The GSX-MK 2 masters this beautifully recorded session with much brava. Super amp!!!

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #5,175 of 6,346
I keep flicking back to high gain. was it just chance that it was in that setting when i got it. It just makes percussion sound so alive. course low setting with the V pumped isn't bad either. 
Then again med gain there is less background noise. 

For TT owners do you leave the volume wheel on deep blue fixed line volume default, or move it up more. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back