The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Nov 4, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #5,176 of 6,342
Question: Is there any point to buying this amp if my source is single-ended? I have HD-800 and I'm trying to decide whether I should get a really good amp to use with the 800 until I buy better headphones next year (like the Abyss for example) or get a Stax 007 combo instead. I need an amp that I can use in conduction with my speaker set-up so I can switch between the two.

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #5,177 of 6,342
  Question: Is there any point to buying this amp if my source is single-ended? I have HD-800 and I'm trying to decide whether I should get a really good amp to use with the 800 until I buy better headphones next year (like the Abyss for example) or get a Stax 007 combo instead. I need an amp that I can use in conduction with my speaker set-up so I can switch between the two.

I own and use both the GS-1 and GS-X extensively and the HD800 is my preferred headphone too and my answer would be with a single ended source save your money.  Try and find a used GS-1 for around $800 and you'll get most of the performance the GS-X would deliver.

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #5,178 of 6,342

Don't you have a balanced XLR cable for the 800 as well?
I had the GS-1 w/Dynalo+ modules and it is awesome. I sold it after purchasing the 
GS-X mk2 and balanced most of my SE HP's. I also purchased it for future HP's like the Abyss.

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #5,179 of 6,342
  Don't you have a balanced XLR cable for the 800 as well?
I had the GS-1 w/Dynalo+ modules and it is awesome. I sold it after purchasing the 
GS-X mk2 and balanced most of my SE HP's. I also purchased it for future HP's like the Abyss.

No, I don't have a balanced cable but I don't mind buying a good one, however I read that if the source isn't balanced then the amp runs in single-ended operation hence it's potentially a waste.

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #5,181 of 6,342
If you have an se dac with only RCA outs, don't bother with a balanced amp like GSX mk2. Pick a se amp like Zana deux or something s/s se dac.

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #5,182 of 6,342
Concerning GSX mk2 I'm back to high gain, it sounds better to me.

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #5,183 of 6,342

Although the entire point of KG's design and meticulous matching of the 4 amp modules by Justin is the best possible implementation of the balanced concept, I think more importantly is that the amp is absolutely neutral. Any character (flaw) of the source will be heard loud and clear, balanced or not will not make a real difference here. Having said that, going with anything less than a truly balanced source with the GSX-Mk2 is a waste and obviously you will need to go for a balanced cable for the HD800 as well. If you have a good source and a good recording then you will be amazed to realize how direct the "old" HD800 will let you hear the sound of that recording ... it's like being in the studio.

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #5,184 of 6,342
Hmmmm, I guess the GSX-Mk2 isn't for me. Shame, as the Pico was my first ever headphone amp, albeit portable.

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #5,185 of 6,342
Although the entire point of KG's design and meticulous matching of the 4 amp modules by Justin is the best possible implementation of the balanced concept, I think more importantly is that the amp is absolutely neutral. Any character (flaw) of the source will be heard loud and clear, balanced or not will not make a real difference here. Having said that, going with anything less than a truly balanced source with the GSX-Mk2 is a waste and obviously you will need to go for a balanced cable for the HD800 as well. If you have a good source and a good recording then you will be amazed to realize how direct the "old" HD800 will let you hear the sound of that recording ... it's like being in the studio.

I strongly disagree with this.........I have both balanced sources and balanced headphones and no way am I hearing a prohibitive difference between SE and balanced on the GS-X mk2

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #5,187 of 6,342
I strongly disagree with this.........I have both balanced sources and balanced headphones and no way am I hearing a prohibitive difference between SE and balanced on the GS-X mk2

???

Me neither ...

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #5,188 of 6,342
  Hmmmm, I guess the GSX-Mk2 isn't for me. Shame, as the Pico was my first ever headphone amp, albeit portable.

We have plans to introduce a new GS-1. Unknown at this time is if it will be single ended like the original, or have some form of balanced but carry a higher price. Form factor will remain the same - sheet of paper desktop sized, single box. Honestly i'm skeptical that it would do well without balanced. I think people are becoming accustomed to seeing the 4-pin XLR on some pretty mainstream products, whether they use it or not

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 6, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #5,189 of 6,342

We have plans to introduce a new GS-1. Unknown at this time is if it will be single ended like the original, or have some form of balanced but carry a higher price. Form factor will remain the same - sheet of paper desktop sized, single box. Honestly i'm skeptical that it would do well without balanced. I think people are becoming accustomed to seeing the 4-pin XLR on some pretty mainstream products, whether they use it or not

That's pretty interesting. I know XLR seems to be favoured in the USA wheras the UK/Europe seems to lean more towards single-ended designs.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #5,190 of 6,342

That's fantastic news!  If it remains single ended I'd pay you in full now for it for an undetermined delivery date.

Unfortunately, as you said, somehow headphiles have equated balanced with superior.

It's a tough design decision I'm sure and I wish you the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back